Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 05:40 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times

Advertisements

I think we have to look at what happens when half or more of the US can't afford a home. Most taxes favor home buyers. Well, renters vote, too, and one day they're going to wake up and find out they're the majority, not home owners. Plus, what happens when we run out of people who can afford to spend a million on a house? Are the houses going to just sit there? And please, don't tell me the prices will go down. You know and I know and everyone knows it will take a major housing crash to lower prices. Without a crash, most people would prefer their house sit empty rather than lower the price and get a sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 06:02 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
FWIW, inventory in my area is simply sitting there. People are not buying at the current prices. Whereas even a year ago few properties (excepting very large parcels of land) were on the market more than a short time (say a couple weeks max). So I would say it's the beginning of a correction or crash in my area. Which may or may not hold true for other areas.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:52 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I think we have to look at what happens when half or more of the US can't afford a home. Most taxes favor home buyers. Well, renters vote, too, and one day they're going to wake up and find out they're the majority, not home owners.
Such momentous transformation is unlikely. In the US, the home ownership rate has been hovering in the mid-60-percent range for many decades, including during the 2008 crisis. The rate may marginally decline, but it won't fall below 50%, even in some hypothetical utter financial collapse.

Renters are not only a much smaller group than owners (about half of the size!), but they're also less likely to vote. Apart from rent-heavy cities such as NYC or LA, it is unreasonable to expect a shift towards renter-favoring policies.

Quote:
Plus, what happens when we run out of people who can afford to spend a million on a house? Are the houses going to just sit there?
Parents will pass houses down to children. With smaller families, and less emphasis on the traditional nuclear family in coming generations, it is sustainable for multiple adult siblings to share the same house indefinitely. The result will be more of an inter-generational caste system, of homeowners and renters.

This isn't by itself starkly different from the past. But I think that in the past, it was more common to sell the family-home, splitting the proceeds among the siblings... would then use the money to invest elsewhere, or pay down debt, or buy other houses. Going forward, these siblings might be more careful to keep the house within the family, as a long-term appreciating asset.

Quote:
Without a crash, most people would prefer their house sit empty rather than lower the price and get a sale.
If prices continue to rise long-term, then it makes sense for prospective sellers to sit on empty houses, covering the carrying-cost, rather than selling, at what they might regard as a discount.

Old 11-15-2023, 09:54 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,516,926 times
As an outsider looking on, American real estate seems a bargain. Our current median dwelling to median income ratio in Sydney is 13:1, in the main cities overall in Australia it is 10:1.

Much gnashing of teeth here, but basically in Sydney 70% of first home buyers now get parental help. Sometimes grandparental help. It may be more possible here because long term aged care is highly subsidised. But the market is one of supply and demand. One way or another, people are still coming up with the money.

This is an example, https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...+bay-143392348, went for $US2,260,000. The area is a middle-class area twenty miles from the city centre. If it was in the Eastern suburbs it would have been worth triple.

Probably everywhere a result of the huge population increase in the world in the past fifty years.

Old 11-15-2023, 10:14 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokarK View Post
This is what I can't wrap my mind around. People talk about this whole thing as if this has been happening for decades. This happened overnight relatively speaking, during covid. Prices were reasonable through the end of 2020.

I always hear a lot about underbuilding, were houses not underbuilt prior to covid? Why is that $700k house now $1.2 million, in two years? That's insanity. Without very low rates or very low inventory, how can that price possibly be sustainable long term?
It can't.

Eventually, the sellers will have to reduce their prices, because the buyers that could afford those homes, already bought. So, demand has softened, due to affordability. We're seeing this where I am. (You can see where I am, above.)

OAN~ buyers are beginning to "accept" the 7-8% loan rates now. There was resistance at first, because they "remember 2 years ago." Well, it isn't "2 years ago" anymore. There's a new sheriff in town...(and it isn't Sheriff Bart!)

Old 11-15-2023, 11:07 PM

7,521 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
As an outsider looking on, American real estate seems a bargain. Our current median dwelling to median income ratio in Sydney is 13:1, in the main cities overall in Australia it is 10:1.

Much gnashing of teeth here, but basically in Sydney 70% of first home buyers now get parental help. Sometimes grandparental help. It may be more possible here because long term aged care is highly subsidised. But the market is one of supply and demand. One way or another, people are still coming up with the money.

This is an example, https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...+bay-143392348, went for $US2,260,000. The area is a middle-class area twenty miles from the city centre. If it was in the Eastern suburbs it would have been worth triple.

Probably everywhere a result of the huge population increase in the world in the past fifty years.

Salaries are way high over there too though. My nephew just moved back from Perth. We never seem to talk about anything practical (you know, family).

Old 11-16-2023, 01:24 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,516,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Salaries are way high over there too though. My nephew just moved back from Perth. We never seem to talk about anything practical (you know, family).
Perth has the second cheapest housing market in the country, only in front of similarly isolated Darwin. Yet has the highest median income because of the mining industry.

One would think more people would move over there from the east, but the isolation is a turn off for many.

Has the nephew caught the national obsession with the price of real estate?

Old 11-16-2023, 01:29 AM

7,521 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Perth has the second cheapest housing market in the country, only in front of similarly isolated Darwin. Yet has the highest median income because of the mining industry.

One would think more people would move over there from the east, but the isolation is a turn off for many.

Has the nephew caught the national obsession with the price of real estate?
He was in Darwin first for 3-4 years and then Perth 3-4 years. He bought in Perth. He just sold a couple months ago and moved back to the US. He was there for work and had moved from Japan. He'd been in the middle east with the advent of the great recession (so, he'd been working overseas for a few years). I believe he was highly paid. He got citizenship while he was there...

Old 11-16-2023, 06:10 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
That is about as relevant as the average waistline-to-IQ ratio.

(Median sale price)/(median household income) is a meaningless ratio.

You can purchase a house with ZERO income when you're just executing an asset class transfer. It isn't always about income; sometimes it is about wealth.
It's not relevant for some share of buyers.

For the typical buyer dependent on wages earned in the local economy, and who doesn't have a lot of preexisting wealth, it is absolutely relevant.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:03 AM

844 posts, read 419,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
That isn't clear - there will be two factors:

1) demand will increase, as sidelined buyers will re-enter the market
2) supply will increase, as sellers will re-enter the market because of a reduced mortgage interest rate on a replacement home.

What happens to prices when both demand increases and supply increases?

It depends.

It depends on the slopes of the supply and demand curves, aka price elasticity of demand and price elasticity of supply.
I take it you're not a 20 yr old spring chicken. You should be able to recall from the past what happened when the mortgage rate falls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate