Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
There is website called Blockshopper, it's only for specific areas of the country, but they do provide good information.
Blockshopper.com is a good site!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
The reason why I'm doing this without a realtor is because A) I'm not looking to sell immediately, so I'm just trying to "ball park it" for now, ....
I've been going to open houses in my area to get a feel for what my house will sell for (I too will not be selling for a few months). I first started by going to ones listed at a price that I thought my house will sell for. Boy was I surprised - I'm not blind to the faults of my house but I soon discovered the price I had in mind was waaaay too low.

It is quite an eye opener when you look at houses listed in the guides then see them for real. They are quite often not at all what you would think from reading the listing or even looking at the pictures.

You may also want to play with figuring out cost per square foot. I do see where having a condo in an area of houses would be a challenge for comps.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:47 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Do remember, when going to open houses to get a feel for what your house will sell for, that list price is not always sales price (could be much lower, could be much higher). Active homes are only a part of the equation when doing comps to determine what a house is likely to sell for - you also need to look at solds and, just as important, what houses that didn't sell were listed for and for how long.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Very good points. I think you touched on one thing, in that I feel that I have 95% of the power to access this info on my own, it will just take me longer. And, I don't want to waste someone's time by making them do hours of work for me when I know that I won't be selling my home immediately.

I actually spent my lunch hour searching for a few places for sale and individually looking up the last sales price for them and the surrounding similar homes. I'm sure a realtor could have done it a lot faster/easier, but I do like doing it on my own so that I know exactly what I'm looking at instead of someone reading off #'s to me over the phone.

Thanks again!
You have a great attitude about this. You can get a ton of information ON YOUR OWN if you just dig hard enough for it......

Have you thought about trying city hall for the various towns? I believe you can get information there also on sold listings...

You can also google various blogs around the country. I have a specific site I visit frequently, and when I want to know the history of a home in say the LI/NJ area, I'll ask a person on the site w/realtor credentials to look it up for me!!! So simple!

Old 12-12-2008, 10:23 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
It would only take me about a minute to deliver a list of sold properties in my county and I could filter anything to suit your needs. I'm sure most professional real estate agents would be happy to provide this kind of information. Heck, ask a dozen of them in your area to provide the information, you'll probably know who you want to deal with when the time is right for you.

If you had asked for this information in my area 3 months ago, you might now have some fairly useless information now as prices have come down quite a bit. Beware of getting information today and applying it in the future.

Good luck to you in any case.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:46 AM

1,099 posts, read 901,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
There is website called Blockshopper, it's only for specific areas of the country, but they do provide good information.
THANK YOU!! That is an awesome site. I just looked up some info in my city and that was really something. And very easy to navigate. That's one of the best tips on the board. I just bookmarked it.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:06 AM

953 posts, read 843,067 times
Quote:
How do I find a list online of properties that have recently sold in my area? Is there a national website (like realtor.com)?
What is your area of interest?

Take a look at the link below ... you may find it helpful.

P.S. I should have noticed that this thread was started in 2008 ... but it still may be of use to others.

http://www.realtor.com/soldhomeprices/Great-Neck_NY

Last edited by Aura 524; 04-13-2016 at 04:47 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 04:33 AM

953 posts, read 843,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Realtor.com is for marketing homes, and not for offering records.
Wouldn't this be a decent way to start by using realtor.com?

Great Neck Sold Home Prices - Great Neck, NY Recently Sold Real Estate - realtor.com®

Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Our local newspaper publishes what homes sold for in our area.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate