Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 881 times

Advertisements

Hello Forum Members,

I recently purchased a home and have encountered several concerning issues that were not disclosed to me during the purchase process. Firstly, upon inspection, I discovered that there are no subfloors in the home, which was not mentioned prior to the purchase. Additionally, despite the assurance of freshly painted walls, the paint is now peeling off in large chunks throughout the house. And I’ve also noticed that there is water stains where the paint is coming off in the bathroom on the ceiling .Moreover, the seller was supposed to have the home exterminated due to signs of rodents in the attic, but this was not carried out as promised.

I feel that my real estate agent failed to adequately represent my interests in this transaction, as they did not ensure proper disclosures were made and failed to address these issues effectively. Despite repeated requests over the past year, I have yet to receive receipts for the extermination that was supposed to be conducted.

Given these circumstances, I am seeking advice on whether I have grounds to pursue legal action against the seller for failure to disclose the absence of subfloors, the poor condition of the paint, and the unfulfilled extermination agreement. Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.Mizzimba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 05:24 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Only way to know is to consult with a local real estate attorney. Show documentation.

Old 03-19-2024, 05:41 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Don't forget that when you refer to "your agent" and you are the buyer, they are not qualified nor should they be used for an inspection. That's why you hire a home inspector who should be an independent contractor whose job is only to inspect and not write contracts. I do agree that you should reach out to a real estate attorney.

Old 03-19-2024, 05:51 PM

5,959 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzimba View Post
Hello Forum Members,

I recently purchased a home and have encountered several concerning issues that were not disclosed to me during the purchase process. Firstly, upon inspection, I discovered that there are no subfloors in the home, which was not mentioned prior to the purchase. Additionally, despite the assurance of freshly painted walls, the paint is now peeling off in large chunks throughout the house. And I’ve also noticed that there is water stains where the paint is coming off in the bathroom on the ceiling .Moreover, the seller was supposed to have the home exterminated due to signs of rodents in the attic, but this was not carried out as promised.

I feel that my real estate agent failed to adequately represent my interests in this transaction, as they did not ensure proper disclosures were made and failed to address these issues effectively. Despite repeated requests over the past year, I have yet to receive receipts for the extermination that was supposed to be conducted.

Given these circumstances, I am seeking advice on whether I have grounds to pursue legal action against the seller for failure to disclose the absence of subfloors, the poor condition of the paint, and the unfulfilled extermination agreement. Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.Mizzimba
1. Subfloors: Was the subject of subfloors mentioned in the listing documents, the home inspection, or in the contract to purchase? If not, then your expectations or assumptions about them are not likely to be enforceable. Sellers don't typically offer guarantees on condition of the house other than to be in operational condition on the date of the closing.

2. Paint Condition: Similar to Subfloors above. Any mention of the paint conditions in listing documents, home inspection, or in the contract to purchase? If not, then it would have to be assumed that you had no problems with the paint condition. The exception to that would be if it's apparent that the seller made an obvious attempt to hide defects from the inspector and from your observations when you looked at the house. In that case, you might be able to get the seller to fix the problem or face the possibility of a lawsuit for failure to disclose a known defect along with attempts to conceal the defects.

3. Extermination Agreement: Typically, the seller would provide proof of a Termite Contract (or similar document) prior to the closing. If this wasn't provided, then you shouldn't have closed on the contract. If it was provided and you suspect termites or bugs of some kind, then call the company that provided the contract coverage and ask them to come and treat the house for the termites or bugs per the contract.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:59 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Those seeking legal advice should consult an atttorney; not random internet strangers.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:25 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Hello Forum Members,

I recently purchased a home and have encountered several concerning issues that were not disclosed to me during the purchase process. Firstly, upon inspection, I discovered that there are no subfloors in the home, which was not mentioned prior to the purchase.

I am a bit lost on this one. If you had "no subfloors" (proper sheathing on joists) how did you walk through the home without dropping between joists?

Additionally, despite the assurance of freshly painted walls, the paint is now peeling off in large chunks throughout the house. And I’ve also noticed that there is water stains where the paint is coming off in the bathroom on the ceiling .

Who assured you about "freshly painted walls" and what did they assure you of?

Moreover, the seller was supposed to have the home exterminated due to signs of rodents in the attic, but this was not carried out as promised.

Who identified the signs of rodents in the attic? How did you get the seller's "promise" to correct this, was it in writing?

I feel that my real estate agent failed to adequately represent my interests in this transaction, as they did not ensure proper disclosures were made and failed to address these issues effectively.

Did the Real Estate Salesperson provide some type of assurance that they would review and verify the disclosure paperwork? Did the Real Estate Salesperson provide that assurance in writing?

How do you feel the Real Estate Salesperson failed to effectively address specific issues you requested them to address? Did the Real Estate Salesperson promise to address these and did they give that promise in writing?

Despite repeated requests over the past year, I have yet to receive receipts for the extermination that was supposed to be conducted.

Who have you been requesting the receipts from for the past year? Were you going directly to the Seller or your Real Estate Salesperson?

Thank you.Mizzimba

I have additional questions in blue above as the provided information is very general and vague.

Where are you located (State at least)? This can help others provide more specific responses.

Did you have your own home inspection performed? Was any of these issues identified or intimated (suggested) in the report?

Was the Seller a Flipper (Investor) or other Real Estate Salesperson?

Anyone can start a legal action against anyone else for any reason if they can find an Attorney to take the case. You can always obtain an initial consultation to determine what the merits of any case are, what the prospects are of winning, and what the costs might be.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:55 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Hello Forum Members,

Thank you.Mizzimba

What do you mean by "no subfloors"? Please be descriptive. What kind of floors are there?

Did you have a professional inspection? Was/is there sign of a current leak or moisture problem in the bathroom or elsewhere?

What was promised for the rats, and how do you know it wasn't done?

As already said, we can't (or shouldn't) give legal advice, but we do have experience and curiosity with houses and Real Estate transactions, so try to be more descriptive, maybe we can help/learn/explain/advise something.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:45 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
The rats might have been exterminated, but unless their access points were remediated, they will return almost immediately. Receipts for the poisoning isn't going to change this. The problem was never really the rats, the problem was rat access.

You didn't indicate what type of flooring you have. Not all floors have subfloors, especially in older homes.

The peeling paint: what is underneath it?

Old 03-20-2024, 05:51 AM

558 posts, read 433,850 times
I am just a random reader/sometime buyer of a home to live in. But inquiring minds do want to know . . .

What do you have if you don't have a subfloor? Do you mean the house is on a slab, and there is just concrete?

Old 03-20-2024, 06:04 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
1. Subfloors: Was the subject of subfloors mentioned in the listing documents, the home inspection, or in the contract to purchase? If not, then your expectations or assumptions about them are not likely to be enforceable. Sellers don't typically offer guarantees on condition of the house other than to be in operational condition on the date of the closing.

2. Paint Condition: Similar to Subfloors above. Any mention of the paint conditions in listing documents, home inspection, or in the contract to purchase? If not, then it would have to be assumed that you had no problems with the paint condition. The exception to that would be if it's apparent that the seller made an obvious attempt to hide defects from the inspector and from your observations when you looked at the house. In that case, you might be able to get the seller to fix the problem or face the possibility of a lawsuit for failure to disclose a known defect along with attempts to conceal the defects.

3. Extermination Agreement: Typically, the seller would provide proof of a Termite Contract (or similar document) prior to the closing. If this wasn't provided, then you shouldn't have closed on the contract. If it was provided and you suspect termites or bugs of some kind, then call the company that provided the contract coverage and ask them to come and treat the house for the termites or bugs per the contract.

This is your answer exactly. No need to see an attorney unless you want to try to sue the realtor. I assume you had a contract with a buyer's agent? If so, you should have demanded better of him/her before the closing.

The burden is on you, the buyer. You are supposed to do due diligence (which could include pulling up a corner of carpet to expose flooring beneath) and a final walk through before closing on a property. Caveat Emptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate