Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 09:29 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
In 30 years, never, ever had a problem with my clients pets and they ran the gamut from pot-belly pigs, to ferrets and snakes with many dogs and many cats thrown in. Most difficult time was during the winter and a seller's little white dog raced out the door. My buyer client, his wife and I were scouring every white hill and every white valley looking for this little guy. Very glad we finally found him. Dried him off with a towel in my car, locked the door and went on our way. Who in their right mind thinks of "shooting" someone's dog and an Aussie at that. This jerk needs to find another job....he clearly isn't meant to have access to anyone's home.
Capnocytophaga infections from dog bites kill 3 out of 10 that get it. Wanna roll the dice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 09:29 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Yes, I got bit on the back of the leg on a listing appointment. I didn't like or trust the dog. It kept running up behind me and the owner did nothing about it other than to keep saying it was friendly and had never bitten anyone. Sure enough when we started touring the home the dog bit me on the back of the leg. It was like Jack Russell or something small like that. It barely broke the skin but it did hurt, and I let it go mostly because I was younger and didn't want to create problems. She didn't list the home w/ me either. If it happened today I would have been more firm with the owner to put the dog away before it got to that point. I'd also handle a bite differently.

And honestly, now if a dog is actively attempting to attack me like that, I wouldn't hesitate to kick the heck out of it if I had to. To people like Teacher Terry above - you need to be accountable for your dog. If it's attacking someone and you try to sue someone for injuring your dog while trying to protect themselves from an active attack, you're a POS.
Wow I love my dogs so much that only once did I sell a house with them in a crate while I was at work and they were Maltese all under 10lbs. The other times I have bought another house and moved before selling the other house. I have actually been attacked twice by 2 off leash dogs. One was a German shepherd and one a pit bull. I only survived because my husband saved me the first time and a 84 lb husky/shepherd rescue saved me the other time.

However, if someone shot my dog that wasn’t aggressive I would make it my life mission to destroy them professionally and personally. I also insisted that the owner of the shepherd put it to sleep because it jumped a 6ft fence and was trying to bite my husband’s throat. The second owner took off and I lost track of him. A rational person uses their heads before pursuing a course of action.

Old 02-26-2024, 11:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 803,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Capnocytophaga infections from dog bites kill 3 out of 10 that get it. Wanna roll the dice?
Looked that up for ya, 0.5-0.7 cases per one million individuals per year, most at risk are immunocompromised, especially those with asplenia, those diagnosed with cirrhosis, or hx of heavy alcohol use, source nih.gov

Old 02-27-2024, 02:39 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
As a visiting nurse, i call and tell patients all of the time to put the dog away.

Some do not listen. And they all say "But he is friendly".

I do not care,put the damn dog away or i am not coming.

I dont want to be seriously injured because you decided to be lazy.

Old 02-27-2024, 05:34 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
However, if someone shot my dog that wasn’t aggressive
That’s not the case in this situation. Have you not been following along?

Quote:
I would make it my life mission to destroy them professionally and personally.
You would try to “destroy” someone that shot your dog, when the dog repeatedly attacks them, and you’re not controlling the dog? Wow! A previous poster’s description of you is spot on.

Old 02-27-2024, 05:44 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
The following article came from here,
https://www.kold.com/2024/02/25/dog-...t-family-says/

SHENANDOAH, Iowa (WOWT/Gray News) - A dog suffered “serious wounds” after being shot by a real estate agent who was visiting the family and their home on Thursday, according to the family.

According to authorities in Shenandoah, Iowa, a real estate agent was invited by homeowners who were giving him a tour of their home. As a precaution, the family put their dog, an Australian shepherd-beagle mix, in the basement.
While touring the home, the real estate agent asked to see the basement, so the daughter took the dog outside.
The real estate agent was walking up the driveway to the backyard to access the basement from the outside when the dog started barking, got loose from its leash and ran towards to real estate agent, according to authorities.

Neighbors say the real estate agent kicked the dog, which kept coming at him, and then shot the dog.
Authorities say the real estate agent left the scene without further incident and immediately called authorities.
The real estate agent, who did have a conceal-carry permit, felt threatened and the county attorney deemed the matter as self-defense, according to authorities.
The family says the dog did nothing to provoke being shot and the mother is afraid of guns and would have never allowed the real estate agent into her home if she knew that he was armed.
The dog survived and was treated by a veterinarian

Have any of you had run ins with dogs while looking at homes?

I am not a real estate agent.

The dog did nothing that was vicious or untoward. Nothing out of the normal realm of canine behavior.

If the real estate agent kicked my dog, I would ask them to leave immediately.

I do not care if the real estate agent was legally carrying a gun or not. Nothing happened that necessitated shooting the dog. I agree completely with the homeowner.

If the dog barked and ran towards the real estate broker - so what? Big deal. Dogs do great, and they protect their territory. That is normal canine behavior.
If the broker is that terrified of a dog who was behaving like a dog, they have no business entering the homes of the many people who choose to share their homes with companion animals. NONE.

Why does this agent need to enter a private home of another while carrying a lethal weapon? Working in real estate does require entering homes. If they are so nervous, and terrified of encounters with pets that they need to carry weapons into the homes of clients, perhaps they are not suited for this line of work.

Kicking the dog would have been enough for me to ask this individual to leave my home.

I am so glad that the dog survived the attack, and I hape that the home owners take legal action.

Old 02-27-2024, 06:40 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No, that's what a doctor is for. Most people, upon being bitten by an animal (cat, dog, whatever) have the sense to go to the doctor if it's broken the skin. Antibiotics take care of that.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:16 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No, that's what a doctor is for. Most people, upon being bitten by an animal (cat, dog, whatever) have the sense to go to the doctor if it's broken the skin. Antibiotics take care of that.
Seriously. The hysteria.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:18 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I'm missing where it says this person was "attacked" by the dog. A dog running towards you is not an attack. Is this the first house he's ever been to?

Old 02-27-2024, 07:25 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm missing where it says this person was "attacked" by the dog. A dog running towards you is not an attack. Is this the first house he's ever been to?
I can't figure out if this is either a particularly mean dog or if the agent is particularly dog averse. Some people really don't care for dogs, and I get that. I'd say that those people ought not become RE agents. If you're uncomfortable dealing with domestic pets to some degree, find another job. The way the story reads (to me) is that the guy was seriously overreacting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate