Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2023, 08:37 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,003,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I would think that 40 years of homelessness and getting worse every decade is pretty absolute. In fact, with house prices and rents as high as they ever were and going even higher, the chance that Social Security might be cut back, and food and other essentials going sky high, I'd say homelessness is going to be here for a long, long time unless we do something now. I also think eventually we're going to look back on today as the good old days in seeing people camped in tents on the streets compared to what's in the future. Things could truly get a whole lot worse and probably will.
I hear you. What I meant by homelessness not being "absolute" was that it's a dynamic and fluctuating problem which results from current systems and policies. Ups and downs, like everything else. Just because there's currently an intense and unprecedented number of homeless in major metros of the US doesn't mean it will always be that way, or that it will for sure get worse.

I've been homeless a couple times in my life, so I've been down and up. (not drugs or crime, just circumstances beyond my control)

Our system smells like ass and it's my hope a correction will take place sooner rather than later. Widespread civil unrest or disobedience, war, an actual pandemic, or a massive natural disaster will shake up the system enough to start over again and reset the culture. My fantasy, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2023, 12:31 AM

7,522 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
"Stonks" are not the exotic plaything of a few exalted fortunates at the tippy-top. Their growth is not some untoward or phony increases, that then merit a righteous decrease, but the normal and proper consequence of human productivity, channeled into material betterment.

My personal attitude, is that once money is invested in the stock market, it remains ensconced there forever. It can not be withdrawn, say to buy a house. Others, perhaps in vast numbers, think differently. If they make ample money in the market, they withdraw some of it, to fund purchases such as houses.

This is probably true, though I'd also include the generation prior to the Boomers.

Private home-ownership really arose in mass numbers in the 20th century. Prior to that, most people were too poor to own real estate. The idea of every family owning the house in which it lives is only perhaps 5-6 generations old. We may very well find, that as the 21st century advances, it will come to resemble the 19th.
Might be true for the first half of the boomers; but, not the second half (Generation Jones). I really hate being lumped in with the real boomers (my older siblings -- totally not the same thing at all).

Old 11-24-2023, 08:16 AM

7,783 posts, read 3,803,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
It's not, however he is irrelevant. Money darkens the heart and conscience and we just witnessed the result of that right here.
Why thank you very much. Perhaps you would like to compare our respective charitable gifting, or volunteer activities. It seems you would like me to signal my virtue.

Quote:
For $100,000 I could build a very comfortable and suitable home for myself in a matter of weeks. It's all the congestion, modern rules & regulations, and bureaucratic BS that is crushing this simple process. People from 150 years ago are probably laughing at us in their graves.
It might sadden you to learn that someone with a "darkened heart and conscience" holds the same view. Here's some supporting evidence:

Utah-based developer Dell Loy Hansen has been working with a non-profit to build new housing in Kiev, Ukraine. They recently announced they had completed 82 houses in four and a half months. With bombs falling on them and a difficult labor market because anybody able bodied is in the war.

Eighty-two houses in 22 weeks.

Someone I know spent two years and $15,000 in flood plain engineering just to get the permit to build a garage.

Fifteen-thousand dollars & two years - just to get a permit to build a garage.

Think of that stark contrast: in Kiev, in a war zone with missiles flying, A US developer was able to completely build 82 houses from scratch in 22 weeks.

I suspect the approval process in Kiev didn’t get bogged down in traffic counts, dark sky movements, the location of pickleball courts, NIMBYs, and green tree-huggers who want everyone to live like Little House On The Prairie and for whom all development is considered evil.

Yes, there is a role for governmental regulation in real estate development, but the US' system is broken beyond belief.

https://news.yahoo.com/utah-business...002729886.html

Old 11-24-2023, 08:39 AM

7,783 posts, read 3,803,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My personal attitude, is that once money is invested in the stock market, it remains ensconced there forever. It can not be withdrawn, say to buy a house. Others, perhaps in vast numbers, think differently. If they make ample money in the market, they withdraw some of it, to fund purchases such as houses.
There is a third alternative to generate cash for some people: borrowing against the value of highly appreciated equities, in contrast to selling the stock & incurring the tax.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Think of that stark contrast: in Kiev, in a war zone with missiles flying, A US developer was able to completely build 82 houses from scratch in 22 weeks.
And I bet they didn't cost half a million dollars each, either.

Meanwhile, we have people in the US building their own villages...tents on sidewalks...because all other options became cost-prohibitive.

Old 11-24-2023, 10:01 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
It comes back to supply and demand, with a few other factors added in.

The supply of single family homes for sales in many areas is lower than the current demand for housing, which pushes up prices until the prices reach a point that demand drops off again.

Investors, including many REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts), many of those on a national level, have been snapping up single family homes for several years now -- often beating out other buyers with all cash, no contingency bids. Those investors are now using those purchased homes for rental properties, taking that potential real estate inventory off the table.

To some extent, baby boomers are also contributing to the lack of home inventory as many are preferring to "age in place" vs selling and moving into condos or some sort of senior living arrangement. Also contributing are those home owners who have refinanced in the past few years, who find themselves staying in place rather than taking on higher interest rates to move.

Then there's the "high" interest rates. Although 7-8% interest rates seem high to current home buyers, historically those rates could be called average. Still, homeowners with 3-4% mortgages are in no hurry to move and pay close to 8% rates instead.

As builders face increasing land prices/ labor / materials, new home construction is now often targeted at more affluent buyers, so is not affordable for many potential buyers.

Price increases have slowed substantially in my area of SW Florida, dropping slightly in some cases, but experts are saying it's very doubtful we will see any significant price drops due to the number of buyers still sitting on the sidelines, waiting for more properties to come on the market.

Also, it's predicted that the Federal Reserve may start lowering interest rates, starting in the spring of 2024. Any drop in interest rates will encourage more buyers to enter the market.

So those buyers hoping for a huge shake up in the real estate market may find themselves disappointed with the 2024 real estate market.

Old 11-24-2023, 04:54 PM

1,040 posts, read 567,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
It comes back to supply and demand, with a few other factors added in.

The supply of single family homes for sales in many areas is lower than the current demand for housing, which pushes up prices until the prices reach a point that demand drops off again.

Investors, including many REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts), many of those on a national level, have been snapping up single family homes for several years now -- often beating out other buyers with all cash, no contingency bids. Those investors are now using those purchased homes for rental properties, taking that potential real estate inventory off the table.

To some extent, baby boomers are also contributing to the lack of home inventory as many are preferring to "age in place" vs selling and moving into condos or some sort of senior living arrangement. Also contributing are those home owners who have refinanced in the past few years, who find themselves staying in place rather than taking on higher interest rates to move.

Then there's the "high" interest rates. Although 7-8% interest rates seem high to current home buyers, historically those rates could be called average. Still, homeowners with 3-4% mortgages are in no hurry to move and pay close to 8% rates instead.

As builders face increasing land prices/ labor / materials, new home construction is now often targeted at more affluent buyers, so is not affordable for many potential buyers.

Price increases have slowed substantially in my area of SW Florida, dropping slightly in some cases, but experts are saying it's very doubtful we will see any significant price drops due to the number of buyers still sitting on the sidelines, waiting for more properties to come on the market.

Also, it's predicted that the Federal Reserve may start lowering interest rates, starting in the spring of 2024. Any drop in interest rates will encourage more buyers to enter the market.

So those buyers hoping for a huge shake up in the real estate market may find themselves disappointed with the 2024 real estate market.
Great post. You nailed it perfectly.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:38 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
I hear you. What I meant by homelessness not being "absolute" was that it's a dynamic and fluctuating problem which results from current systems and policies. Ups and downs, like everything else. Just because there's currently an intense and unprecedented number of homeless in major metros of the US doesn't mean it will always be that way, or that it will for sure get worse.

I've been homeless a couple times in my life, so I've been down and up. (not drugs or crime, just circumstances beyond my control)

Our system smells like ass and it's my hope a correction will take place sooner rather than later. Widespread civil unrest or disobedience, war, an actual pandemic, or a massive natural disaster will shake up the system enough to start over again and reset the culture. My fantasy, anyway.

Thank you for clarifying that.

I've been homeless twice in my life and lived for seven years in a SRO, a single room with kitchenette and shared bath and that sucked almost as much as being homeless. I've finally got my feet under me but I doubt I'll ever be financially secure in the way most retirees are today. I'll always be turning off the heat at night because I can't afford to leave it on and I'll always be putting off going to the doctor or the dentist. I look at my my mom when she was my age and she had a nice house, savings, no problem at all with medical bills, no robbing Peter to pay Paul for glasses, etc. And she never worked a day in her life after she got married. And as alarming as what I'm going through, I know the generations following me already have it worse.

I also hope a correction comes sooner rather than later because the longer it takes to arrive, the worse it's going to be.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:02 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
So In conclusion , don't have have kids yet , save up for a good 15 or 20 % down payment and in about 20 yrs you will be ready !
Should be able to do it in 10. Like I did.

Old 11-26-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And as alarming as what I'm going through, I know the generations following me already have it worse..
Overpopulation. More competing for resources - jobs, housing, material goods - and increasing exponentially at a constant rate. Those fortunate enough to have found themselves in a comfortable position aren't going to jeopardize their safety nets. That leaves the rest of us to compete for whatever's left and why our numbers are sorely overdue for a correction.

But that's a discussion for a separate thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate