Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 02:38 PM

91 posts, read 417,049 times

Advertisements

We've just received a second offer to purchase our house. This buyer, like the first one, is an Ameridream client who is hoping to close before October 1st, when DPA programs are slated to be eliminated. We were going to give $5K back to the first buyers at closing, but they couldn't get the mortgage commitment. The new prospective buyers are asking for $18K back at closing (yes, we countered, but we haven't heard back from them yet). Because of what happened with the first would-be buyer, my realtors are making this next P&S (assuming we get there) contingent on the buyer's financing being reviewed by a lender that they know and trust.

This is getting way, way more complicated than I thought it would be. My husband and I saved very hard and lived frugally to buy this house nine years ago (putting money away weekly), and it's difficult for me to see prospective buyers putting $2K down and asking for so much money back. I'm starting to feel kind of angry. Anyway, thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 03:54 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,465 times
Also a warning, the loans can actually close AFTER October 1st in many cases.... but they must be fully approved by the UW before October 1st. Also.... in order to avoid a last minute rush, many lenders are requesting the files be registered by September 1st or submitted shortly after.

So have your agent contact the lender and be 100% sure of the timetable before you spend lots of time/effort negotiating this. If you want it reviewed by the lender, do so before, not after you accept an offer.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:09 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I thought it was fabulous for people wanting to purchase their first, reasonable home. If they are asking for $18K that is a $300,000 home. In most states that's a heck of a nice house.

If $300,000 is a starter home in your area, then I can say I would have no problem with it. If $300,000 is a really nice home in your area, then I wouldn't be willing to pay that out. BUT...I am also not selling my home in the middle of a crappy market. Easy for me to say...

Old 08-31-2008, 03:16 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose View Post
We've just received a second offer to purchase our house. This buyer, like the first one, is an Ameridream client who is hoping to close before October 1st, when DPA programs are slated to be eliminated. We were going to give $5K back to the first buyers at closing, but they couldn't get the mortgage commitment. The new prospective buyers are asking for $18K back at closing (yes, we countered, but we haven't heard back from them yet). Because of what happened with the first would-be buyer, my realtors are making this next P&S (assuming we get there) contingent on the buyer's financing being reviewed by a lender that they know and trust.

This is getting way, way more complicated than I thought it would be. My husband and I saved very hard and lived frugally to buy this house nine years ago (putting money away weekly), and it's difficult for me to see prospective buyers putting $2K down and asking for so much money back. I'm starting to feel kind of angry. Anyway, thanks for listening.

The pb do this because they can and who cares about the seller. Sad isn't it? The greed doesn't seem like greed to the pb but it is. My hubby and I have always been fair when making an offer even this last time when we still had a home to sell but we bought another home. We put 20% down and offered what the going price that the comps said was fair. We then got an offer on our FL home and we had to bring $15.00 to closing. That is not a lot but we had to come down so much. When the buyers agent said she had an offer for our home she asked was our home a short sale. Our agent said no we just put a lot down on the home. She had sold us that home three years prior. Just reading this board I think we should have been more like others and lowballed but then I ask myself could I live with that decision.
Good luck I hope everything works out.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:52 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
The pb do this because they can and who cares about the seller. Sad isn't it? The greed doesn't seem like greed to the pb but it is. My hubby and I have always been fair when making an offer even this last time when we still had a home to sell but we bought another home. We put 20% down and offered what the going price that the comps said was fair. We then got an offer on our FL home and we had to bring $15.00 to closing. That is not a lot but we had to come down so much. When the buyers agent said she had an offer for our home she asked was our home a short sale. Our agent said no we just put a lot down on the home. She had sold us that home three years prior. Just reading this board I think we should have been more like others and lowballed but then I ask myself could I live with that decision.
Good luck I hope everything works out.
Maybe I should know but I don't. What is pb?

Secondly, the buyer has the responsibility to get the best deal possible. It's best to try to make a business decision but no buyer should feel bad about trying to get a deal. Sellers certainly don't feel guilty for making a profit.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Maybe I should know but I don't. What is pb?

Secondly, the buyer has the responsibility to get the best deal possible. It's best to try to make a business decision but no buyer should feel bad about trying to get a deal. Sellers certainly don't feel guilty for making a profit.
PB potential buyer. Yes the buyer does but some have ethics and others do not. Some live by do unto others.... and others don't. I am not the later.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:25 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose View Post

If the $18K is all accounted for on the HUD-1, then you should be fine; but, a seller should never give "cash-back" to the buyer. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:13 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
PB potential buyer. Yes the buyer does but some have ethics and others do not. Some live by do unto others.... and others don't. I am not the later.
What's unethical about making a low offer?

Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
What's unethical about making a low offer?
Depends on the person I quess. We always offered like I posted what the recent comps were on the same type home. There are others that offer $20,000 or more less then the house is worth. We offered $10,000 less then the asking price since we had seen another new home almost like ours for the price that we offered in the same neighborhood and when the builder tried to counter we had that house to back our offer up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate