Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 11:59 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

If you are wanting to live surrounded by tenants, just rent an apartment instead of buying your apartment. If you are renting and the neighborhood goes south, you move. If you have bought and the neighborhood goes south, you are either stuck or going to take an enormous loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 12:01 PM

2,040 posts, read 994,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you are wanting to live surrounded by tenants, just rent an apartment instead of buying your apartment. If you are renting and the neighborhood goes south, you move. If you have bought and the neighborhood goes south, you are either stuck or going to take an enormous loss.
Great advice.

Old 02-22-2024, 04:30 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I should add that the seller "has already paid" the assessment. Does that help?
Paid some current assessment you mean. Future ones could pop up at any time. If they're already playing catch up because of neglect, chances are there will be more. You'd need a crystal ball to prove otherwise. Does it help? Not really. I don't have a crystal ball.

Old 02-22-2024, 04:38 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
Pass on it. Sounds like a money pit and a potential nightmare. Keep looking.

From one single lady to another.

Old 02-22-2024, 05:25 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Quote:
...a condo in a small town that is currently 70% rental, including Section 8, with no cap on renting (could be 100%). Very few owners. Employs a property manager who supposedly oversees repairs, but doesn't handle leasing for owners -- unless they use her company and pay 10% of rent! Recent assessment of $13k (per owner) for delayed maintenance issues (leaky flat roof, missing shingles, actual holes, all decks must be replaced due to dry rot) and HOA of nearly $400 -- at least $200 over average -- for 700 sf mostly due to "all hot water coming from an inefficient common hot water heater/boiler"...or something? Owner VERY motivated to sell; could low-ball. Also has some pluses.

As I type it, it sounds awful, but I love it! Love is blind...
No, I wouldn't buy this because the HOA is poorly managed, and there are too many rentals. Bad things happen to good people and being able to quickly sell an asset is important unless you are so rich you don't care if you lose money.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:42 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,196,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Great advice.
2nd that.
The complex sounds poorly and cheaply built - a money pit.
There will be other assessments - with the for profit company overseeing - they sound incompetent to me.

What do you love about the place?

Old 02-23-2024, 06:04 AM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Unless particularly well run and funded I would only consider a condo in a 55+ community with lots and lots of rules (usually it has to be 95% owner occupied, etc. they are kept up and not allowed to deteriorate, etc.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:13 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
I should add that the seller "has already paid" the assessment. Does that help?
No. It’s clear the HOA isn’t setting aside adequate reserves. Assessments are likely to continue. Hard pass.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:29 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
...a condo in a small town that is currently 70% rental, including Section 8, with no cap on renting (could be 100%). Very few owners. Employs a property manager who supposedly oversees repairs, but doesn't handle leasing for owners -- unless they use her company and pay 10% of rent! Recent assessment of $13k (per owner) for delayed maintenance issues (leaky flat roof, missing shingles, actual holes, all decks must be replaced due to dry rot) and HOA of nearly $400 -- at least $200 over average -- for 700 sf mostly due to "all hot water coming from an inefficient common hot water heater/boiler"...or something? Owner VERY motivated to sell; could low-ball. Also has some pluses.

As I type it, it sounds awful, but I love it! Love is blind...
The delayed maintenance issues would be a huge concern for me as it's an indicator of a poorly managed COA.

Other questions I have are: What is the plan to replace the water heater/boiler (and cost to do so)? When the water heater is replaced, will the monthly COA fee be reduced? What other issues are there with the building?

The second concern I'd have is being a permanent resident amongst so many temporary residents. Vacationers just won't care as much about building rules as permanent residents do. "No smoking on the balcony" - you can definitely expect people to ignore that rule.

I'd also look at the rental advertisements: how many people are they saying the condos will accommodate? Are they renting for cheap or are they expensive rentals? Where in the building is the condo located? Is it near an elevator or stairwell? How much "traffic" can you expect passing by your door?

Is this a "party" beach that attracts a lot of singles, young people? Or is this more laid back beach that attracts families and more mature folks?

Personally, I might consider it for an investment property, even then that's risky with the condition of the building resulting in large assessments, but would pass on it as my home.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:43 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
It's not short-term rental; it's long-term, including Section 8. I currently pay about $10/month for my water (it's often included in an HOA because it's so cheap), so I can't imagine why it would boost the maintenance fee $100+ above average.

Also, is it normal for a complex to employ a property manager who doesn't even handle leasing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate