Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 AM

764 posts, read 1,598,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
[/b]

LOL...that's funny. I just purchased and will be waiting at least
10 years or for the next sellers market to make a move.

I don't have any trepidation that my new home will sell. It has features others don't and an excellent floor plan!

Thanks

You are good to go for your particular situation. And that's the bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:59 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
Hard questions? Where? Did I miss something? Serve one up if you can.

I only see insinuations...and I quote....You had stated previously that you owned homes before and it seems odd that you went from that back to renting...something seems to be missing with your story to account for your apparent bitterness....

Remember what they say about making assumptions....

Them red herrings are starting to lose their effectiveness....
I suggest you look up the meaning of assumptions as it was something the OP stated in print here

I think I made a valid point! It's a red herring that I sense something missing from the story to account for the OP's bitterness?...uh yeah, look up read herrings too while you're at it.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,387 times
Quote:
You had stated previously that you owned homes before and it seems odd that you went from that back to renting...something seems to be missing with your story to account for your apparent bitterness.
I owned a home from 2002-2006, 2006-2008, and now rent. I rent because of a relocation and have yet to find a new house to buy. No idea where you are getting this bitterness from? Laughing at realtor terms like motivated seller and suggesting it is full of it is NOT bitter.

Quote:
You are obviously looking to lowball and the fact that the house you put an offer on sold at a much higher price speaks volumes.
What a second. A house listed for $429k was on market. Dropped to $399k and I noticed it. Dropped to $389k and I made an offer on it at $335k (as a feeler and I knew it was worth more fair market wise) They came back at $370k and would not budge. I came up to $355k and felt that was the top I was comfortable with for that house. Then 3 months later they dropped the price again to $369,900. And sold a few weeks later for $369,000. Is my $355k offer REALLY considered a low ball offer? Are you serious? Where does that speak volumes? I think the people who paid $369k overpaid. If they can afford it and are happy good for them. In a year if they had to sell they will be getting at best $330k. I knew that going in and hence set a top for me that I was willing to risk with that vision and it was 3-4% off actual selling price.

Quote:
I don't have alot of sympathy for you.
Did I ask for your sympathy? Nope... Just checking...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why does the seller care what you think if you're not really willing to negotiate a fair price?
Where have I said or came off as not willing to negotiate a fair price?
Or are you referring to their 2006 mindset, watching their neighbor sell his house for $400k and has yet to came to reality that their house is worth only $300k today? Cause you are right I won't PAY 2006 peak prices and no one else is either. That is why those houses are sitting and sitting.

I will pair a FAIR (today) market value for a house. No problems AT ALL with it assuming I like the house and location. That doesn't mean what they are asking even COMES CLOSE to that most of the time.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
What exactly did you learn in RE class? They obviously didn't have a block of instruction on basic economics or the definition of value.

Care to quantify the following statements with emphirical data:
The bottom has been predicted many, many times.
I must have been asleep at the wheel so please enlighten us.

But there are indicatiors out there....That things are going to turn around...second half 09.....
How about a link? The second half is right around the corner and I need to be prepared.

I'd rather pay a higher interest rate tomorrow than overpay today. It's as simple as that.

Don't try to catch a falling knife...(with apologies to fk)
Perhaps in your zeal to engage in battle, you missed the post wherein I plainly stated that I have no interest in fighting with strangers on the internet. But for others who are concerned that I know not of which I speak, I also have an undergraduate degree in business, as well as a real estate license, and I have been quite successful in spec real estate buying/selling for 8 years. I have nothing to prove to bottom feeders. But thanks for your interest. And good luck to you in your search.

Oh, perhaps you can school me in one regard. What is "emphirical"? I am not familiar with that word.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I owned a home from 2002-2006, 2006-2008, and now rent. I rent because of a relocation and have yet to find a new house to buy. No idea where you are getting this bitterness from? Laughing at realtor terms like motivated seller and suggesting it is full of it is NOT bitter.

What a second. A house listed for $429k was on market. Dropped to $399k and I noticed it. Dropped to $389k and I made an offer on it at $335k (as a feeler and I knew it was worth more fair market wise) They came back at $370k and would not budge. I came up to $355k and felt that was the top I was comfortable with for that house. Then 3 months later they dropped the price again to $369,900. And sold a few weeks later for $369,000. Is my $355k offer REALLY considered a low ball offer? Are you serious? Where does that speak volumes? I think the people who paid $369k overpaid. If they can afford it and are happy good for them. In a year if they had to sell they will be getting at best $330k. I knew that going in and hence set a top for me that I was willing to risk with that vision and it was 3-4% off actual selling price.

Did I ask for your sympathy? Nope... Just checking...
Yes I will reiterate again, based on the scenario you describe, I believe you made a low ball offer and the seller was very wise to turn you down, considering they got a much better price in the end. The adage that "ones first offer may be their best offer" does not apply with your example.

What are you checking on? I don't have sympathy that you lost out because you didn't like the price. I didn't like the fact I thought I should get more money for my house either, but it is what it is. I didn't have to sell.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Well, I am both a BUYER and a SELLER. I am a speculative real estate trader. I've done very well. But I am not unsympathetic to those that didn't. And there are programs out there for SOME sellers, but not all. But I'm certainly not going to get into a debate with strangers on the internet who obviously are just giddy about the fact that some people are losing their very lives over this situation. Because hey, payback is just too much fun, huh? Whether you admit to being bitter or whether you admit to being unkind, it's readily apparent in both of your posts. So I don't want to rain on your parade. You sit on the sidelines and you enjoy yourselves. I, on the other hand, will continue to do something more productive. Good luck to you both. I hope you find the home of your dreams at a rockbottom price, and I know you won't lose one wink of sleep over the circumstances the previous owners were in. They're, after all, not your problem. They're just people you don't know. Until it's someone you do know. Karma is a beyotch.
Where did I act GIDDY about people losing their homes? I complained about people unable to list their house prices at the CURRENT market prices. Nothing more. I am not bitter just making an observation about marketing that I find deceptive or a waste.

Buying a house at a fair or as you would put it "rock bottom price" has what to do with someone buying in over their heads, losing their jobs or getting sick? What did I do to contribute to their situation? Oh right. NOTHING. But you almost suggest that since I didn't bail them out and overpay for their property, I am some insensitive jerk.

I should follow in their footsteps and make a bad finanical decision and then beg for help when I land in the same quicksand as they did. Are you serious?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Perhaps in your zeal to engage in battle, you missed the post wherein I plainly stated that I have no interest in fighting with strangers on the internet. But for others who are concerned that I know not of which I speak, I also have an undergraduate degree in business, as well as a real estate license, and I have been quite successful in spec real estate buying/selling for 8 years. I have nothing to prove to bottom feeders. But thanks for your interest. And good luck to you in your search.
So buy low sell high is only for unethical bottom feeders? You sure do pass a lot of judgement.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Yes I will reiterate again, based on the scenario you describe, I believe you made a low ball offer and the seller was very wise to turn you down, considering they got a much better price in the end. The adage that "ones first offer may be their best offer" does not apply with your example.

What are you checking on? I don't have sympathy that you lost out because you didn't like the price. I didn't like the fact I thought I should get more money for my house either, but it is what it is. I didn't have to sell.
The seller made a few more dollars by waiting it out and that is fine. You win some and you lose some. But I hardly consider my offer a lowball.
After his holding costs for 3 more months he probably made 2-3 grand more by holding out. Good for him. (he was a flipper/rehabber and not the resident of the property)

Old 04-06-2009, 11:39 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,433 times
Buying low and selling high has nothing to do with the comment I made. Just clarifying that particular statement. The others I won't go into b/c we are of two completely different thought processes on this subject and I have no interest in persuading you that you are wrong. Again, I truly hope you find the home of your dreams at the very best price and that you make tons of money. I will also reserve my prayers and thoughts for the many, many distressed sellers out there who are losing everything they own through NO fault of their own. Just b/c someone's house is on the market does not mean that they "deserve" a lowball offer b/c WTH, it's their fault they are selling. That kind of thinking is so selfish and self-centered that I can't even wrap my brain around it. And I have NO desire to be a part of it. But you go right ahead. I hope it works out for you. My karma is way too important to me. I've been successful in large part, I truly believe, b/c I am a good person. That is never going to change, no matter how much money I can make. I will continue to hope for your success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate