Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 09:43 AM

25 posts, read 22,007 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have been looking at homes on off basis. Based in NJ. So property taxes are high. The towns i am looking at in Central Jersey have property taxes around 22-24k for such a house. T

So taking a home prices of 999,999 USD, a high water mark property taxes of 24k. 2 young kids and a spouse. Have been saving for the last few years dilligently and can swing a downpayment of 500k, what would be an ideal take home income needed to run such a house? I have run some calculators on this but the results vary so much.

Another option is to start looking at other towns with somewhat longer commute. But save money in the longer run.

To add more context, outgrown our current place, and not a great school district. Another thought is to wait more, and save more money.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 10:06 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khich View Post
Hello All,

I have been looking at homes on off basis. Based in NJ. So property taxes are high. The towns i am looking at in Central Jersey have property taxes around 22-24k for such a house. T

So taking a home prices of 999,999 USD, a high water mark property taxes of 24k. 2 young kids and a spouse. Have been saving for the last few years dilligently and can swing a downpayment of 500k, what would be an ideal take home income needed to run such a house? I have run some calculators on this but the results vary so much.

Another option is to start looking at other towns with somewhat longer commute. But save money in the longer run.

To add more context, outgrown our current place, and not a great school district. Another thought is to wait more, and save more money.

no one can say without knowing all your expenses

usually banks want to see housing costs and total debt under 36% and no more than 28% in total housing costs.

so it isn’t only about house value

Old 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
So you’re looking at about a $5,500 monthly mortgage payment (PITI)

Assuming no debt and one parent staying home, I would say a gross income of $200,000 or better (about $11,300 net monthly income after taxes, medical insurance, and 401k contributions)

If it’s 2 working parents, I would bump that up to $250,000 minimum gross income

But like mathjak said, this is pretty subjective depending on what your expenses are

Old 03-09-2024, 09:15 PM

25 posts, read 22,007 times
@mathjak107 and @hudsonconj

Thanks for your responses. I will continue number crunching and look at the scenarios. I wish the property tax was a bit less. Property taxes keep increasing, and if i start from 24k who knows where it will end.

Thanks again.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:44 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
If you’re not tied to Central NJ. Check out Paramus. Property taxes are probably half of that.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:50 PM

10,291 posts, read 6,813,150 times
I can't fathom a prop tax of $2000/month. That could pretty much destroy an SS benefit.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:29 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
my son in westchester pays 35k a year in property taxes .

the house he was interested in buying before the deal fell thru was 41k

this is just the norm in many high end areas .

in fact his street has the dividing line down it between westchester and greenwich ct .

greenwich CT , next to beverly hills is one of the most expensive towns to live in .

actually real estate taxes are lower across the street in greenwich CT , but the homes are so much more , so it works out close .

he picked the ny side because he likes the school district better .

so there can be a flip side to higher taxes in some cases because with lower taxes the home may end up costing more despite the valuation being lower in ny.

now here in nyc we have fairly low real estate taxes compared to long island and westchester .

however nyc has a local income tax .

The NYC income tax rate is between 3.078% and 3.876% depending on your income bracket. This local tax is levied on the income of New York City residents and is in addition to state income taxes, which range from 4% to 10.9%.

interesting enough my state and local taxes are incredibly low as a retiree . most of our income is all state and local tax exempt so we paid in total 925 dollars in local and state taxes for 2023

also property tax rates are very different on apartment buildings then private homes .

so rents here can be much cheaper then owning a single family home because taxes are lower on rental buildings.

also incomes in areas like westchester run very high for many . these incomes can easily max out social security benefits .

our kids and their spouses being professionals have been at the highest ss cap limit since graduating 20 years ago . they could see in todays dollars over 90k a year in ss as a couple

so there can be a lot going on with housing costs below the sheer numbers

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-11-2024 at 02:54 AM..

Old 03-11-2024, 07:17 AM

1,238 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Hello All,

Don’t make this more complicated than it has to be. Assuming you have 20+ years until retirement, as long as you can handle all of the housing expenses on 50% post tax income, you’ll be OK. Your income will grow until retirement so housing expenses tend to get easier as time goes in.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Based on the likely payment amount and 1/3 rule I would say an income of about $200k is doable, as long as you don't have a lot of other big expenses like car payments and student loans.

I'm feeling a little better now seeing some other higher property tax. Ours here in Sammamish WA is about $11,000/year now on a 3,000 sf house valued at 1.4 million after going up about $1,000/year since about 2014.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:23 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Hello All,

The old rule of thumb is that PITI should not exceed 1/3 of your gross income, and it's a lot better to keep it below 1/4. Of course if you put half down you won't have the mortgage insurance which is a big help.

Look up recent mortgage rates, plug in $500,000 into any of the online mortgage calculators, and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate