Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:43 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

YAY! Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:23 AM

830 posts, read 1,063,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Why would it make you feel bad that sellers get excited about a showing? It's a great thing! The buyers, even if they KNOW going in that they're not going to offer, may tell a friend, or the agent doing the showing may have a different buyer it's perfect for. It's about word of mouth and exposure. Showings should always generate excitement for the seller. You yourself said that "If it's in my price range." This tells a seller that their price is someone's price range and possibly, just possibly, they're not in denial or delusional!
Well you are right again MFP. I was just excited to show my house even though I had a feeling that this wasn't the house for them. I always ask the realtor up front what their client is looking for. The husband wants a "Man Cave" and I told the realtor up front that my basement was out for that as it is barely 5' high and I actually put in the listing that it's a crawl space so they'll be happy when they find out it's really more than that. I tried turning the husband on to the garage for a man cave .... he was really hard to read.

You are right about every showing is a good one. I could tell the realtor liked the house and she seemed to like me too. She complimented me on a very nice showing. Everytime I show the house it gives me great practice. I will plan ahead next time and make the cookies. That is a great idea especially because the kitchen is really the focal point of the house. Who knows, this realtor might find another buyer or like you said, tell someone in her office. That's why I think I am ok with the tenants moving, I'll have a really nice open house.

The first thing I did was tell them about my great neighbors . Everybody has had a neighbor from hell so I always start with how WONDERFUL my neighbors are!!! And it's completely true.

Then I took them around the yard to show how big it is and that it's almost fenced in (they had a little girl). Next I decided to get the disclaimer over about the carpenter bees. I told them and the realtor that I honestly felt the last buyer got cold feet about having such a high mortgage but they used these carpenter bees and the damages as a reason to back out. The realtor looked up at the damage I pointed out to her and she say, "Oh My God, you are kidding me?"! Then she said, "you are right ..... they got cold feet!" She told me she closed on a house not too long about that had 100 X the evidence of carpenter bees and the buyer didn't even make an issue of it and the mortgage when through no problem.

I don't expect these people to make an offer, although though they did stand outside the house for a really long time. I went to the neighbors house to visit and when I came back out 20 minutes later, they were still outside my house. So I drove away and they were still there, hmmmm. They liked the house but I didn't get the feeling that they LOVED IT, certainly not like the last buyer did.

I am still feeling excited to have some action so soon after the last sale fell through.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:35 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
Sending good vibes your way
I've been in your shoes and it's always exciting to have a showing

Old 05-02-2009, 02:31 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Well you are right again MFP. I was just excited to show my house even though I had a feeling that this wasn't the house for them. I always ask the realtor up front what their client is looking for. The husband wants a "Man Cave" and I told the realtor up front that my basement was out for that as it is barely 5' high and I actually put in the listing that it's a crawl space so they'll be happy when they find out it's really more than that. I tried turning the husband on to the garage for a man cave .... he was really hard to read.

You are right about every showing is a good one. I could tell the realtor liked the house and she seemed to like me too. She complimented me on a very nice showing. Everytime I show the house it gives me great practice. I will plan ahead next time and make the cookies. That is a great idea especially because the kitchen is really the focal point of the house. Who knows, this realtor might find another buyer or like you said, tell someone in her office. That's why I think I am ok with the tenants moving, I'll have a really nice open house.

The first thing I did was tell them about my great neighbors . Everybody has had a neighbor from hell so I always start with how WONDERFUL my neighbors are!!! And it's completely true.

Then I took them around the yard to show how big it is and that it's almost fenced in (they had a little girl). Next I decided to get the disclaimer over about the carpenter bees. I told them and the realtor that I honestly felt the last buyer got cold feet about having such a high mortgage but they used these carpenter bees and the damages as a reason to back out. The realtor looked up at the damage I pointed out to her and she say, "Oh My God, you are kidding me?"! Then she said, "you are right ..... they got cold feet!" She told me she closed on a house not too long about that had 100 X the evidence of carpenter bees and the buyer didn't even make an issue of it and the mortgage when through no problem.

I don't expect these people to make an offer, although though they did stand outside the house for a really long time. I went to the neighbors house to visit and when I came back out 20 minutes later, they were still outside my house. So I drove away and they were still there, hmmmm. They liked the house but I didn't get the feeling that they LOVED IT, certainly not like the last buyer did.

I am still feeling excited to have some action so soon after the last sale fell through.
I have to agree with you on several things, especially about the neighbor thing! We have awesome neighbors too, but in the past have had the neighbor from hell. Funny you said the last buyers got cold feet b/c of the high mortgage payment. That, too happened to me. My last buyers were qualified to purchase my home, but backed out for that reason. They loved the house too, but you think they would figure this out first. You'll sell your home. Remember, everything happens for a reason. If you're getting showings, that buyer will come along. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2009, 03:36 PM

394 posts, read 1,048,669 times
quick question about the cookies: I'm not dumb (I promise) but cookies only take about 10 minutes to bake so obviously you would bake them ahead of time - which means dishes to wash and dry and put away - and by the time you allowed for clean-up, wouldn't the cookie smell fade away? I'm just trying to figure out how I could possibly bake cookies and still leave time to put out the good fluffy red accent pillows on the couch, take the dirty clothes basket to the car for storage during the showing, remove the dog bowls, set out the wine glasses and bottle of wine on the island in the kitchen, turn on the music (low), turn on every light in the house, and run through with a neutral smelling Febreeze and still get two kids and a dog to the car and out of the driveway before the buyers show. I also vacuum and lightly dust before each showing and change the towels and bathmats in all 3 bathrooms. Kids are messy!!!

Am I supposed to bake the cookies before the showing or am I supposed to stick them in the oven and turn the oven off so they will slowly cook from the fading heat. Help!

p.s. I apologize if the answer is obvious and I overlooked it. My brain is fried these days. Don't buyers look in the dishwasher? I don't want to stick dirty sheets in there - do I?

Old 05-02-2009, 03:51 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Have a loaf of bread cooking in the oven. That always gets em. Good luck by the way.
C'mon seriously now... Although it is a good Idea a savvy buyer with a good buyers agent will smell desperation all over that tactic. To class it up a bit there is nothing wrong with homemade chocolate chip cookies and coffee. If your going to make it and then offer it. However I went to a home that was on sale a couple of months ago. I helped myself to approx 6 cookies, they were good. I didn't want to buy it but was curious. Nice house 1 block from the long island sound. Since than the agent has contacted me several times every time the price dropped. Just today she called and informed me the house went down another 10,000 so all in all were talking about 30 grand. No takers and the owner wants to move to Florida. I don't care if your Willy Wonka if your home isn't priced right it won't sell and if you are under the impression that baking bread "always gets them " your misinformed. Buyers laugh about these little indicators and talk about what seller did what, little psychological games to arouse the senses. Best advice is to be yourself and be realistic.

Last edited by LongIslandCitizen; 05-02-2009 at 04:07 PM..

Old 05-02-2009, 06:02 PM

982 posts, read 1,099,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Pines View Post
quick question about the cookies: I'm not dumb (I promise) but cookies only take about 10 minutes to bake so obviously you would bake them ahead of time - which means dishes to wash and dry and put away - and by the time you allowed for clean-up, wouldn't the cookie smell fade away? I'm just trying to figure out how I could possibly bake cookies and still leave time to put out the good fluffy red accent pillows on the couch, take the dirty clothes basket to the car for storage during the showing, remove the dog bowls, set out the wine glasses and bottle of wine on the island in the kitchen, turn on the music (low), turn on every light in the house, and run through with a neutral smelling Febreeze and still get two kids and a dog to the car and out of the driveway before the buyers show. I also vacuum and lightly dust before each showing and change the towels and bathmats in all 3 bathrooms. Kids are messy!!!

Am I supposed to bake the cookies before the showing or am I supposed to stick them in the oven and turn the oven off so they will slowly cook from the fading heat. Help!

p.s. I apologize if the answer is obvious and I overlooked it. My brain is fried these days. Don't buyers look in the dishwasher? I don't want to stick dirty sheets in there - do I?
This made me LOL! I love your posts, Pine!! I agree. I run around here like a chicken with my head cut off sometimes. It's crazy! Someone makes a comment about the bathroom toilet paper roll not having a "V" shaped fold!! And then there's cookies to bake? Are you kidding? I'll go crazy!!

Big long sigh.

You will get sold.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:44 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Did you show the home yourself when you were represented by an agent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post

Old 05-02-2009, 06:52 PM

18 posts, read 55,415 times
Congratulations on the showing! If they were standing in your front yard for such a long time, my guess is that your home might be making it to their top 5 list - good luck!

However, and I do not mean to offend you in anyway at all, but I think that you have to be VERY careful when you are showing your home yourself. One of the most uncomfortable experiences we have had trying to find our new home is when owners stay in the property while our agent is showing it to us - we like to walk around, check things out, and not be given a "tour." It really made us uncomfortable when owners would start chiming in with things - I can't explain why, but it just didn't feel very good. I might caution you to possibly consider staying mum during showings and letting their agent guide the experience. Others might feel differently, but this has been our experience.

But whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you receive an offer very, very soon!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 PM

830 posts, read 1,063,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Pines View Post

No question is silly in my book. Well, I have renters living in the house so what I will do next time is buy un baked cookie dough and have it already on the cookie sheet. I'll have a thermos of coffee with paper cups ready as well and drive to the house early, toss them in the oven and have them ready when they get there so I can offer them (especially if they have kids). I'll leave the left over cookies for the tenants and I'll tell the potential buyers that I bake the tenants cookies for every showing I do. That way the potential buyers won't figure it out that I am really trying to psychologically brain wash them into feeling like the house is already theirs!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate