Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 AM

35 posts, read 226,810 times

Advertisements

Is it unusual for a buyer to want the inspection first? Out of all the homes I have sold as a homeowner, this has never happened. We've always had a contract first, then inspection, then renegotiations as needed. I figure it's their money and as long as I am not put out by the inspector (as in I am still showing my house regardless) then it's fine. I have agreed to it, but is there some reason I'm not thinking of to decline and ask for an offer on paper first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:43 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Bonnie it seems unusual but hey we're not in a normal market with buyers anymore. Like you said-it's their money.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Well, it does shorten the option period time, I would think, since so much of that is based on the inspection and getting estimates and repair negotiations, and that's an advantage in that your house is staying on the market rather than being off the market during the option period.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:53 AM

35 posts, read 226,810 times
Good point! I have two other couples that are coming back for second looks, so it would be wise to wait and see. Thanks, Bonnie

Old 07-23-2008, 01:13 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
In my state the only risk is if you are notified of a material defect from the inspection, you would have to disclose it to all future customers. If that customer passes on your home, you might consider purchasing the inspection to show to future buyers.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
WhoFanMe, any benefit to purchasing the inspection report over just asking the buyer for a copy? As a potential buyer I would be more impressed with another buyers report than I would with an upfront seller purchased report. I would automatically start thinking why did they go to the expense of getting an inspection if they aren't trying to slip something by? I can more easily see an honest motivation from a buyer getting the report in advance.

If the buyer wont share the report, then perhaps buying is not a bad idea to know what they found and fix it......buy why not just ask first?

Old 07-23-2008, 01:48 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
If you are the buyer, how would you know that there is a recent inspection unless the seller made you aware of it? If you're the seller and the buyer declines to purchase your property, they would certainly want compensation for their investment. Some inspections can cost over $700 in my state.

Much depends on who the inspector is, as a buyer's agent, I would have no problem in looking a recent inspection from a reputable inspector. My buyers may want their own inspection, as well.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:01 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
As a potential buyer I would be more impressed with another buyers report than I would with an upfront seller purchased report. I would automatically start thinking why did they go to the expense of getting an inspection if they aren't trying to slip something by? I can more easily see an honest motivation from a buyer getting the report in advance.
This is a side issue. As a potential seller who ordered an inspection prior to placing property on the market, your comment intrigues me. My motivation was to locate and correct all the negatives prior to establishing a fair market price. Was I naive to think this was the proper thing to do?

I've consistently offered to make the inspection notebook available to potential buyers and their agents, and made sure I used the preferred inspector of 90% of the agents from this area. Wondering now if I did wrong?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:01 PM

152 posts, read 432,586 times
We had a buyer ask for a roof inspection before he signed a contract.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:43 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
This is a side issue. As a potential seller who ordered an inspection prior to placing property on the market, your comment intrigues me. My motivation was to locate and correct all the negatives prior to establishing a fair market price. Was I naive to think this was the proper thing to do?

I've consistently offered to make the inspection notebook available to potential buyers and their agents, and made sure I used the preferred inspector of 90% of the agents from this area. Wondering now if I did wrong?
I think you did a great thing by having an inspection upfront and perhaps a buyer will still have another inspection done just to see if the home inspection was done well but than both sides are save and to me it shows honesty.

I can also understand why a buyer would order a home inspection upfront. You don't want to have your deposit out there for a while if it isn't worth it, but still you have to negotiate the price or it can be taken into the negotiation. All different views and all different opinions are possible on this issue, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate