Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2024, 06:03 AM

1,420 posts, read 755,147 times

Advertisements

While we sit in our camper a few hundred miles south waiting for it to warm up enough to resume house hunting in the mountains in VA, I troll Zillow clicking the Heart to save listings that probably won't be available when we get back there but dreaming anyway.

So, I see a listing. It's a nice looking stick built 2/2 with 6 acres in the area we want. The house is on top the hill and at the base is a cabin being used as a short term rental that looks really nice. I find the cabin on AirBnB and it has tons of good reviews. It rents for about $100/night.

We have intended to be cash buyers, but this house and cabin are about $50k above our price range. In addition, I would want to spend some more money initially making a spot to house our camper and make a site for a guest camper. A small mortgage would be needed.

The house has been on the market 99 days, so it appears to be a bit overpriced or there's something wrong with it that isn't obvious from the ad. At least we have some hope it'll be on the market when we get back up there.

I have to admit, I'm interested in the idea of having the cabin. Is it unrealistic to expect that cabin could pay for a small mortgage on the whole property? Am I asking for trouble? These are the things I think about as I listen to the heater blower sounding like a jet taking off in this camper.

FWIW, this is the listing.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...07873061_zpid/

AirBnB listing.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6825512...2-1788d3d8120f

Happy Presidents Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 06:44 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
I would double check everything about this listing. Are both homes permitted? Got to admit the misuse of “incoming” in the description text is a potential warning about accuracy.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:03 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Being an "AirBNB" operator requires a different lifestyle, compared to the "typical" lifestyle. OP, are you ready for this?

It's a cross between being a baby sitter and den mother.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Being an "AirBNB" operator requires a different lifestyle, compared to the "typical" lifestyle. OP, are you ready for this?

It's a cross between being a baby sitter and den mother.
Good question. We do like to travel and don't want to be tied down all the time but if the goal is to pay the mortgage, it doesn't need to be rented all the time.

My wife is a very social person. We are thinking she would probably enjoy the flow of different people. We've stayed in a lot of AirBnB and VRBO over the years and sometimes met the owners who seemed to enjoy the gig.

I also wonder if that cabin could be made into a longer term leased home. When we were camped in that area there were a lot of workers in campers for months on end who would probably prefer something like this.

It's all just pie in the sky for now. There aren't a lot of houses that tick all our boxes in the area.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:24 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I personally would much rather have a tenant than an air bnb. It can be a good income, but I wouldn't want to have to do the constant cleaning and prepping to have it ready for guests. It's a lifestyle and a job you have to want to do!

Old 02-19-2024, 07:55 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I personally would much rather have a tenant than an air bnb. It can be a good income, but I wouldn't want to have to do the constant cleaning and prepping to have it ready for guests. It's a lifestyle and a job you have to want to do!
I'm the opposite! Granted, I'd hate to do all the cleaning, etc., associated with having an Airbnb, but I'd use a professional cleaning crew to prep/clean where it made sense. My family visiting from the UK stayed in a 5 bedroom town house in Jersey City a few years ago. When we dropped them off to the house, we were a bit early and the cleaning crew was still there. I think over half of all Airbnb rentals include a cleaning fee from what I gather. Of course, depending on where this Airbnb location is, professional cleaners might be more money than they are worth, so something to keep in mind!

Old 02-19-2024, 08:47 PM

685 posts, read 720,327 times
heySkippy--- Looks like a nice property you found. Maybe its just been on the market for a while because people can not get financing. I looked at the VRBO reviews..,.most had 5 stars....the ones thst had less seemed to complain about stuff the homeowner had no control over. Like one complained the road was closed due to snow, but the owner addressed it by saying usually the road gets cleared. Another mentioned stores were 45 min away, but she replied that there were 2 stores close by that carries the normal needs.
So, maybe this place is kind of remote and too small townish for a lot of people. Some people want their shopping centers close to them. I am just guessing.....
Anyway, good luck with it!

Last edited by beckerd2; 02-19-2024 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: abc

Old 02-20-2024, 05:30 AM

It's rural, all right, half hour to Walmart, 20 minutes at least to a real grocery store. We spent much of the 2nd half of last year camped not far from there. I expect that's why the cabin rents so cheaply. We like that area, though, and even though it's rural, it's far from empty. I'm from Kansas. Rural in Kansas meant miles between houses. Rural in this part of Virginia isn't like that. There are people, there are businesses, etc.

I'm aiming to get us back within range of a day trip by the end of February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate