Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:16 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times

Advertisements

When you still live in your house, what is a reasonable time for a realtor to give you to show it? I know it's best to be ready at anytime, but I'd like at least an hour warning to tidy up and get the dogs out. The other day a realtor called and wanted to show it immediately. Unfortunately, I was on my way out to a doctor's appointment and the house needed to be straightened up. They were going to drive-by and come look at it in the AM. It turns out they weren't able to make it in the AM, but the house was ready. Hopefully, they can come back some other time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:33 PM

183 posts, read 686,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
When you still live in your house, what is a reasonable time for a realtor to give you to show it? I know it's best to be ready at anytime, but I'd like at least an hour warning to tidy up and get the dogs out. The other day a realtor called and wanted to show it immediately. Unfortunately, I was on my way out to a doctor's appointment and the house needed to be straightened up. They were going to drive-by and come look at it in the AM. It turns out they weren't able to make it in the AM, but the house was ready. Hopefully, they can come back some other time.

If someone wants to see it, you show it, regardless of "warning". In this market you should allow it to be seen, no matter what (within reason of course)

Old 11-27-2008, 08:54 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
I never left my house unless it was in show condition. Do you have a lock box?

Old 11-27-2008, 09:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
You can ask for an hour - half hour is better. If they have to come back the next day, then you should understand that most times, they won't, as there are so many other houses that are easily seen. Plus, if they're in from out of town just to view houses, their schedule may not allow it.

It helps if you have a 15-minute quick clean-up routine in place where you can just swoop through the place and straighten up. Plus, 15 minutes before you go to bed at night, another quick 15 minutes before you leave the house in the morning, helps take some of the insanity out of having your house available constantly for showings.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:32 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I never left my house unless it was in show condition. Do you have a lock box?
I don't have a lock box. Reason being, I'm home most of the time and also we have dogs. They say how important it is to get them out of the house. They wouldn't hurt anyone, but some ppl don't like dogs. I have a list of things to do before ppl come over. Some of the stuff includes taking items off the counters (toaster,can opener, dish rack) pick up dog bowls, put litter box away, turn lights on, light scented oil, etc. I just like everything to be spotless. Is it better to just show it if these things aren't done and the ppl want to see it immediately?

Old 11-27-2008, 10:29 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,305 times
Quote:
I just like everything to be spotless. Is it better to just show it if these things aren't done and the ppl want to see it immediately?
As stringbean said, in this market, show it regardless. I probably wouldn't reschedule to see the house unless it is at the very top of my list to see. I would move on to houses that can be seen and leave it at that. From a potential buyers perspective, I'd rather the seller let me see the house "as-is" if I need to see it immediately for some reason than try to clean it to perfection, but that is just me. In a time crunch I am willing to overlook a dishtowel or can opener... I mean, if I like the house, these small details are not going to be a deal breaker for me. And chances are, if I like it, I will come back to look again before making a FINAL decision. So that means there is always a second chance to dazzle me with clean counters :-)

Old 11-27-2008, 11:12 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
I understand completely about wanting your place to be spotless. I feel the same way. Unfortunately, it seems like many folks these days are not giving the agents enough time to set up appointments. I've had an agent standing outside my condo on his cellphone with my agent asking if they can come up. (I'm in a vacation-home market but if you're in FL, you might be in a similar situation.) I did give people some leeway because I knew they were here on vacation, so I would sometimes try to accommodate them in 15 or 20 minutes. After awhile and many showings with no offers, I realized these people were just "lookie-loos". If they didn't take the time to set up appointments, they weren't serious buyers. (I eventually took the listing off the market until the spring.)

But anyway, I did try to keep mostly everything put away so I wouldn't have too much to do if I had a last-minute showing. I kept only the bare necessities out on the counter. I kept all photos out-of-sight. I also got used to the pattern -- most of these last-minute showings were on Fridays, Saturdays or Mondays -- so I was on "high alert" those particular days.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:37 AM

620 posts, read 1,950,910 times
We just sold our house and I have to agree SHOW it if they call. In our price range , our agent did say that usually there would be at least a day's notice, but in reality that did not happen. One time, we had a call for a showing within 20 minutes. I allowed it, but the house was already in show condition. We NEVER left the house without it being ready to show. Also, I ALWAYS got up early to take a shower and make things ready to go by 9:00.

Now, as a buyer... we just bought a house that when we saw it, it was NOT in "perfect show" condition. The seller had clothes laying beside the bed and the bed not made. There were bills laying on the counter, etc. We were there to see the HOUSE not his stuff,but guess what....We got past that and actually made an offer on that house. This was in a higher price range too.

Serious buyers can look past the "every day" living stuff if they are really interested in the house itself. I think that an hour before showings is reasonable...but just be prepared for ANYTHING if you want your HOUSE to sell!

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:54 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I don't have a lock box. Reason being, I'm home most of the time and also we have dogs. They say how important it is to get them out of the house. They wouldn't hurt anyone, but some ppl don't like dogs. I have a list of things to do before ppl come over. Some of the stuff includes taking items off the counters (toaster,can opener, dish rack) pick up dog bowls, put litter box away, turn lights on, light scented oil, etc. I just like everything to be spotless. Is it better to just show it if these things aren't done and the ppl want to see it immediately?
Beckycat: go get a lockbox. when you leave the house put the dogs away (in garage, in crate, in backyard.... somewhere).

Keep you items off the counter as a rule and only take out to use and immediately put away again. Now you don't have to worry that they are out.

Dog bowls are put away after they eat, except water or kept in the garage. keep kitty litter VERY CLEAN so if it is out at least it doesn't stink. When you leave the house, do your 15 min. of spiffy... including turning on "key" lights. Keep it that way and you are always ready!!!!

Don't miss a showing. When an agent calls (or anyone for that matter), you may not get a second chance. Take it when you can get it.

shelly

Old 11-28-2008, 10:20 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Really good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You can ask for an hour - half hour is better. If they have to come back the next day, then you should understand that most times, they won't, as there are so many other houses that are easily seen. Plus, if they're in from out of town just to view houses, their schedule may not allow it.

It helps if you have a 15-minute quick clean-up routine in place where you can just swoop through the place and straighten up. Plus, 15 minutes before you go to bed at night, another quick 15 minutes before you leave the house in the morning, helps take some of the insanity out of having your house available constantly for showings.
The basic idea of wanted to make the place "perfect" is not bad, but the reality is that there are more than a few reasons that people don't want to wait an hour to see a place. You want EXPOSURE and if that means being ready-to-show in 15 minutes...

To help get to the point where you can r-t-g in 15 minutes it helps to CLEAR AWAY alot of stuff. If you have "stuff" all boxed up and stored it can't get left out -- this goes for the kids toys/clothes, your magazines hobby stuff, pet supplies, extra kitchen stuff et cetera. A tip for the kitchen stuff: clean out one cabinet and AFTER EACH USE shove the toaster, can opener, dish rack in there-- far less hassle)

I can tell you that places that look r-t-g in 15 minutes ALMOST ALWAYS show better than place that take an hour to get 'perfect'. People want to be impressed by how "easy living" a home can be and they know they will not live with scented oil and flower arrangements, but a place that looks TIDY, smells CLEAN, shows off the houses BEST FEATURES will get offers!

(btw -- good idea on taking the dogs for a walk/ride, some people get all creepy about dogs. You can't predict who, but some people just cannot see past any kind of previous pet having lived in the place.)

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate