Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:15 AM

596 posts, read 2,877,138 times

Advertisements

A bit of a relief. Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge, too.

How do I plan to avoid potential minefields, though, as you mentioned in your last line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The contracts undoubtedly could be dealt with in nearly no time - a "find & replace" on the computer will do that, but any 'family disagreements' could boil over if things are not approached in the right way... You should plan on avoiding any potential minefield.
There were family disagreements with us, I went before closing to sign for my dad (I had POA & was a trustee) so that I did not have to see anyone. I was getting nothing from the sale, the only thing I could get is revenge by holding it up; I honored my dad's wishes & signed.

The relatives would be stupid to hold the sale up, unless one of them wants to buy the house themselves. If no one is interested, they may not get another buyer willing to pay as much.

I would also imagine the buyer has some recourse? There was a signed contract, buyer has put money into the house with inspections, no?

I'm sure that someone knows what's going on. The attorney we used for my dad's house sale knew everything. When my dad's health declined, he knew that. If the sale has to go through probate, he should know that as well. The listing agent was also kept up on his health.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
What range of time have you known it to take to probate a will? Days, weeks, months, years??

Seller had 4 adult children, 2 of which were the POAs. I would guess all 4 would now be heirs of the estate, though. I doubt it is a charitable trust but a living trust (what is this?) maybe, if this means it was left to his kids upon his death?

It sounds like there is no way we will be able to closing on the scheduled closing date (one week from now, and Monday is a holiday). Can names be changed on paperwork in a day or two, or?
I hate to tell you this but...in the case of the house I was buying all the heirs were in agreement but sort of dilly-dallying about getting things done. Frustrated the Executor to no end. It took about 6 months to go from beginning of contract to closing and they were FedExing signatures from all over the country (5 spread out kids). Of course your house was already prepped to sell , so may move quicker. My house was still full of stuff and the kids were trying to go through everything and distribute it/move it out.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,433 times
I was a buyer in that kind of situation. The woman was dying and her daughter had POA. The woman died in the middle of the transaction. I didn't even know it until after we closed. I'm not sure she told anyone. The daughter signed everything, it was notarized, it closed. No one the wiser! LOL!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
I was a buyer in that kind of situation. The woman was dying and her daughter had POA. The woman died in the middle of the transaction. I didn't even know it until after we closed. I'm not sure she told anyone. The daughter signed everything, it was notarized, it closed. No one the wiser! LOL!
Eeeeks! If the death certificate predates the closing date, you may have had the property transferred to you fraudulently which would make it the title companies problem. They generally look at the general index for the county for death certs, or the daughter may have been a joint tenant in which her mothers death would have given her clear title to then act as a principal in the transaction.

Hopefully you have sold the property since then.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Eeeeks! If the death certificate predates the closing date, you may have had the property transferred to you fraudulently which would make it the title companies problem. They generally look at the general index for the county for death certs, or the daughter may have been a joint tenant in which her mothers death would have given her clear title to then act as a principal in the transaction.

Hopefully you have sold the property since then.
Proof that title insurance is a very good thing. that one is going to lay there until some clever attorney in a related matter puts two and two together.

As to the case you need a lawyer or at least the other side does. The contract is void. Dies with the seller. You can't buy from someone who no longer exists.

Depending on how the home was held you can be in for anything from a month to years. And you may well need a lawyer to tell you how long.

The PofA holder may know. Have you asked what they plan to do?

Old 05-25-2009, 03:34 AM

128 posts, read 468,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
What kinds of things should one be worried about if the seller of a home is incapacitated and selling via power of attorney, and subsequently seller passes away before closing? Need help.
The house I bought was the same situation, but the seller did not pass away before closing. Maybe try to speed up the closing?

Old 05-25-2009, 04:54 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
I made an offer on a home in an estate. It was paid off and the heirs wanted to sell it but had to wait until the estate was settled. I was moving from another town and wanted a place in a specific neighborhood.

I ended up extending the closing date on the contract and renting the home at market rate, with half the amount being applied to the down payment. It worked for them, as they had an offer in hand and would have a tough time renting it for an undetermined period of time. And it worked for me, BC I ended up with a nice additional amount applied to the down payment, while living in the home that would be mine.

You would definately want to involve a good real estate attorney, though.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:37 AM

596 posts, read 2,877,138 times
Thanks all...great advice on here.

I like the idea of renting/leasing it and having the money applied towards our costs somehow. I will definitely look into this. We are still crossing our fingers that they will miraculously be able to pull everything together this week, although its doubtful.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:58 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
I wish I could remember what I was told about our sale. He passed in February, house closed end of March. I had POA for him, but the house was also moved into a trust. I wish I knew the time line of everything, I know his will was not filed with the county until July when I signed there. Nothing made sense to me back then. (2006)

FWIW, at zillow, the sale still shows as $1 when it was transferred to the trust, but IIRC, the date for that is wrong, and it doesn't show what the new owners paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate