Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 07:31 AM

46 posts, read 22,938 times

Advertisements

The condo board is saying they want 3 weeks to review a rental application. That sounds ridiculous and will cost me rent and I will potentially lose the tenant who wants to move in – in 2 weeks.

What recourse do I have? They are just being difficult. I don't want to hire a lawyer (yet), but I will if I have to. I'd like to resolve this amicably.

I know condos don't typically require board approval for rentals, but my condo is a beast of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 08:38 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
What do the Covenants say about length of review?

Old 03-08-2024, 08:40 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Keep in mind, depending on the type of search required by the BOD, it is not unusual for that estimated time frame. I have homes in 2 different HOA's and we have a method to speed up the process when it requires quick approval. There may be an additional fee to do so. Reach out to a current board member to see if they have a way to speed up the process. No guarantee but that would be my suggestion.

FWIW: most boards meet every 30 days or quarterly and don't have an easy option to vote earlier. You won't know until you ask.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:40 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylecooper View Post
The condo board is saying they want 3 weeks to review a rental application. That sounds ridiculous and will cost me rent and I will potentially lose the tenant who wants to move in – in 2 weeks.

What recourse do I have? They are just being difficult. I don't want to hire a lawyer (yet), but I will if I have to. I'd like to resolve this amicably.

I know condos don't typically require board approval for rentals, but my condo is a beast of its own.
What did they say when you responded to them asking if there was some way to expedite it because you have a tenant who wants to move in in two weeks? Or did you not do that and just decided to cop an attitude that "they are just being difficult?"

I'm on my condo/townhouse board and we never do anything "just to be difficult". Most people don't. Maybe change your approach and stop making defensive assumptions, and find out WHY it takes three weeks and/or if it can be expedited. There is very likely a valid reason for the time frame that you don't know about, and it may be possible to work around it if you don't act like a jerk when you talk to your board.

BTW, we don't require approval or rentals, but we passed a rule that you can't rent your unit until you've owned for three years (to prevent too many owner-investors from coming in and outnumbering owner-occupied units), and you have to provide a copy of the lease and information about the occupants (emergency and notification numbers, pets, etc.) same as owners.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-08-2024 at 09:52 AM..

Old 03-08-2024, 01:09 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Remember, condo board may have their own legal requirements to conduct some business in a specific manner such as at a monthly meeting. Additionally, depending on the criteria they must follow for review, they may have to wait for another entity (often the management company) to get back to them with certain items or reports. Lastly, have you been a PITA to the board in the past? If so, kinda bites one in the rear!

Just to add, since you've been renting for some time now, is this inline with prior approval timelines? Maybe they are also concerned because the last tenant backed out and they want to be a bit more careful. Or because of the issue over the tax abatement, they decided your not a resident but some evil investor destroying the condo's value by just renting your unit.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:43 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
that is the draw back of renting out a coop or condo .

we had to wait for the board meeting to get a tenant approved and if we just missed the last one then we had to wait another month .

coops and condos are not designed to be rented out the way they function

it usually meant i lost a months rent coming in the way the timing worked.

many don’t even allow rental

Old 03-08-2024, 06:16 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I’m on the condo board and we only meet every two months so we vote by email on items that need more immediate attention. However, we don’t require board approval to rent their unit.

Old 03-09-2024, 01:47 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
here in nyc we have what is called sponsor rights if one is lucky enough to get them when they buy .

when a building goes co-op there are a number of unsold apartments which are held by the sponsor of the coop .

the sponsor has certain rights no one else has

they can rent or sell with no board approval

they can set their own terms for down payment amounts , sale prices and even no down payments required when bylaws require 25% .

these rights can be passed on when one buys from the sponsor only and you specifically have to request it .

but you can never live there yourself , it must remain an investment for you to retain those sponsor rights .

those rights are very important to investors and here most investor will not buy unless you can pass on sponsor rights .

luckily we had them with the big package we bought in manhattan .

we did not have them in the apartment we bought in kew gardens so all tenants needed approval

Old 03-09-2024, 11:03 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I’m on the condo board and we only meet every two months so we vote by email on items that need more immediate attention. However, we don’t require board approval to rent their unit.
Same here but we require board approval for renters. We just had a prospective renter apply for a condo rental and he had lied about being convicted of a prior crime. The background check found the crime so I'm glad we have to approve all leases. There are only about 70 units in my condo so it's not too often that I have to approve.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:41 PM

122 posts, read 82,473 times
Condo Boards are made up of unpaid volunteers. As others have stated, they typically meet only monthly, and there is no mechanism for any ONE individual Board Member to make a decision on a submitted application. All Board decisions must be made by a majority OF the Board.

Having said that, the actual process of approving a properly completed Rental Application takes a very short time if you have access to the proper tools. Be sure that you, and the Board, is following the applicable laws such as Fair Housing; Fair Credit Reporting Act; Service Members Civil Relief Act, and others.

Were you aware of this requirement before you purchased or started renting the unit? All buyers have the opportunity to obtain copies of Association rules prior to purchase. The problem is, very, very, few take the time to read and understand the consequences of those rules. This, in spite of the fact that by purchasing, you are indicating your agreement to abide BY those rules, according to law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate