Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 PM

146 posts, read 294,875 times

Advertisements

Here's the situation: our home has been on the market for one month. We've had 35 showings. We've had wonderful feedback on the home, just that a certain element does not work for the potential buyer. There's always been just one thing wrong for the potential buyer (stairs, needing one more bedroom, needing more open yard space, too many trees/too much shade, no place to put a swimming pool, needing a garage, etc, etc) - but the one negative has always come with tons of positive comments. Examples of the comments include things like "nicest home I've seen in years", "lovingly maintained home", "excellent upgrades", "my clients love, love, love this home but....(fill in blank)", "stunning home", "this is an amazing house", etc.

Here's my question: do real estate professionals just put in positive comments to be nice? Are they trying to "let me down easy"? Are they honest with the feedback? Does it serve a useful purpose? No one has commented on pricing - would they comment if they thought the home was overpriced?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should lower price of home. I understand 35 showings is a lot - but I also understand that most homes sell with this many showings! Or, I'm reading into all the positive comments that maybe it's a nice home (I think it is, but remember it's mine) and there might be someone out there who doesn't need/want a swimming pool, garage, yard, fewer trees, etc)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:30 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
I usually only give feedback on homes that have a fixable problem. Most homes that show well, it's just not the right home or it's overpriced. If I have a buyer who loves the house I give no feedback if we are going to make an offer. I don't want to hurt their position as if they had to have the home.

This is a strange market. Buyers are mostly looking for deals and you might be overpriced. After 35 showings and good feedback you've not received an offer.

You and your agent need to look at your competition and maybe consider a price adjustment.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I usually only give feedback on homes that have a fixable problem. Most homes that show well, it's just not the right home or it's overpriced. If I have a buyer who loves the house I give no feedback if we are going to make an offer. I don't want to hurt their position as if they had to have the home.

This is a strange market. Buyers are mostly looking for deals and you might be overpriced. After 35 showings and good feedback you've not received an offer.

You and your agent need to look at your competition and maybe consider a price adjustment.
Totally agree

Old 07-12-2012, 02:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
35 showings and no offers? If that were my listing in Raleigh, NC, I'd have to say the only thing that needs to be done is lower the price.

By the way, 35 showings in 30 days is AMAZING. I've never had that in all the years I've been selling Real Estate!

Best of luck!

Vicki

Old 07-12-2012, 02:11 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar View Post
I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should lower price of home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Most homes that show well, it's just not the right home or it's overpriced.
Nearly everything will be overpriced before labor Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar
I understand 35 showings is a lot - but...
but (as regards the "not the right home" concern) that is a LOT of people and agents
to have misread the details as shown in the pictures or described in the listing
relative to the needs/desires of the presumably qualified lookers.

If not a single one has come back to you with even a single offer of any sort...
well, that leads me to think that something else is going on beyond price.
I'd say that you really do need to question the basic assumptions.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Good point MrRational. That many showing and no offer is hard to imagine price is the only issue. Assuming there are decent pictures up for the place and people know the price before they go and see it that seems like a heck of a lot of showings to get zero offers.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
THe agents who showed my house had no trouble giving negative feedback. In fact, all I got were comments like "it's a beautiful house but".

Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
What does your agent have to say?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 PM

146 posts, read 294,875 times
OP here. I really appreciate all this helpful feedback and advice. Thanks to all of you!

I didn't address offers in my original post. Yes, we've had 3 offers, all in the first week. The first offer was from someone out-of-state. She hadn't even seen the house in person, but made the offer sight unseen, by way of a local agent, just from what she saw on internet. This was a decent offer (in hindsight) but we didn't accept because the house had only been on market 2 days. Two more offers came in that week, both about $50,000 under our asking price. Again, because the house had just been listed, we didn't feel the need to jump at these offers. All these buyers were looking at other properties and must have gone with their other choices.

Another factor contributing to large number of showings - at least 4 of these have been second showings. One more interesting thing - some showings have been scheduled for 2 hours. Needless to say, I haven't been home much!

I haven't talked with my agent yet - I'm doing that on Monday. I ended up here because I was doing some searches to get as much front line info myself, specifically about # of showings (because all my friends seemed amazed at the number of showings, I thought this was normal).

Several questions that haven't been answered. Do agents just give positive feedback to make sellers (and other agents) feel good? Would feedback include thoughts about home being overpriced for market?

Thanks, again!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,685 times
From a different perspective. I used to be a agent. That many shows tends to tell me price might not be the problem. I would look at how the neighborhood looks. Something is turning the potenial buyers off that they dont want to admit in writing. It could just be a vibe they get or as little as the way a neighbors yard looks. With that
many showings your listing must look apealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate