Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Bad economic times, recession could lead to day traders and housing market bottom feeders sinking, property investments, mortgage woes, existing home sales and real estate data

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 AM

345 posts, read 466,999 times

Advertisements

Why do I get this gut feeling that tells me that trying to time the housing bottom is a zero sum game like trying to market time financial portfolio investments? Will the housing market bottom feeders and the day traders shorting stocks ultimately wind up sinking in the same leaky boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
My understanding is that real estate bottoms tend to stay put for a while, so it's easier to spot them than market bottoms, which turn on a dime.

There's an awful lot of downward pressure out there-- the bubble hasn't deflated yet in all areas. They tend to overshoot on the downside. And now we're in a severe recession that could be a mini or regular depression, which by itself would force prices down further. When interest rates are no longer at "record lows" and the government no longer offers a $15k carrot for home buyers, that will pull out the final supports.

So.....I'd say (in most neighborhoods) the risks of buying in too soon outweigh the risks of missing the very exact precise moment of "bottom."

Old 02-09-2009, 01:22 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
My understanding is that real estate bottoms tend to stay put for a while, so it's easier to spot them than market bottoms, which turn on a dime.

There's an awful lot of downward pressure out there-- the bubble hasn't deflated yet in all areas. They tend to overshoot on the downside. And now we're in a severe recession that could be a mini or regular depression, which by itself would force prices down further. When interest rates are no longer at "record lows" and the government no longer offers a $15k carrot for home buyers, that will pull out the final supports.

So.....I'd say (in most neighborhoods) the risks of buying in too soon outweigh the risks of missing the very exact precise moment of "bottom."
Agreed. I truly do not think we're close to a bottom yet - anywhere.

We might see a slight "dead cat bounce" (aka the classic "bull trap" when people miscalculate calling the bottom) in the Spring.

But I don't think the bottom is in sight yet.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Just curious, does anyone here think that a "bottom" is possible with high (10+ months) inventory levels?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Just curious, does anyone here think that a "bottom" is possible with high (10+ months) inventory levels?
Is there a place to see or calculate inventory levels for specific areas?
Or even national levels?

I think levels are actually MUCH higher than that nationally. I noticed tons of properties coming off the market around the holidays. If any of those people really want to sell then I bet those properties will pop back up in the Spring on top of the already expected spring crop. I just wish Spring would get here already.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,650 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...evictions.html

I can only assume from the above that there is a mountain of foreclosed property that hasn't even hit the market yet.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Is there a place to see or calculate inventory levels for specific areas?
Or even national levels?
Your county or area probably has a site like this that has the market statistics. Google your county (or state) + realtors board of association.
Site wcbr.net

Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
And nationally, you can look at the NAR's monthly press releases for new and used house sales :

Real Estate Data, Statistics, Demographics, & Trends: NAR Current News

For example, the most recent one for December sales : Existing-Home Sales Show Strong Gain In December (http://www.realtor.org/wps/wcm/connect/RO-Content/ro/press_room/news_releases/2009/01/ehs_shows_strong_gain - broken link)

Ignore the obvious spin and repeated calls for of a bottom, and look for the actual numbers. There's 9.3 months of used houses on the market now. New houses are similar, plus they're much fewer in numbers so they don't move the overall average that far.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:38 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
You know, all this "real estate bottom" stuff puzzles me. If a person wants to sell a house and has to take less than they thought they would, then that person buys a new house for less than that seller thought they would get, what's the big worry? It's totally relative! In this market housing is down almost all over...and when things lift they will lift all over. I don't get this "wait until it reaches bottom" idea because, first of all how do you know when it's at bottom? And why not buy when you want, what you want, and just be happy when things do lift again? Which they will.

I plan to list my house this week for about $50K less than I could have gotten three years ago...but I also know that I can buy a new house where I am moving to for that much less as well. It seems silly to wait and lose time...at least to me. Of course not everyone is in my situation (I have no mortgage to pay off), but I just don't get the waiting thing.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:31 PM

394 posts, read 1,049,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
You know, all this "real estate bottom" stuff puzzles me. If a person wants to sell a house and has to take less than they thought they would, then that person buys a new house for less than that seller thought they would get, what's the big worry? It's totally relative! In this market housing is down almost all over...and when things lift they will lift all over. I don't get this "wait until it reaches bottom" idea because, first of all how do you know when it's at bottom? And why not buy when you want, what you want, and just be happy when things do lift again? Which they will.

I plan to list my house this week for about $50K less than I could have gotten three years ago...but I also know that I can buy a new house where I am moving to for that much less as well. It seems silly to wait and lose time...at least to me. Of course not everyone is in my situation (I have no mortgage to pay off), but I just don't get the waiting thing.

That's my same question. What does it matter if you buy now and then home values decrease slightly after that? Other than you might be kicking yourself because you "paid too much for that muffler". If you intend to stay in your home for a number of years and you are able to get a good interest rate and fair price from the seller - why wait? Are people waiting to see if more desirable inventory comes on the market? Are they looking only at properties as investments? I really am wondering - buyers, if you can enlighten me by explaining your reasons for waiting I would appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate