Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 03:20 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Something to consider when pondering on moving to another state:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cp/...ouse-by-state/

Clarification:
It's about median down payment on a single-family home.
This means actual house square footage will vary within and across the states, affecting the median prices and down payments in this data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 07:24 PM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times
I'm not sure I understand what this picture is portraying.

Are we expected to conclude that because Florida has the highest median downpayment for the purchase of a house, the median price of a house in Florida is higher than those states which have a lower median downpayment?

Does this incorporate home purchases where the buyer paid cash so that the "downpayment" is the purchase price or only those purchases where the buyer obtained a mortgage?

Is this based on actual home purchase closings or based on home listings?

Does this incorporate all home purchases including FHA, VA, non-conforming?

Old 02-28-2024, 03:10 AM

Houses in America Now Cost Six Times the Median Income

As of 2023, an American household hoping to buy a median-priced home, needs to make at least $100,000 a year. In some cities, they need to make nearly 3–4x that amount.

Following database was used:
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/med...-vs-income-us/

Old 02-28-2024, 10:18 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Something to consider when pondering on moving to another state:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cp/...ouse-by-state/

Clarification:
It's about median down payment on a single-family home.
This means actual house square footage will vary within and across the states, affecting the median prices and down payments in this data.
Who knows what this analyst was smoking:>)

Old 02-28-2024, 05:42 PM

179 posts, read 297,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I'm not sure I understand what this picture is portraying.

Are we expected to conclude that because Florida has the highest median downpayment for the purchase of a house, the median price of a house in Florida is higher than those states which have a lower median downpayment?

Does this incorporate home purchases where the buyer paid cash so that the "downpayment" is the purchase price or only those purchases where the buyer obtained a mortgage?

Is this based on actual home purchase closings or based on home listings?

Does this incorporate all home purchases including FHA, VA, non-conforming?
I agree. It does not make much sense. How is bankrate getting this info in this blog?

Old 02-28-2024, 05:46 PM

179 posts, read 297,857 times
I trust this data much more. https://www.thisoldhouse.com/studies...yment-by-state

Florida is not even top 15 states for down payment.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:59 PM

505 posts, read 263,398 times
Well, yes, the median down-payment varies from state-to-state. And the cost of a home varies from neighborhood to neighborhood within each state. So even states with "high" median down-payments will have half the homes below that point. This result ( median down payment ) really doesn't say much of anything about affordability.

And for those who think times are tough ( and interest rates are high ) my first two mortagess were 12% and 11.5% respectively.

So if the house you want is not affordable, buy something smaller and cheaper. Build equity and pay off the high-interest-rate mortgage early. Then wait until the interest rates are low again before "moving up" ...

The real question is, do we really need that big fancy expensive house? Why not just live within our means and be happy.

I have had several big fancy expensive homes. And now I don't. And I am now just as happy, if not more so.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu View Post
I agree. It does not make much sense. How is bankrate getting this info in this blog?
Apparently (according to the info posted on that link), creator Julie Peasley maps the median down payment on a single-family home by U.S. state, using data from Realtor.com, accessed through Bankrate, a publisher and rate comparison service focused on the banking industry.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post

So if the house you want is not affordable, buy something smaller and cheaper. Build equity and pay off the high-interest-rate mortgage early. Then wait until the interest rates are low again before "moving up" ...

The real question is, do we really need that big fancy expensive house? Why not just live within our means and be happy.

I have had several big fancy expensive homes. And now I don't. And I am now just as happy, if not more so.
Very true, but people got used to large homes (with a lot of space simply wasted) and some think that their right to have a big house is somewhere written in a Constitution.
To many, it seems to be very hard to think about downsizing. (house or car)
Even when financially and practically, it's
the only option that makes sense.

I read that the American obsession with large houses is a matter of culture, policy, and economics and restricts smaller, more affordable options.
It's the the desire and expectation for vast personal space.
However, that expectation isn't cheap anymore and while there is actually market for smaller houses, very few builders see that.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:04 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I thought the whole point of life was to get rich and buy a big house.

Was there something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate