Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 08:22 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We have a refrigerator-depth divider panel between the fridge and the adjacent countertop.

When we had the cabinet installed over the fridge, we had it pulled out to the front of the refrigerator.
It is much easier to access when it is at the front. That placement also allows air flow behind the unit for better cooling.
And, of course, it is at a height that allows the most common appliances to fit easily under it.

A few examples:

https://www.stkittsvilla.com/how-to-...-refrigerator/
That's what toll Brothers did with ours in 2012-13. I like the way it looks. And I can FINALLY use the thing, albeit for stuff that i need only a couple of times a year. I still need the step ladder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2023, 11:04 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
I am a giant and like the extra cabinet on top of the fridge. It would look weird (despite the wasted space) if there was nothing. However, if you are lucky to have a huge kitchen, I would possibly get a massive fridge instead.

Old 11-22-2023, 01:54 PM

149 posts, read 259,628 times
When referring regular size refrigerators, I have unintentionally ruffled some feathers. I was simply remembering my personal experience searching for French Door refrigerators. It's the type I I've noticed in my friends and families kitchens these days and they aren't gigantic, just organized differently than a freezer on top model of my grandparents era. Shopping online at AJ Madison for example, the most abundant number of models can be found in the 70 to 84 in high and 36 in wide range for French door, yet I find remodeled kitchens in for sale properties with space just 31in wide and 67 in high, reducing the number of options dramatically.

I find that over the fridge cabinet also gets warmer than I like to keep things. Glad to hear people actually love that space and find refrigerators that fit for them.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:38 AM

369 posts, read 105,240 times
When remodeling my kitchen, I didn't like how far back the old over-fridge cabinet was. We did store rarely used stuff in there, but it was a pain to reach. So when putting in the new cabinets, I pulled that cabinet outward to match the tall pantry cabinet. Now that cabinet is easily usable even without a stepstool. And by moving the fridge down the wall a bit, I was able to add the entire set of cabinets and counter for a coffee nook.
Attached Thumbnails
Above refrigerator obstruction cabinet-kitchen2023_17.jpg   Above refrigerator obstruction cabinet-kitchen2023_18.jpg  

Old 02-28-2024, 08:56 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
We bought a counter depth fridge.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:59 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I feel it's a dumb feature to cling to if needing more refrigerator space, as in a counter-depth KitchenAid side by side measuring 71" in height that was/is my dream fridge.
Well, for crying out loud, if the cabinets interfere with a taller fridge you want, then modify them!

For most people, more storage space is something we can always use; and there are lots of things that aren't used constantly. Especially in newer houses with 9 foot and higher ceilings, even with a 6 foot fridge you've got almost 3 feet of space over it. Why leave that open rather than using it for deep storage? You know, the pressure cooker, the cake plate, the second crock-pot, the Christmas dishes, that stuff.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:56 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
When I remodeled the kitchen - I had them put a shelf above the refrigerator, almost the same depth as the fridge. Much better for my use.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:42 AM

879 posts, read 764,193 times
We have one, and it’s full. Thankfully, I’m tall and can easily access the stuff in it without a step stool.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:53 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
I work in a cabinet shop and we do many very tall cabinets--not necessarily over the fridge, but some are located there. It seems to be a "thing" nowadays. We shake our heads and wonder how anyone is going to get up there to use the space, but conclude, as said here, that you put stuff up there when you move in and take it out when you move out!

Really, how are you going to access a nine-foot cabinet that stretches to ten feet at the ceiling? We buy 120" hardwood veneer plywood to build the boxes and it is mighty expensive as well.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:53 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I work in a cabinet shop and we do many very tall cabinets--not necessarily over the fridge, but some are located there. It seems to be a "thing" nowadays. We shake our heads and wonder how anyone is going to get up there to use the space, but conclude, as said here, that you put stuff up there when you move in and take it out when you move out!

Really, how are you going to access a nine-foot cabinet that stretches to ten feet at the ceiling? We buy 120" hardwood veneer plywood to build the boxes and it is mighty expensive as well.
Well, I'm 5'10" tall and I can easily reach to 7 feet. Put me on a two-foot-tall step-stool and I'm up to 9 feet. I keep one of these folded up beside my fridge at all times.

It's really not that confusing. You put rarely used stuff up there, as I noted: the Christmas dishes, Grandma's cake plate, the extra Crock-Pot you only use three times a year, the huge coffee urn you use four times a year for the church supper at your house, that kind of thing? you don't have any of that kind of stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate