Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:21 PM

466 posts, read 1,044,685 times

Advertisements

There was a thread here a while back about things homebuyers would never do again. A recurring thing many people mentioned was that they would never buy a new home again because of all the issues that arose. With an older home, it's much easier to see what you're getting yourself into. Just because a home is newer doesn't mean it'll have fewer problems by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:16 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
If a car was built in 2004 would you assume it had no problems? It depends on how well it was built and maintained.

So get a good mechanic, er inspector to look under the hood, kick the tires and check out it's engine.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I've had inspections on brand new never-lived in homes that had issues. Remember, houses are built by people, and someone could have come to work with a hangover or having had a fight with the spouse or kids or any number of things, and not done the best job in the world on that particular day and it not been caught.

So, ASSUME NOTHING. Have an inspection by a meticulous inspector.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I've been reading the newer homes built during the boom times can actually be worse due to the speed in which they put them up and lack of skilled people to work on home building.

I'd get a good inspection. Personally I wouldn't buy any home built during this RE boom.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
I thought that 2004 was the only year that homes were built without any flaws.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
its a foreclosure. 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths on over 2 acres.

all looks good to the naked eye
Not at all. Saving money by skipping the inspection has a funny way of getting really expensive.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:25 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I thought that 2004 was the only year that homes were built without any flaws.
I'm pretty sure it was... they were on the Toyota Production System that year I think.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 PM

169 posts, read 672,347 times
For $300 I wouldn't skip an inspection. On a newer house you may not notice the problems b/c the house hasn't had time to age/settle. I'd venture an older home gives you more security since you can easily see how it aged over the years - no expensive surprises. I would also factor in what others have mentioned that many homes built in recent years were built cheap, fast, etc in order to take advantage of the housing boom - unless the home was custom built it probably falls in this category.

Get the inspection - its worth the $300 when you are spending (or at least committing to spending) hundreds of thousands of dollars on something.

EDIT: Not that it means anything, but personally I wouldn't touch a home built in the last 8 years for the reasons I mention unless I knew the builder, it was custom, and it was not a tract home.

Good luck house hunting though - it is tough

Old 04-07-2009, 12:24 PM

982 posts, read 1,099,530 times
An inspection is crucial. I would never buy any home w/o a professional inspection. In fact, I switched inspectors b/c when I was selling, the buyers' inspector found things my inspector didn't when I bought the place the year before. Find the best one you can. Secondly, I like newer construction b/c in CA, the builder is on the hook for 10 years for any construction defect. There is more recourse than a house that has changed hands many times in the past 30, 40 years. Just my personal opinion. Of course, newer homes can have problems, no doubt. But the building codes are better now, materials are better now, more energy efficient, et cetera.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
While a newer house wouldn't have an issue with something not functioning properly because of age, if it's not constructed or maintained (or renovated) properly, that's a real problem.

I don't know if speed of construction is the primary determinant of house quality, but I'd bet that skill makes the biggest difference. Whether it takes three months or a year to build a house, if you're jacking it up during construction, you will still have problems (if the problems are not fixed) with the house. Also, if a house is built poorly in the 1950s or the 2000s, you will still have problems with the house.

Quality of construction skill (not hiring just anybody to slap something together), quality of construction materials (I've seen builders go cheap in this market in my neighborhood) and even consumer demand (they want new houses quick) all can play a role. New houses tend to have a lot of builder-grade (let's be honest, cheap) materials, unless you pay for upgrades.

I hired a good inspector (who definitely was NOT cheap) to look at my house pre-drywall and at the end of construction. Besides a few things here and there, he deemed the house to be well-built. Several years later, I've found only a few minor things wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate