Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 07:42 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Right, the market never crashed because people stopped buying. The uber relaxed lending standards combined with the packaging of subprime mortgages on Wall Street is what crashed it the last time. The conditions are different now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
It's true that people never stop buying. It's just a matter of inventory vs how many people are buying. When the market crashed last time, buying slowed down but didn't stop. Wise investors and owner occupants that bought low will reap the benefit.
Absolutely correct... for the vast majority of us it is immaterial what happens to the market, crash or boom because we are already in it... the only time it truly matters what the market is doing is when you are entering or leaving it. A crash will hurt those leaving, yet help those entering... a boom hurts those entering and helps those leaving... this does apply at a lesser extent to those down sizing or moving up from a "starter" in a similar fashion, of course.

As with all supply vs demand situations, availability aka inventory matters... those of us locked in at very low mortgage rates are incentivized to stay... that most certainly is helping to keep prices up because I don't want to pay more monthly for the same price house... in the end, a certain percentage will always need to move.

Lots of nuance here to be debated for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 08:33 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Well, it's not about who you and I know. I itemize myself. A lot of people itemize. That law sunsets. So, I wouldn't hang my hat on it.
Of course it is not about who you or I know. That's why I posted the official statistics that show that roughly 9 out of 10 filers do not itemize. So I stand by my statement that the vast majority of homeowners do not benefit from mortgage interest being deductible.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:44 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Of course it is not about who you or I know. That's why I posted the official statistics that show that roughly 9 out of 10 filers do not itemize. So I stand by my statement that the vast majority of homeowners do not benefit from mortgage interest being deductible.
that has been a fact about most not benefiting for a long time now..

tax wise it can be the renters with the better tax deal .

many homeowners actually take money out of piggie to pay for those expenses . many renters have little to deduct. so they may be benefiting from the standard deduction by actually flying those empty seats and getting back money they never spent .

the homeowner may very well have spent those dollars and couldn’t deduct them

Old 02-23-2024, 12:01 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,135,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Prices are high because corporate investors are buying them up.

We're in a housing bubble. Real estate investers don't want to admit it, because they want people to think the prices will keep going up permanently. They don't want people to get wise and stop buying. When people do, the market will crash and houses will be affordable again.
Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:21 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Prices are high because corporate investors are buying them up.

We're in a housing bubble. Real estate investers don't want to admit it, because they want people to think the prices will keep going up permanently. They don't want people to get wise and stop buying. When people do, the market will crash and houses will be affordable again.
nonsense , if housing crashes that bad you can bet it takes jobs and hours with it along with pay cuts for employees.

housing doesn’t crash in a vacuum

Old 02-24-2024, 09:11 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
That's why I like looking at properties outside US because a "crash" happens as you arrive. No not talking about the plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate