Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:15 PM

43,326 posts, read 77,188,470 times

Advertisements

I always figgered that "Ready, Willing, And Able" was more productive for a buyer than "Ready For Litigation."

But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 06:05 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,900,866 times
Quote:
"in this market, there is no excuse for this behavior other than discrimination. if they were not interested in selling, what idiot would list a property in this market just for fun?"
I can show your attorney plenty.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 PM

706 posts, read 3,765,126 times
Shucks who can "afford" to discrminate in this market?

I'd be surprised...

The one thing more important than race in this society is $$$

Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,278,169 times
Listen, as a recent seller, I wouldn't care if the buyer was a horse as long as they had the money honey..if they are racist, they are leaving, so what. No problem for them..I am guessing that they were offended by your lowball..they should have had the common courtesy and their agent to respond, there is a place on the contract that states no counter offered. Period..move on...this world is so diverse, I think you need to just accept that they most likely didn't like the offer, probably don't HAVE to sell aka give it away..they may be delusional..who cares, their problem..Move on!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 PM

237 posts, read 1,060,217 times
Discrimination exists, but I don't see it here. The seller did counter and offered the home for 20K less than listing, if I remember your post correctly. If they were racist, they wouldn't counter at all, because they wouldn't want you living in their neighborhood full price or not. I hate it when people cry discrimination over everything. It discredits the folks who have real discrimination cases. Heck, if I were a seller and this is the kind of person that wants to buy my home, I wouldn't sell it even for 1% less than listing. I wouldn't do that to my neighbors. If you're going to make an offer that may insult a seller, just be prepared to get a reaction that might insult you. Don't whine about it. Move on.

I have no problem with people lowballing, but don't do it and then blame the seller. There are folks who go from home to home lowballing, hoping to get a great deal. I see no problem with that. To them, a house is just that. To the seller it's their home with a lot of memories. If you're gonna lowball, just learn how to move on until you find someone desperate enough to sell it for the price you want. Don't assume everyone NEEDS to sell in this so called buyer's market.

It's not just people who HAVE to sell their homes that have their homes up for sale. Why would I sell in a down market? I bought another home and don't really want the hassle of keeping up 2 homes. If I can sell it at a price I'm happy with, I will. If a nice buyer comes along, I may even sell for low just because it makes me happy to leave my neighbors with good new neighbors and I want the new buyers to get the same happiness out of my home as I have. If I can't sell it, I'll install security camaras and winterize it to keep the home secure. I'll still be alright. Selling to a buyer with jerk like qualities would irritate me. I'd rather keep the house.

You know, there are nice ways of lowballing... how about submitting a lowball price, let the sellers know you understand it's low, but that you really like the home and that you just can't go any higher. Offer it up to the seller that if in the future, they are willing to take the low price, that you may still be interested. You never know, the seller might just call you back in a couple of weeks. Maybe you've moved on already, but maybe not.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
[quote=ready2sue;7976146

If they were not interested in selling, what idiot would list a property in this market just for fun?" [/quote]

No doubt they are interested in selling at $279K at terms agreeable to them. Beyond that nothing is certain.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2sue View Post

..... in addition to me being asian, i am also gay. that's two strikes against me.
How would they know your sexual orientation, assuming they cared?

Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,592,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboo View Post
Discrimination exists, but I don't see it here. The seller did counter and offered the home for 20K less than listing, if I remember your post correctly. If they were racist, they wouldn't counter at all, because they wouldn't want you living in their neighborhood full price or not. I hate it when people cry discrimination over everything. It discredits the folks who have real discrimination cases. Heck, if I were a seller and this is the kind of person that wants to buy my home, I wouldn't sell it even for 1% less than listing. I wouldn't do that to my neighbors. If you're going to make an offer that may insult a seller, just be prepared to get a reaction that might insult you. Don't whine about it. Move on.

I have no problem with people lowballing, but don't do it and then blame the seller. There are folks who go from home to home lowballing, hoping to get a great deal. I see no problem with that. To them, a house is just that. To the seller it's their home with a lot of memories. If you're gonna lowball, just learn how to move on until you find someone desperate enough to sell it for the price you want. Don't assume everyone NEEDS to sell in this so called buyer's market.

It's not just people who HAVE to sell their homes that have their homes up for sale. Why would I sell in a down market? I bought another home and don't really want the hassle of keeping up 2 homes. If I can sell it at a price I'm happy with, I will. If a nice buyer comes along, I may even sell for low just because it makes me happy to leave my neighbors with good new neighbors and I want the new buyers to get the same happiness out of my home as I have. If I can't sell it, I'll install security camaras and winterize it to keep the home secure. I'll still be alright. Selling to a buyer with jerk like qualities would irritate me. I'd rather keep the house.

You know, there are nice ways of lowballing... how about submitting a lowball price, let the sellers know you understand it's low, but that you really like the home and that you just can't go any higher. Offer it up to the seller that if in the future, they are willing to take the low price, that you may still be interested. You never know, the seller might just call you back in a couple of weeks. Maybe you've moved on already, but maybe not.
Snaps and reps for Cigarboo...

Old 03-21-2009, 11:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,431,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboo View Post
Discrimination exists, but I don't see it here. The seller did counter and offered the home for 20K less than listing, if I remember your post correctly. If they were racist, they wouldn't counter at all, because they wouldn't want you living in their neighborhood full price or not. I hate it when people cry discrimination over everything. It discredits the folks who have real discrimination cases.
Bingo! I, too, hate it when people cry discrimination (of whatever kind) and use it as an excuse for everything that doesn't go the way they want in life. It makes it so much harder for folks who are suffering from real discrimination.

Also, how on earth would the sellers know if the buyer was Asian or gay? That's not in the paperwork for making an offer.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,911 times
Repeat after me: YOUR SELLER does not want to sell at a fair price. Trust me, there are a lot of sellers out there still in La La Land. Move on to the next property and don't waste time or energy on lawyers.

There are too many good deals out there right now to waste time on sellers who think their house is special, who "love" their home (CIGARBOO), who don't want to sell to jerks, who are picky (CIGARBOO), who will hang on to their price until someone pries it from their cold dead fingers, etc.

Are you kidding me? Waste time on litigation when you can get a house for next to nothing?

The minute I encounter a seller like this, I say NEXT, not SUE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate