Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:12 PM

156 posts, read 469,723 times

Advertisements

We sold our house in July and always requested at least 30 min notice because we wanted to remove our dog/bowls (any signs of pets) from the house. Now recently, (as a buyer) we looked at a house that had clothes everywhere, about 2 cats roaming around, basically it was a real mess. Guess what though...we made an offer on the house. My DH and I wanted the house and did look past the trash/pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 04:29 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
Why do they make such a big deal out of it then? HMM Honestly, I could see past clutter but I don't like filth. Too me, if the house is filthy, it reflects how the ppl took care of the house. Pictures, bills, toaster, dish rack on the counter doesn't bother me one bit.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,588 times
What is the latest time of the day you should allow for a showing? We have had our house on the market for 2 weeks now, and I had a Realtor ask to show my home at 5:15 pm. I agreed. I have two large dogs which I took to the park just before the scheduled time. I returned 30 minutes later, and found them to still be at my house, so I went to one of my neighbor's homes and visited for another 30 minutes. I figured they had had an hour they should be done. Wrong! I then sat in my car with my 2 dogs for another 30 minutes, before I finally barged in on them, because I had to use the restroom. The following night I had a Realtor ask to show my home at 6 pm. It's mid February, and it gets dark by 6pm. How late is too late?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLJohnson View Post
What is the latest time of the day you should allow for a showing? We have had our house on the market for 2 weeks now, and I had a Realtor ask to show my home at 5:15 pm. I agreed. I have two large dogs which I took to the park just before the scheduled time. I returned 30 minutes later, and found them to still be at my house, so I went to one of my neighbor's homes and visited for another 30 minutes. I figured they had had an hour they should be done. Wrong! I then sat in my car with my 2 dogs for another 30 minutes, before I finally barged in on them, because I had to use the restroom. The following night I had a Realtor ask to show my home at 6 pm. It's mid February, and it gets dark by 6pm. How late is too late?
Totally up to you. When I was selling we said 7PM. But a few times we let people over later when they asked. One of those became our buyers.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:30 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
I try to show buyers in the daylight when possible and this can mean as late as 8:30 in the summer. I've met many a client at homes in the dark at 7 or 8pm. So really it's up to you, but there are quite a lot of people who look after work especially as the days get longer.

In our area, Our electronic lock boxes go dead at 9pm and work again at 8pm the next morning.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,446 times
in our area generally lock boxes aren't used.

when we sold, we made sure that when we left for the day that the house was neat and clean, no dishes in the sink, towels neatly folded etc. we didn't vaccum every day, or light scented candles etc. when we were home we would generally be able to show within 15-20 minutes. mostly the issue isn't stuff left out, its whatever we're doing, like laundry, cooking, or organizing etc.

basically doing anything to hinder the process is bad, as a buyer, I may have set up 3 or 4 appts a few days in advance, but then on the day of asked the RE agent about a house, or maybe it was the RE saw a house with another buyer that would be "perfect" for us, and on the day of will call to see if she can get a showing. Either or, my view was always if someone was serious enough to call a RE agent to have them show the house, I'm willing to accomodate the showing.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
Last personal home I sold, I moved out and left the house with some furniture "staged.". I find living in a house on the market a modern day form of torture. It worked out so well for me that I plan on doing that again next time...... Understand most peeps don't have that option.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:18 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,323 times
I've been in some condo complexes, where agents will try to show every unit available. They will place the call, as they get the key out of the lock box................People who surprise others, are usually the ones that get surprised. If no one is home--go for it, otherwise 30-60 minutes should be OK. You don't want to let them get away. Buyers have flights to catch, etc. It does seem like since they have been being dishonest about the multiple offers, that they aren't leaving their business cards on the counter, like they used to always do, and I used that as a gauge of interest.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLJohnson View Post
What is the latest time of the day you should allow for a showing? We have had our house on the market for 2 weeks now, and I had a Realtor ask to show my home at 5:15 pm. I agreed. I have two large dogs which I took to the park just before the scheduled time. I returned 30 minutes later, and found them to still be at my house, so I went to one of my neighbor's homes and visited for another 30 minutes. I figured they had had an hour they should be done...
I think you should expect most showings to be about 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. but should definitely be available for appointments as late as 7 p.m. with reasonable advance notice (prior day). On rare occasions you may have to show it earlier or later, and your chances of selling are harmed if you aren't to some degree flexible.

I think an hour is the maximum reasonable showing time without some definite indication of seriousness. My policy is that I want to be absent when my house is being shown. (I have a lock box.) I'm retired so I just have to go somewhere and cool it during the showing. If they've spent a full hour at my house I would probably return, put my dog in the back yard, and just be present but inconspicuous until they leave. Who knows, maybe they aren't legitimate and might be up to mischief. I don't see how somebody can't see all they need to see in one hour, and if they're that serious they should wait a bit and then schedule a second showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Last personal home I sold, I moved out and left the house with some furniture "staged.". I find living in a house on the market a modern day form of torture. It worked out so well for me that I plan on doing that again next time...... Understand most peeps don't have that option.
That's ideal! I wish I could do that but I can't afford it. You're right, selling a house is like living in a fish bowl. You get to choose between privacy or selling your house, but not both!

To the OP:

My philosophy is that selling your house is a good time to get anal-compulsive about cleanliness. When I get up in the morning I make my bed first thing. When I have dinner I wash the pots and dishes and put them away immediately after. When I feed the dog I clean and put away his dish after he's eaten. I've put away or boxed the majority of my personal items; there is very very little clutter out even when I'm at home. When I leave I take my dog with me (after putting away his water dish). (Lucky me I'm retired and don't need to take Bowser to work!) My plan is to keep my house within 15 minutes of show off perfect every day during business hours.

Anything less than 15 minutes is unreasonable. An hour is reasonable. A next day appointment would be seriously appreciated. However, as almost everybody said, if you want to sell your house you have to show it when prospective buyers want to see it. Only you can put a number on it but you had better be pretty pronto on getting it ready to show to buyers.

Last edited by Lovehound; 02-19-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 01:38 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
Oh, another thing I do recall that happened to me a couple of times when my property was the "last on the list" was the RE agent and buyers hanging around for a long, long time as I kept driving around the block waiting to put my sleepy baby to bed. I later learned they were having an end of the day review conversation at my house for over an hour following the showing on my property. So I did learn to make sure the buyer's agent was aware that I needed to return to my home b/c kids, dogs, etc. and I always would request any non-related (to my house) conversations occur off my property. When agents get busy, if they don't know your schedule, they this could happen. So if the showing time butts into your need to be back in the house, just politely make them aware and they will be very respectful of your needs. I have never met a RE agent who treated my property or my time casually. But you do have to communicate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate