Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 07:20 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khich View Post
Yeah, very less inventory at that price point. Market has moved along.
If you are not selling a home, time is your friend. If you take six months to find the right home at the right price, it will pay off. For one thing, interest rates probably will go down this year - another reason to take your time and not rush.

Also find a great home inspector - never use one recommended by a realtor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 07:40 AM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Also find a great home inspector - never use one recommended by a realtor!
I don't agree with that. I want my clients to have a through inspection so they can be aware of as many potential expenses as possible. I say get recommendations for inspectors and shop for quality!

Old 03-19-2024, 08:01 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
The ideal income: zero.

Purchase the house from existing assets - e.g., write a check. No change to the family balance sheet as it is merely an asset transfer.

Fund ongoing homeowner expenses from existing assets: write a check.

Zero income.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:34 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Don’t make this more complicated than it has to be. Assuming you have 20+ years until retirement, as long as you can handle all of the housing expenses on 50% post tax income, you’ll be OK. Your income will grow until retirement so housing expenses tend to get easier as time goes in.
Not so simple. If you sign up for a house or lifestyle that requires a continually increasing income, you not only take on more risk in a recession, but also you have forgone all career flexibility not just for yourself but for any adult in the household whose income was used to qualify. This means if anyone regrets their career choice after 5 or 7 years, you are shackled and stuck. Want more time with kids? Too bad. Have health issues? Too bad. Disabled family member? Too bad. Those shackles are very hard to remove once installed.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:52 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Not so simple. If you sign up for a house or lifestyle that requires a continually increasing income, you not only take on more risk in a recession, but also you have forgone all career flexibility not just for yourself but for any adult in the household whose income was used to qualify. This means if anyone regrets their career choice after 5 or 7 years, you are shackled and stuck. Want more time with kids? Too bad. Have health issues? Too bad. Disabled family member? Too bad. Those shackles are very hard to remove once installed.
Great points!

I brought a house in 2007, and the Great Recession hit in 2008. My neighborhood's real estate sales dropped like a lead balloon including my new house. It dropped in value by more than $100,000. When covid raised my neighborhood's housing prices, I jumped at the opportunity to sell it. Finally, I sold it for what I paid in 2007. I lost a ton of money if you consider the money and work spent on updates and new appliances. It was my fourth house and my worse real estate investment. Well, it's not much, but I got the tax write off for those years!

I was lucky because I used the profits from my previous home sales for this house's downpayment. My downpayment was so high, I was never underwater. However, many people walked away from houses in 2008 when their mortgages were higher than the resale value of their houses.

There are so many things that can go wrong! My sister's house had a foundation issue so the house had to be raised and the foundation redone. It cost her 15% of her homes purchase price back in 1990's. They had to refinance their mortgage to make the repair. Another friend's well dried up and it cost close to $40,000 to drill a new well. YMMV

Last edited by YorktownGal; 03-21-2024 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-21-2024, 05:56 PM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

Purchase the house from existing assets - e.g., write a check. No change to the family balance sheet as it is merely an asset transfer.

Zero income.
Most people in the United States would never own a home if they did that.

Old 03-22-2024, 12:48 PM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

Zero income.
horrible idea ….few have those resources to do that .

money is made using other people’s money in that case

Old 03-25-2024, 07:06 PM

860 posts, read 1,336,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khich View Post
Hello All,

I have been looking at homes on off basis. Based in NJ. So property taxes are high. The towns i am looking at in Central Jersey have property taxes around 22-24k for such a house. T

So taking a home prices of 999,999 USD, a high water mark property taxes of 24k. 2 young kids and a spouse. Have been saving for the last few years dilligently and can swing a downpayment of 500k, what would be an ideal take home income needed to run such a house? I have run some calculators on this but the results vary so much.

Another option is to start looking at other towns with somewhat longer commute. But save money in the longer run.

To add more context, outgrown our current place, and not a great school district. Another thought is to wait more, and save more money.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Also in NJ. Trust me - buy less than you can afford. Find something the $600k range and be happy with your Teflon savings and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate