Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
What is everyones thought on a 1st floor master bedroom?
Not talking about a ranch home here, LOL.

So you have 3 bedrooms on 2nd floor and master on main.
Not to crazy about that. Especially with 2 young kids.
When they wake up at night, they sometimes run to our room and look for us.

Realtors: Is this pretty popular or a turn off for potential buyers?
I wouldn't buy such a house whether I had children or not. I especially wouldn't with children. I never understood the point of the master bedroom being down stairs and the rest upstairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 06:32 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
I like the idea of the master bedroom on a different floor. In fact that is what we are looking for now. Of course we don't have little kids...they are all older and out of the house. My preferance is a rambler or ranch style with the split floor plan, master on one side and two bedrooms on the other. Just lived in too many houses where the bedrooms were all together....too noisy

Old 10-25-2008, 06:58 PM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Master on the main was what we most definitely preferred when we bought our current home - we figured we'd live here for a long time. And thank goodness our master is where it is - I had 3 surgeries over the last few years and having to climb stairs would've been horrible.

We have 3 beds up and the master + 1 more down - laundry on main level too. Our kids were 4 & 5 when we moved here and I was never concerned about the distance.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:39 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,141 times
Here in my part of the country a Master on the Main Floor is essential. We have a large retirement population, and two-stories (main level with an upstairs) are a bear to sell, anyway, but being able to "Live on One Level" (as it's listed in our MLS) does help. In fact, what they call 2-stories around here are usually single story homes with a walk-out lower level.

It's definitely an issue that's specific to each locale.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:43 PM

377 posts, read 1,728,281 times
The master downstairs is very popular in Florida. Usually, the master has views of the backyard and pool (if you have one). Also, there are usually a couple of other bedrooms on the other side of the house. A larger version has a "bonus room" and bathroom upstairs that could either be used as a game room/media room or another bedroom.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:53 PM

51 posts, read 106,592 times
Most realtors I talk to say the master on the 1st floor is preferred. With a couple of children occasionally getting up in the night to get in our best, that is BAD. So, I didn't even look at a house that has a master on the 1st floor. But I can see house older couples might prefer it.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:50 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbravo View Post
I beg to differ on the laundry. The unpopular combination is to have the laundry and the master on different levels. Also, in my experience, most of the younger couples prefer the master to be at the top level.

You're not supposed to put a front load washer in an upstairs laundry room, that's one reason why they are very unpopular in our area.

I would never have my laundry room upstairs, I would not entertain buying a house that had an upstairs laundry room. And I wouldn't buy a house that had a master upstairs, either. Not in my area, I'd never be able to sell it.
But I don't have to worry about that because I will never buy another two story again, either

And we have two small kids, too, that frequently would wake up in the middle of the night and come to our room downstairs at our old house. Never a problem. We always left the upstairs bathroom light on or a nightlight.

But even with a security system, and living in a good area, I like to be on the main floor where I can HEAR everything...

Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We are empty nesters, so would love this arrangement, but I can understand why a younger family wouldn't like it.
Can you make this a guest suite and put a second master upstairs?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:05 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
What is everyones thought on a 1st floor master bedroom?
Not talking about a ranch home here, LOL.

So you have 3 bedrooms on 2nd floor and master on main.
Not to crazy about that. Especially with 2 young kids.
When they wake up at night, they sometimes run to our room and look for us.

Realtors: Is this pretty popular or a turn off for potential buyers?
It depends on the family's needs. We had a first floor master in our last house with 4 bedrooms upstairs. I loved, loved, loved it! My husband hated it. Of course we have two kids and going up and down at night was a pain. BUT, I've seen parents say they WANT to be separated from the kids bedrooms while others want to be close by.

Empty nesters wanting a big house also find a first floor master desireable. When the adult kids and/or grandkids come to visit, they are upstairs.

We sold that house in 2005, 3 days after it was listed. A family with college kids bought it.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:07 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
You're not supposed to put a front load washer in an upstairs laundry room, that's one reason why they are very unpopular in our area.

I would never have my laundry room upstairs, I would not entertain buying a house that had an upstairs laundry room.
TOTALLY FALSE. You absolutely can put a frontload washer in a second floor laundry room...you just cannot put it on those storage stands (pedastals).

Upstairs laundries are HUGELY popular where I live and I LOVE mine! And by the way, the laundry room should be on the same floor as the master
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate