Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 06:59 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Well Whofanme the trouble with that is ..........I really hate when a realtor then thinks they are all of a sudden " my realtor"
You say..........Call the lisitng office.
Well, I grab a few flyers and they have different offices.
I know from past experience.......each and every one of those realtors because of that call......thinks I am now theirs. They want to email me, hand me a card to fill out, go to their site, call me........etc.

A price crossed off is fine by me........
All the info is there.........Then I don't have to be hooked up with 10 realtors who want my sale.
It gets all too pushy, which is why a bunch of people go around on their own.........so they can look, get facts, and not in the least be obligated.

I love my color brochure that is in the box on our street........
Not eveybody is online looking. Some are too busy, and they grab a flyer as they pass by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 07:05 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I just sold a home last week where they drove by and grabbed the flyer. I do property blog sites for my clients, so they hit that next, then called me for the showing. It was great.

They were the first showing for the home and closed 30 days later...

I'm a firm believer in flyers as they have always generated interest for my sellers.

P.S. I only do color ones.
Ours are colored on a nice stock paper supplied by our Realtor.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:09 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
The ones I see are in leaky boxes with runny colored ink and old prices or worse, old prices crossed out with newer prices. In my opinion, everybody has wireless phones now and they call the listing office if they want more information.
That has happened once so far when the lid was lefted up (that happens alot). I check it everyday, I just pulled the wet smeared ones out and replaced with new ones.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:09 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
I see your point Summering. Most serious buyers will eventually hire an agent to represent them in the deal, which will stop the other agents from soliciting their business. In the preliminary stages that you are talking about, it's great to drive the neighborhood and make notes - that will make the task easier down the road.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
I see your point Summering. Most serious buyers will eventually hire an agent to represent them in the deal, which will stop the other agents from soliciting their business. In the preliminary stages that you are talking about, it's great to drive the neighborhood and make notes - that will make the task easier down the road.
When we try & get them to call us there is always an opportunity to pick up a new buyer client but most important ....

Who knows the house better then you and your agent. If they call your agent it gives the agent a chance to ask "Is this in your price range & would you like to take a tour of the house?"

Just trying to do our jobs.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:41 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
It really is a great help. We, and our girls also.........have always driven around on our own. We have gone to the homes on line and checked the neighborhood.....thats when the flyers come in handy.
I will be a serious buyer one day soon, but for now it is the initial looking around. Neighborhood, pricing, location, area facts........all that we do ahead of time. The task ahead becomes so much easier.
Why waste the realtors and my time going to areas and homes that are not going to cut it.
Over the years I have come across way too many aggresive agents.
I try to avoid that........I have many, many stories but here is one.

A realtor called that she would be sending me out a booklet/brochure for the area I was interested in, would I mind.?....( no certainly not, go ahead)
A bit later........a call from a male...........Oh this is so and so, do you remember me? ( not really, but I tried to be polite).......I'd like to send you out a brochure ( well, ok......fine, thanks)........
I never got either brochure........neither ever came.
Why?
This was two realtors in the same office, both on a quest of " who I belonged to" Her? or Him? Who had I talked to "first"........
( by their names, I saw them listed in the same office)

I have many stories, that is just one. I don't want to be in the middle of who "owns" me. I do like to choose my realtor. I want one who is nice, not pushy, and who isn't the type to partake in things like the story above. Compatiable is a big word for me.......don't assign me someone...Please!!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Best case :

A drive bye bought the house

Worst case:

A former FSBO who resented the heck out of "being forced to list" refused to participate in restocking the box. Instead, they would make numerous trips to the box, each day to check on the supply and called me to run over with a fresh supply, sometimes multiple times a day. They put so much effort into resisting that listing their home might have a better outcome than their FSBO efforts....it almost cost them a sale.

And of course the closing was a dry one , when funds did not arrive, ontime. This was my first listing and the benchmark for all others. Nothing could or will ever be as challenging as that one was. I savor every morsel. I am a real estate junkie.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:26 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagylyn View Post
On the For Sale sign posted in your front yard there is a little box where you keep flyers about your house.
We keep our's filled and keep count of how many has gone in/out.
48 has so far gone out.

I know in the beginning your neighbors are grabbing them, but I have seen several people riding by and stopping to get one.

My question is - Has anyone ever sold their house by someone riding by and getting a flyer from the box?

Yes, I think our fliers helped us sell our house.
I should take a picture of the agents flier, I have a partial pic of mine here. On our flier, I made sure I listed key points, things that to me as a buyer would matter. We'd done a lot of work in the house the last 6 years; new roof, electric upgrade, water heater, furnace, central AC; while our competition focused on those "new kitchens & baths".

Our area was a lot of 1970's homes, faux brick, paneling. We'd removed paneling from every room except one, which was a large bathroom we didn't want to touch since we were moving. It had new floor, toilet & new counter, tub was in so-so shape. Kitchen also had new floor & counter but we did not touch the cabinets because they were a good color (medium wood) and in great shape.

Anyway, I'm straying... Our competition ended up doing a 1/2 @ssed job on their kitchens & baths (read cheap cabinets) as well as on one bathroom, the toilet was so close to the tub you could barely sit on it. They also advertised central air, yet I hear it was old & didn't work. Most of the houses while cosmetically might have looked better then ours (those 2 rooms) mechanically, it couldn't be beat. They also did not work on every room, instead left the paneling up; so here buyers were thinking they'd be walking an updated house when in reality, it was only the kitchen & bath plus no mechanicals.

We had a new neighbor that ended up doing the electric upgrade as well as a water heater & a few other things (think the pump went) was looking to do central air but had to recover from everything. He said that to him, as a buyer, the new mechanicals would matter.

In the end, my hubby looked at our MLS sheet and found errors. Things like the stove, dryer; he also never added the info about the fairly new stuff, nor the new furnace. No wonder we weren't getting much action. Once my fliers got into the box, people started calling & walking the house.

Fliers, to me as a buyer, are important. I don't want a lot of pictures, I can see them online. I want to know the most important things about the house.

Quote:
The ones I see are in leaky boxes with runny colored ink and old prices or worse, old prices crossed out with newer prices. In my opinion, everybody has wireless phones now and they call the listing office if they want more information.
In our 9 months of selling...
One agent was great about fliers, not putting too much out, giving me the rest of the pile so that I can replace them so that they do not get ruined. She also used to ask via email if we needed more. She wasn't a local agent either & had to drive about 40 minutes to give me more.

Local agent printed 50 "high quality" fliers. Don't remember if they gave me the bulk to replace, I know I had a pile but think I took the bulk out. They never checked our box, never asked if we needed fliers. If we had a price drop, never came with new fliers. It was me that had to cross off the price (used to only do 10 at a time). I've also had to cross off stuff/change stuff on the printed MLS sheet.

At one point I got tired of not being able to change things myself & made my own flier.

As a buyer, I would rather see the crossed out price then the old price. It shows me someone is watching the fliers.

The runny old fliers are due to an agent being lazy and loading up the box. There is no reason (usually anyway) to put 50 fliers in at once.

As a buyer, empty boxes were a peeve to me. Why have the box when you don't fill it? I have to wonder if sellers think their house will sell itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate