Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 04:51 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
Ahhh, where were you around the Chicago market? Here, in our suburbs, every and all buyer would see granite and instantly become stupid. They would choose the granite every time, even when the other home was bigger and had more updates, with the opinionated mistake to put corian instead of granite in the kitchen re-do. How do I know? It happened, too many times to count, when we were on the market last year! Smae neighborhood, same builder, some homes bigger than others, and yet the smaller ones with no den to boot, would sell befoe the bigger ones with no granite, for same or MORE money if the kitchen had "GRANITE"!
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a hard time believing FMV personally tracked down these buyers after the sale, talked to them one on one, and was informed these buyers made their decision based soley on granite.

But then again, people in denial say the craziest things sometimes, don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a hard time believing FMV personally tracked down these buyers after the sale, talked to them one on one, and was informed these buyers made their decision based soley on granite.

It's called feedback your agent gets from the buyer's agent.

No need to be nasty. Sheesh.

Last edited by MsFancyPants; 04-07-2009 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 04:57 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Question NJ: Why not? When you buy are you going to stay there forever? If so, then it shouldn't matter what it's "worth," cause you're not selling anyway. Secondly, if you're not going to stay there forever, then stable or flat is bad too. You could've rented and probably saved yourself a lot of money in maintenance and costs, no?

I don't understand why anyone would buy a house if they don't expect it to appreciate.
Owning. Tax deduction, overtime build equity, and ability to tweak to my desires. Appreciation I figure will come OVER TIME. Not in a rush to flip it etc...

ANd surely will sell it eventually. Maybe as part of retirement and downsize but that is out in the future. And in that time it will surely appreciate.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:01 PM

945 posts, read 1,988,634 times
Quote:

I am always amazed at the gun fire! Coastie, it's called feedback! And we were listed with an agent who would call until she got through to get it. Also, we watched and went to several open houses of our competitors. I am telling you, it's fact, as some feedback blatantly informed us they didn't like the corian and preferred the granite! Anyone out there care to back me up here? I didn't just pull this out of my a$$. We made it to several buyers "short lists" and were told of our competition, and all of those homes that were purchased when ours was being considered, had granite. As a matter of fact, towards the end of '08, after we had already sold and closed, homeowners/sellers were helping granite suppliers make quite a good living. It was the main feature listed when a home was described- NEW GRANITE KITCHEN!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Owning. A status symbol, you mean? I'm not sure why just "owning" is a reason to own. Not trying to be flip. Tax deduction. Being phased out as we speak. Over time build equity. Wouldn't you be doing that by banking the difference between rent and mortgage payments and maintenance and taxes and HOA fees? Tweak to your desires? Okay. That I can understand. Although, those tweaks in a market that you'll be happy with flat or stagnant will eat into your "equity down the road." Appreciation over time will only come if the market appreciates, not if it stays stagnant or flat. Ask the retirees right now how "surely" they are about that! LOL!

I'm only asking these questions b/c it seems like if I thought the way you did, I wouldn't buy. I'd stay renting.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
I am always amazed at the gun fire! Coastie, it's called feedback! And we were listed with an agent who would call until she got through to get it. Also, we watched and went to several open houses of our competitors. I am telling you, it's fact, as some feedback blatantly informed us they didn't like the corian and preferred the granite! Anyone out there care to back me up here? I didn't just pull this out of my a$$. We made it to several buyers "short lists" and were told of our competition, and all of those homes that were purchased when ours was being considered, had granite. As a matter of fact, towards the end of '08, after we had already sold and closed, homeowners/sellers were helping granite suppliers make quite a good living. It was the main feature listed when a home was described- NEW GRANITE KITCHEN!
One only needs to read the "Granite is so yesterday," thread to get at exactly what you're saying FMV.

I specifically put in granite in 2003 b/c we wanted that "wow" factor. We got it. Our house was on the market less than two weeks. Prior to that, we had had it listed with very little activity. Took it off, did some upgrades, put it back on and got back our investment 124%. We had to live through it, but we actually got 24% higher than every single penny we put into that kitchen. The majority of the cost was the granite. We had a huge island with lots of countertop space.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:07 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
It's called feedback your agent gets from the seller's agent.

No need to be nasty. Sheesh.
Hey, I don't disagree that granite may have been a factor in the buying decision, but not the only factor, as FMV states. I'm not being nasty. I just think it's hilarious how FMV can read people's minds like an open book and then post their thoughts here as "fact" whenever it suits his him.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:08 PM

764 posts, read 1,598,376 times
Quote:

Sad but true. Forgive them for they do not know what they are saying or doing. We all know the type.

Remember birds of feather flock together......but I really do appreciate the ' 'entertainment' value of the postings by FMV, MsFancyPants and their ilk ...

Old 04-07-2009, 05:10 PM

I don't think he's reading people's minds. He gets feedback from their agents. I believe it b/c I too got that feedback. I had a huge kitchen with tons of countertop space and a huge island. My feedback was People want granite. I put in granite. I sold my house. Pretty cut and dried to me.

As a buyer, I wanted granite too when I bought my next house. It's durable, beautiful, and considered an "upgrade."

Sorry if you weren't being nasty, but your post sounded that way.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
Sad but true. Forgive them for they do not know what they are saying or doing. We all know the type.

Remember birds of feather flock together......but I really do appreciate the ' 'entertainment' value of the postings by FMV, MsFancyPants and their ilk ...
You really should ask your mom if it's okay to be on the computer this late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate