Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:50 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times

Advertisements

Sue the HOA for harrassment. People moving in have rights too. And the HOA letter should have gone to the legal owner, who in turn is responsibile to notify the renter of the rules if hadn't already.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:55 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Your landlord is responsible for giving you the rules and your compliance with them. Many HOAs will only communicate with the owner because there is nothing in it for them to tango with someone else's tennants.

It is curious when people who dislike the concept end up living in an HOA and bucking the system.

A you say, there are so many choices out there, why bother with an HOA, if it's not your cup of tea ?
If the landlord has to give me the rules then ... why didn't the association president mention this? Why did he offer to give me the rules instead?

I'm only RENTING so ... believe me, I won't be bothering with an HOA anymore than that.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
If the landlord has to give me the rules then ... why didn't the association president mention this? Why did he offer to give me the rules instead?

I'm only RENTING so ... believe me, I won't be bothering with an HOA anymore than that.
I don't know why he said what he did, when he did. Maybe he woke up and called the landlord who dropped the ball, in the first place. Maybe he forgot. Maybe he is afraid of you.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe he is afraid of you.
Well ... this neighborhood also has it's fair share of foreclosures with the burnt out lawns, gutted properties, etc.

We've been taking very good care of this property ... the front lawn looks fantastic.

But I guess they don't have anything better to do but pick on the people who actually do make their neighborhood look nice.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Sue the HOA for harrassment. People moving in have rights too. And the HOA letter should have gone to the legal owner, who in turn is responsibile to notify the renter of the rules if hadn't already.
Actually, renters tend to have less rights/more restrictions than homeowners, in most HOAs.

Some, certainly not all, HOAs are almost totalitarian in their control over an owner’s behavior/choices.

Makes sense to figure out what the deal is before moving in.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:08 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
I still do not even understand why and how HOAs are legal.

I understand somewhat the basis of them, not letting a house become a dump or something, but all to often they are filled with people on power trips ready to micromanage every aspect of someones property.

I will never live in one, I do not think I would like to work my ass off to buy a wonderful house then have people tell me what I can and can not do with it. If I want to park my car outside, its my property, my business.

Again, I do not know how HOAs are allowed to legally deprive others of their property rights.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Makes sense to figure out what the deal is before moving in.
Duh ...

It just didn't occur to me that unloading a storage container for ONE DAY would be a problem.

For some reason I thought they were reasonable people. Silly me.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post

Again, I do not know how HOAs are allowed to legally deprive others of their property rights.
Because everyone agrees to abide by the rules when they buy into the place. Here's a realistic take:

Realty Times - The HOA Rule Game

Old 08-02-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Duh ...

It just didn't occur to me that unloading a storage container for ONE DAY would be a problem.

For some reason I thought they were reasonable people. Silly me.

Knowing family members and friends that have experienced the horrors of HOAs, I am lucky that I will learn from them and not indulge into one ever, no matter how good of a deal the house may seem.

Never underestimate the stupidity and power trips HOA people have.

My mom lived in one in Florida and it was a 4 year nightmare, all the way to the point of what color flowers are allowed outside and oh yes, my truck was not allowed to park there because they did not allow pickup trucks there unless they were for work reasons. My mom actually had to get permission and a little permit tag for me to hang on my mirror when i visited.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Because everyone agrees to abide by the rules when they buy into the place. Here's a realistic take:

Realty Times - The HOA Rule Game
I disagree, the rules should not be allowed in the first place. There should not be allowed an organization to dictate to people what they can and can not do to their own property.

Imagine if the state or federal government allowed themselves the same authority? People would be protesting and going crazy.

HOAs have morphed from a reasonable association to one of stringent and impossible rules that dictate the way people live on their own property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate