Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2024, 11:42 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times

Advertisements

Your data surprises the hell of me, not going to lie. Our 2021 census data vs your 2020 census put us as fairly close, with you guys maybe $15k higher on average. It must be a substantial difference now. Apparently Canada’s GDP per capita has actually shrunk in real terms YoY, while I keep hearing how incomes in the US have gone up significantly over the same time period. Still even more drastic when $1 Canadian is about $0.75 US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 11:44 AM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Your data surprises the hell of me, not going to lie. Our 2021 census data vs your 2020 census put us as fairly close, with you guys maybe $15k higher on average. It must be a substantial difference now. Apparently Canada’s GDP per capita has actually shrunk in real terms YoY, while I keep hearing how incomes in the US have gone up significantly over the same time period. Still even more drastic when $1 Canadian is about $0.75 US
Whereas, the American spends no time concerned about Canada unless they do business there or have a relative there.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:36 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Owning a home is not a right.
Some people might have to rent.
But when the programs "encourage its a right for everyone" is when you have waiters buying 400K houses with no money down and a balloon payment due in 4 years.

Old 01-11-2024, 03:45 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Whereas, the American spends no time concerned about Canada unless they do business there or have a relative there.
What do you have against Canada? This isn’t a US local forum. The housing crisis is global

Old 01-11-2024, 05:44 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
What do you have against Canada?
I suspect that is only about what certain Canadians might say.
Like those who refuse to recognize the distinction already pointed out
vs their own more inflammatory usage (and maybe Jordan Peterson).

Do you really not appreciate the distinction here between "spend no time concerned about" vs "Hating" ??

Old 01-11-2024, 06:01 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
No, it isn't. Your mischaracterization is making the mistake of using implicit averages rather than employing marginal analysis. A restatement of your mischaracterization would be "...average rich people can afford to live in average rich neighborhoods..." Once again, it is about buyers at-the-margin and sellers at-the-margin.
Sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying here.

At the end of the day, if a person can't afford to live in location X, then they have to look to location Y.

Not everybody gets to live in San Francisco or Manhattan or Vancouver, etc. If you can't afford to own a property in those places, then you look elsewhere.

That's the point I'm making, which I think is relevant to this thread.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-11-2024 at 06:13 PM..

Old 01-11-2024, 06:10 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Quote:
What do you have against Canada? This isn’t a US local forum. The housing crisis is global

You have several posts on here making statements about the US. I imbedded the most recent one here. Most posters on this thread are US. US citizens do not concern itself with Canada unless perhaps they have business or relatives there. Why you live in the single most expensive city and Canada and complain you cannot afford real estate? It's like someone complaining they cannot afford to live on Nob Hill in San Francisco. It lands on deaf ears as living in world class and/or the most expensive cities is not some kind of birthright.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:24 PM
pdw

The housing crisis is a global issue. It’s useful to compare how it is in different countries. I don’t even live in Toronto, but way outside the city where I live it’s still crazy expensive. Feels disheartening sometimes having a discussion where someone doesn’t want to listen to anyone discuss how housing is a major challenge facing the younger generation. The “just move” attitude went from further outside of the city to another city to another region of your country close to your region, to multi hour flights away across your country. I want to discuss solutions that can happen at the government level. The government is supposed to help everyone not just those with real estate wealth.
Homeowners are not entitled to maintain or increase the market value of their property if it comes at the expense of an entire generation of people unable to afford to buy or rent a place of their own and start a family. I hope know one actually believes they’re entitled to that because that’s just a psychopathic attitude
Edit: I’m sorry if I’m coming off as heated it’s just a very sensitive topic for people like me who are renting right now and want to feel secure in their housing situation. I would like to see more construction of rental townhomes or 3 bedroom apartment buildings like we saw back in the 60s and 70s. Something like that would give more options besides squatting in your parents’ basement for young families. Maybe at-cost loans could be provided to cooperatives looking to build, is another idea I’ve thought of. These feel like win-wins to me

Last edited by pdw; 01-11-2024 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-11-2024, 06:40 PM

579 posts, read 431,909 times
I am a US citizen, and I do follow some of what's happening elsewhere, including Canada. I have friends there. The repeated comments regarding Canada/Canadians seem negative to me. There's no reason we can't discuss and compare housing markets with other countries here, is there? And I don't think the problem only exists in Toronto and Vancouver. Housing in NS (where I know someone) is very limited and overpriced.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:16 PM

579 posts, read 431,909 times
Quote:
Edit: I’m sorry if I’m coming off as heated it’s just a very sensitive topic for people like me who are renting right now and want to feel secure in their housing situation. I would like to see more construction of rental townhomes or 3 bedroom apartment buildings like we saw back in the 60s and 70s. Something like that would give more options besides squatting in your parents’ basement for young families. Maybe at-cost loans could be provided to cooperatives looking to build, is another idea I’ve thought of. These feel like win-wins to me
There was an article about this in the NY Times a while ago, discussing the lack of starter homes and why - community housing rules/regulations, cost of land and materials, sprawl, and the fact that many families in the existing smaller homes can't afford to upsize (as they used to, presumably).

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/25/u...me-prices.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate