Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 07:51 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times

Advertisements

In this case a massive power line and tower would go right through my neighborhood, on my next door neighbor's property, down our court, and across the street from my house. It would drastically lower the value of all of our homes. Would we all be compensated or do we all just have to accept a 40% decrease in our homes' values?

And how long does the process take for the power company's project to be approved and built? I want to know how long I have to sell my house and get outta Dodge!

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 08:47 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Usually not.
They most likely have an easement which was/is noted on your property plat survey.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:35 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
If you're in the US, you can see a great deal with Google Maps; it usually shows the platting of an area (at least in urban areas) and it's 100 to 1 you'll see that power line right of way running right through there. If no, then go to the website of your county's appraisal office.

This is why you always, always, always READ the surveys, plats, restrictive covenants, and deeds.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
No public agency or utility is going to reimburse property owners for their infrastructure work that affects property values. When buying a house some considerations for us were all power lines underground, close to a mile from any major arterial so no traffic noise and no chance of widening a road taking some/all of our property, no plan for light rail expansion in the area, and no commercial development within a mile. Still, things happen, and you can never guarantee that some agency will do something. In Sequim, WA, for example, the local residents were all upset when an addiction treatment facility for opioid addicts went in near them.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:56 AM

1,238 posts, read 820,537 times
Previous replies seem to be missing that this is a proposed new transmission line, not existing. The landowners whose properties will be directly crossed by the new line will likely receive payment for an easement. Usually a one-time payment. Payments to other landowners in the neighborhood for proximity or viewshed impacts are unlikely, unless they need to acquire an access easement to cross your property with construction equipment.

Depending on the size of the project, permitting can take a long time. It isn't clear from your post how far along this specific project is.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:58 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I agree that property owners will not receive any compensation. I live in a community with underground utilities and it is less apt to issues that can occur for pole-mounted utilities. It is a very good thing to have and the utilities don't charge owners extra monthly for that benefit/convenience. The neighborhood looks much nicer without utility lines hanging off utility poles.

The example given above about the addiction facility reminds me of the NIMBY (Not In My Backyard) attitude that many have.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:30 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Previous replies seem to be missing that this is a proposed new transmission line, not existing. The landowners whose properties will be directly crossed by the new line will likely receive payment for an easement. Usually a one-time payment. Payments to other landowners in the neighborhood for proximity or viewshed impacts are unlikely, unless they need to acquire an access easement to cross your property with construction equipment.

Depending on the size of the project, permitting can take a long time. It isn't clear from your post how far along this specific project is.

There's almost certainly an existing easement, albeit unused. My place in Texas had several spelled out for 'future use'.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:52 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
... The landowners whose properties will be directly crossed by the new line will likely receive payment for an easement. Usually a one-time payment. ....
How do you know this?

Yes, it may be a new line, but you have no way of knowing whether there are existing easements, existing rights-of-way, or what have you.

Near my house, for example, the old interurban railway right-of-way is now owned by the electric company. If they were to decide to put enormous cross-country transmission lines there, the nearby homeowners can go pound sand. Similarly, down at the end of my street is a commuter rail track, but if the local agency decided to lease it for heavy freight traffic, 30 trains a day, the local homeowners could get as angry as they wished, it wouldn't mean anything.

Old 11-16-2023, 09:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
There's almost certainly an existing easement, albeit unused. My place in Texas had several spelled out for 'future use'.
Most people never actually look at their deed, but almost every home that's not off-grid will have a 10-12' easement across the front of their property. In the case of a corner lot, it's the front and one side. There may or may not be anything there but if the city or a utility wants to put in something like new sewers, fiberoptic or buried electricity, they can, so you can't build there.

Old 11-16-2023, 09:13 AM

844 posts, read 418,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Most people never actually look at their deed, but almost every home that's not off-grid will have a 10-12' easement across the front of their property. In the case of a corner lot, it's the front and one side. There may or may not be anything there but if the city or a utility wants to put in something like new sewers, fiberoptic or buried electricity, they can, so you can't build there.
True. My previous home was a new build, it has a drainage trench (big one, 5 foot diameter) in the backyard and the easement spelled out that the utility company has the right to access the 25 ft easement on the side of my yard to get to the trench. This caused me to think if I want to build a fence for privacy because they will bulldoz it down if they need to dig the trench up. One day, I saw 3 guys in my backyard so I went out to meet them, it turns out they're from the utility company. I asked how often do they need to dig up the trench, the two older guys smiled and didn't say anything but the younger guy said "never". So I went and put up a fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate