Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:32 AM

307 posts, read 243,096 times

Advertisements

Currently in a VHCOL area.

Rent is $3250. Great place, great location.

House payment if we were to buy would be right at $5000.

We will live here 4-6 years maximum.

Napkin/legal pad math is telling me that as long as I invest that $1800 difference I'm "ahead' by a bit.

Sound about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,731 posts, read 81,641,337 times
No one can predict the future, but if you would only stay 4-6 years, buying now could be a disaster if the home prices drop during that time. Even if the value keeps going up that number of years won't likely produce a lot of equity, so best to rent, and use the savings toward the down payment when you make the next move.

Old Today, 08:37 AM

34,159 posts, read 83,243,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
Rent is $3250. House payment ... right at $5000.
And if you're held in by a mortgage that 4-6 could easily lead to a 10-15 year term.

The Same Old Question is about how much of the premium VHCOL income you're earning there
(in that VHCOL area) will be required to cover the housing cost obligation there ...
A) can you really cover the nut now and B) how tough would it be to replace a good job THERE.

Old Today, 08:53 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,764,717 times
I don’t know the answer, but what is often overlooked is your return is based on the appreciation of the house value, not your equity. So if a $1 million dollar house goes up 15% in that time frame, you earn $150,000. If your down payment was $200,000, your actual return is 75%.
Your property tax and mortgage interest may also be deductible.
The big if is will your rent go up in the timeframe as well, likely yes.

Old Today, 09:55 AM

11,000 posts, read 22,047,580 times
Quote:

Napkin/legal pad math is telling me that as long as I invest that $1800 difference I'm "ahead' by a bit.

Sound about right?
It could go either way. If rates go down prices could skyrocket again and you could get a windfall. If prices fall you could be upside down. Rent tends to be more stable. If you had to move in 4-6, could you rent the home out and cover your mortgage?

Old Today, 11:15 AM

6,582 posts, read 8,446,445 times
Quote:

Sound about right?
Be sure to include the costs of buying and selling a home in your calculations plus the cost of maintaining a home you own. As an example, if you're going from renting to buying are you now responsible for your own lawncare/landscaping and will either have to purchase the equipment to do it yourself or hire a service.

Regardless, if I were in your shoes, I would continue to rent because of the 4-6 year timeframe.

Old Today, 01:42 PM

15,607 posts, read 40,546,149 times
I would rent. You pay so much interest in those first few years that it doesn't make much sense to buy since you plan to move soon.

Old Today, 03:32 PM

17,509 posts, read 22,261,458 times
Quote:

Sound about right?
Hot market, high rates.........keep renting.

2 years ago it would have been buy buy buy!

I've got an distant family member that "rented" for 10 years waiting to "time" the market. They owned for awhile, then divorce/then renting while "timing"

Needless to say it failed miserably.........market spiked 30%++++ and rates ballooned. They bought anyway but its costing more than they fantasized paying and the market has leveled off so future appreciation is on hold.

Worse part: $400,000 in lost rent money!

Old Today, 03:48 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,764,717 times
Rent money evaporates. Mortgage money adds equity, gives you market appreciation leverage and possibly a tax deduction.
I’ve owned 7 or 8 houses in my lifetime and only lost money on one and it was only about $40,000 because we decided to upgrade in a down market. That $40,000 came back to us 5X in the next house. Average stay in each house 5-6 years.
If you are making good coin, itemizing probably is to your advantage anyway and makes home ownership even better.

Old Today, 06:22 PM

307 posts, read 243,096 times
Thanks everyone.

The last two times we dipped our toes in this market it was epically outrageous. $50k over asking, inspections waived, free rentback for 3 months.

So there's raw number I posted, and then there's a "crazy factor" that might make it all moot.

Appears to be that most things are going for 5% over asking, but no word on inspection waiving and free rentbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate