Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:25 PM

307 posts, read 243,096 times

Advertisements

@Brandon I didn't crunch those numbers. I've been a landlord before and not looking to get back into it.

I've not rented since college; not a fan of it at all but trying to use a data-based approach rather than my disdain for renting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:27 PM

10,389 posts, read 8,627,866 times
someone said another factor is landscape costs as a home owner. here a lot of rental leases have the renter maintaining the premises so that might not be a factor.
I don't know the numbers,but someone mentioned appreciation.
That 1800 a month inversted is probably subject to income taxes. If you get appreciation as an owner most likely when you sell you will not pay tax on the appreciation you earn as the homeowner.
I bought in 2019. it's been 5 years and my house has gone from 463k to 818K. Thats a 77% return which is pretty good. Im not sayiing it will continue, but for the last 4 years a lot of people said it was going to crash.

Old Today, 07:24 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,764,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
Thanks everyone.

The last two times we dipped our toes in this market it was epically outrageous. $50k over asking, inspections waived, free rentback for 3 months.

So there's raw number I posted, and then there's a "crazy factor" that might make it all moot.

Appears to be that most things are going for 5% over asking, but no word on inspection waiving and free rentbacks.
Signs of a strong market.

One of the houses I bought in the late 90’s was in a market like that. Swallowed hard to get in. Paid about $340,000. Sold it 3 years later for $450,000 ish. Felt good about that. Looked at it on Zillow recently $1.8 million.

Old Today, 07:35 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,764,717 times
Where rents are rising and falling.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/05/21/wher...re-rising.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate