Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 01:46 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times

Advertisements

When I was 9 years old Dad purchased a plantation style home with 50 acres. The house was built in the early 1900's and basically square shaped with a porch on the two most visible sides. It also had a kitchen porch that went about 1/2 of the back side. But the porch I enjoyed the most was the upstairs porch where you could see so far across the creek and up the hill on the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 01:48 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
LOL the difference location makes. Things we were looking for (without them it would be deal breakers)

Lava Zone 3 or higher
Not in tsunami inundation or storm surge zones
At least 2 bathrooms INSIDE the house
Minimum 3 acres
No flood zones
Single story

Things that weren't deal breakers but had to do immediately after moving in:

NO CARPET
Solar hot water
dishwasher
Fencing
Internet availability

Things we don't have but wish had been in the "deal breaker" category:

USPS delivery

Old 01-14-2024, 01:55 PM

13,061 posts, read 7,497,585 times
sockets by toilets for washlet bidets.
windows that accommodate portable ac/heatpumps and separate breaker circuit.
I like being outside of a flood, lahar and Tsunami zone. Earthquakes I can handle.

Old 01-14-2024, 02:31 PM

4,510 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I'd want an attached garage. Ours is repurposed barn converted into a 1&1/2 car garage, there's enough room for our car & wood pellet storage, with an attached shop. It's a short walk from the main house. Fortunately, our snowplow guy shovels the path for us.
I prefer detached garages. If your detached garage with all the gasoline, mower, solvents, etc., catches fire, you might lose 2 cars and the garage. If the same thing happens with an attached garage, you could lose your whole house. I'd rather replace a couple cars than my whole residence.

Old 01-14-2024, 02:33 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Taking this question literally as to what I would add to the design of a new build, there might be several items if the builder could accommodate them.

A three car garage is fabulous for 2 cars plus storage.
A roof with an overhang of about 18 inches
Interior storage closets for vacuums and mops, for lots of coats, etc.
Built in wooden shelving and clothes poles in all clothes closets.
Pull out trash containers in the kitchen.
Big walk in shower.
Stone or brick facing on the outside walls if possible.
No cheap@zz “luxury†anything.

Old 01-14-2024, 02:35 PM

5,145 posts, read 3,078,346 times
Overhangs on all exterior doors and windows,
upgraded roof shingles,
sidewalks and entry doors wider than the minimums.

Old 01-14-2024, 03:04 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
My current house was purchased new, as well as the immediate previous house. Two "additions" I was able to have incorporated during the construction phase have been well worth having.

1.) ceiling fans in each bedroom - and living/front room if not already installed
2.) insulated garage, (and an additional ceiling fan in a third bay, if you garage is a 3-car garage, (workshop))

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-14-2024, 03:39 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
a. Oversized 3 car garage that really can hold full size vehicles.
b. Either a basement or a storage area for places without basements.
c. 3/4 T&G hardwood (no prefinished product) in main living area. Tile in the bath. Tile or LVT in kitchen. NO HARDWOOD IN THE KITCHEN OR BATH. Our current home has hardwood in the kitchen and it's a constant cleaning pain. Same with prefinished. The joints don't stay tight and become dirt catchers.
d. two more feet in every room. Seems like every home we lived in, two more feet would have made things more livable.
e. Sealed combustion exterior vent gas fireplace. Had on in our previous home and loved it. Current home they put in one of those "safe" no vent fireplaces that we only use in emergencies.
f. Office/library with built ins. In today's world an office is no longer a luxury but a necessity.
g. Either a basement or an extra room for rec room.

Old 01-14-2024, 06:53 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
60 amp 240 v outlet for EV's, one inside one outside.
Preferably three-phase.

Old 01-14-2024, 07:15 PM

14,961 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Preferably three-phase.
Residential 3 phase? Not to mention you have to have 3 phase service in your location.

In all my years I could count on one hand... and those were all mansions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate