Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:23 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,791 times

Advertisements

THL, isn't this essentially an "agency" issue between the inspector and any unauthorized user-but-non-purchaser of the report?

It also sounds as if in Texas a seller would be wise to not retain the physical report. They can then report truthfully that on XXX a report was prepared by YYY but they do not have a copy of said document.

I guess there are sellers out there who would try to slip something by on a buyer, but that sure seems to me to be something that could come back to "bite" them. Out here that could mean treble damages in a court case. These days it truly pays to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 PM

995 posts, read 3,929,603 times
Like others said, anything is possible in this market.

Who's paying for the inspection? I believe it's the buyers. Then the buyers must be interested in your house. I wouldn't pay $$$, unless I know there's a good chance that I'll be getting the house. So this is good sign for you, the seller.

If the inspection results come out okay, then you are in a great position for future negotiation. You know the buyer already spent time/effort in your house and probably got emotional. You can leverage this during the negotiation.

On the other hand, if the inspection fails, then the buyer will either walk away or will probably demand for a full repair. The chance of walking away will be higher than the case if he gets the inspection done after the contract. So this is a risk to you.

But you know the condition of your property better than anyone else so you should be able to make an informed decision whether to allow or not. If I were you, I'd definitely allow it. Declining a pre-inspection will raise a flag to the buyers in this market.

One more thing. If the buyer schedules a pre-inspection, let other buyers (2nd lookers) know. This may force the others act faster. If you play your cards right, you may get competitive bidding, even in this market. But do it in subtle way so that you don't scare others away. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate