Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 PM

51 posts, read 156,191 times

Advertisements

We have been browsing the market to buy a home for a couple years now and have been receiving help from an agent. However, lately she has been slacking. I often find properties on the internet on my own which I then ask her to provide details about. Her MLS sends me a list of properties from time to time. However, unlike the past, she no longer points out the ones that may be particularly interesting for us. If we are thinking of making an offer on a property, she doesn't divulge all the raw data and past history unless I ask specific questions. In the beginning of our search, I did not even know this is all public data and readily available to anyone for viewing. If a house is listed for 500K, and the previous sale, less than a year ago, was for 350K, I don't hear her giving that information to me.

Given that she is super prompt in replying to queries, I still find myself loosing interest in working with her because she now also has very limited time allocated for us on the weekends to go on property tours. I do understand that it has taken us longer than expected to find a house that we like. I would like to dump her, but my conscience won't allow me to do that because I would hate to see the time that she has spent after us go wasted.

Need unbiased views on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,387 times
How many houses has she taken you through since you started with her?

Old 05-05-2009, 10:26 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeshera View Post
We have been browsing the market to buy a home for a couple years now and have been receiving help from an agent. However, lately she has been slacking. I often find properties on the internet on my own which I then ask her to provide details about. Her MLS sends me a list of properties from time to time. However, unlike the past, she no longer points out the ones that may be particularly interesting for us. If we are thinking of making an offer on a property, she doesn't divulge all the raw data and past history unless I ask specific questions. In the beginning of our search, I did not even know this is all public data and readily available to anyone for viewing. If a house is listed for 500K, and the previous sale, less than a year ago, was for 350K, I don't hear her giving that information to me.

Given that she is super prompt in replying to queries, I still find myself loosing interest in working with her because she now also has very limited time allocated for us on the weekends to go on property tours. I do understand that it has taken us longer than expected to find a house that we like. I would like to dump her, but my conscience won't allow me to do that because I would hate to see the time that she has spent after us go wasted.

I think you hit the key to your problem in the very first sentence. You have been browsing for a couple of years, with her help. She doesn't see you as a serious buyer. She can only put in so much time & effort for someone wh isn't going to generate a paycheck for her. If you're not still "browsing" and are serious about buying a home, you should have a conversation with her & let her know this, so she knows that you need more detailed & extensive information. If you are just browsing for a couple more years, well then, no offense, but you wouldn't be causing her much grief by letting her go.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:26 PM

6,575 posts, read 6,746,620 times
A couple of years ? Really ? And what do you expect from her ? Just wow.........so you're upset at her free service to you after years of her putting in time with you. Your're kidding....I hope.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:39 AM

637 posts, read 3,237,804 times
Cut her loose, she'll probably put you on her Christmas list..

Old 05-06-2009, 03:21 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,899,840 times
Quote:
I would like to dump her, but my conscience won't allow me to do that because I would hate to see the time that she has spent after us go wasted.
She's probably thinking I would like to dump them but I would hate to see all the time I put into this be wasted and someone else reaps the benefits of all my work.

I'm surprised she didn't fire you some time ago.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:42 AM

596 posts, read 2,877,867 times
Quote:

Neeshera, honestly, I think if you've been browsing the housing market in your area for two years, I would not be by your side either if I were an agent. I am not very experienced so its my opinion, but this is her livelihood and why should she waste time for 2 years providing timely information on homes that are not going to be on the market by the time you buy? That didnt make sense...If you are asking for information NOW, what guarantee does she have that all of these details will make any difference since you may not buy for another two years - well after THESE houses are sold? I'm not trying to be mean, but ... she's been nice and helpful for a long time...

Old 05-06-2009, 06:49 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,207,074 times
I give that poor realtor kudos for staying on top of replying to your queries at this point. Considering you have been pestering her for YEARS.

You need to approach her, nicely, and express that you are actually serious now. Assuming that you ARE actually serious about buying.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:54 AM

291 posts, read 912,000 times
Shame on you for wasting all her time, and shame on her for putting up with you so long.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,207,074 times
Quote:

omg, I didn't catch this when I first read this - she's been giving you TOURS on WEEKENDS for several years?! Not only should you keep her, but you should give her a gift certificate for a spa-weekend when you do buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate