Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 08:53 AM

149 posts, read 259,604 times

Advertisements

When remodeling kitchen cabinets to sell a house nowadays, why the above refrigerator cabinets?
Is this awkward access cabinet some kind of sought-after feature?
Is it a clever way to justify the sub-size refrigerator?

Either way, it means removing the cabinet, refinishing the panel and painting some wall, to fit in a regular refrigerator. A remodel on a remodel..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 09:01 AM

5,959 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Cabinets that are over the refrigerator are useful for storing things that you don't need access to on a frequent basis. Otherwise, that is just wasted space.

If someone put those cabinets in at a height that is too low for modern refrigerators, then that was just a dumb move. Your choices are to either buy a short refrigerator or raise the cabinets over the refrigerator.

Old 11-19-2023, 09:30 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimegusta View Post
Either way, it means removing the cabinet, refinishing the panel and painting some wall, to fit in a regular refrigerator. A remodel on a remodel..

What's a regular sized refrigerator?

We have a cabinet over the fridge that we use for large trays, pans and serving pieces that we use only a few times a year. Yet, we have a 21 cu ft side by side underneath it.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:49 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Refrigerators have gotten bigger. I just bought a fridge for a house that is relatively new-ish. It was built in 2005 and has quite a nice kitchen. I wanted a French door fridge and of all the French door fridges available only one of them would fit under the overhead cabinet. In the same house, a standard washer and dryer must be used because a set of the big front loading machines will not fit in the space.

But yes, the cabinet over the fridge is used to store things that aren't used often. Modern kitchens are short on storage. Open floor plan removes a lot of kitchen cabinets, so you use whatever space you can get.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:07 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
I leave mine empty. It's a PITA to have to use a step stool to get to it.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:12 AM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I e never loved in a place which had cabinets over the fridge. They sound like a bit of a pain, but then again we often put cereal boxes on top of the fridge, so maybe those cabinets are less illogical than they sound.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:22 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I leave mine empty. It's a PITA to have to use a step stool to get to it.
Yeah, it’s a pain, but it’s a good place to store my ice cream freezer I use once a year, and light bulbs. There’s some other stuff up there I can’t name off the top of my head because I rarely use them. My cabinet is almost as deep as my refrigerator (almost twice as deep as my regular cabinets) and it holds a LOT.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:36 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimegusta View Post
When remodeling kitchen cabinets to sell a house nowadays, why the above refrigerator cabinets?
Is this awkward access cabinet some kind of sought-after feature?
Is it a clever way to justify the sub-size refrigerator?

I think builders mostly put those cabinets in because it makes it a nice straight line of cabinets, particularly if there are cabinets on both sides of the fridge. If it's not there, there's a hole. It doesn't look as finished.

Old 11-19-2023, 02:17 PM

5,959 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think builders mostly put those cabinets in because it makes it a nice straight line of cabinets, particularly if there are cabinets on both sides of the fridge. If it's not there, there's a hole. It doesn't look as finished.
Bingo!

When we remodeled our kitchen and removed the "el cheapo" builder grade cabinets, we put in nice cabinets which included a cabinet over the refrigerator. It certainly makes it look more "finished".

Old 11-19-2023, 02:24 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I feel it's a dumb feature to cling to if needing more refrigerator space, as in a counter-depth KitchenAid side by side measuring 71" in height that was/is my dream fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate