Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:28 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times

Advertisements

I think we may finally have our house! well, we're fighting through red-tape, but many things are working out largely in our favor and we're mostly thrilled.

It's been a long haul, we've been looking for 5 months now, our Agent has been an absolute gem and has really been working hard -especially on this house.

when it's all finally finished and we have the keys, I'd like to do something to show our appreciation for all her work (she really is going above and beyond here, especially when the house appraised a lot lower than the offer price - so I know her commission goes down too.....). What is appropriate? for DH and me to take her to dinner? Her, her DH & young son to dinner? flowers? any ideas?

Since we're a 10hour drive south of the house (it's a second house for us), she's even willing to supervise major repairs for us since she knows who's good in town, what things should cost and was is just crazy, and since she's only 10-15 min away, she said she can pop over to make sure they're really doing the work. that's a great neighbor!

I want to thank her. What do I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 09:26 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,294 times
The absolute best way to thank her is to tell her just what you have told us here and then send her referrals. If you want to do more then give her a gift certificate for a nice dinner or spa treatment. I'm happy you had a great experience with your Realtor.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:29 AM

718 posts, read 2,079,108 times
Absolutely....write her a lovely referral letter she can use in promotions if she chooses (she does need your permission) and refer her to your friends and relatives. That is the best thank you......

Old 06-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Oh I will happily recommend ANYONE moving in her area to call her, but.. that part of NH isn't exactly the most mobile. And I have told her a number of times how amazing she is <G>

Ok, a gift cert for dinner is doable - for her only, or should it be family (hubby & son)? I'm not so sure she's the spa sort.

Sure, we can write up a referral blurb she can use.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Do you know what her hobbies are? Does she love gardening, or to cook? Maybe a gift certificate to a local garden center, or a gift certificate to take a cooking class?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:35 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Do you know what her hobbies are? Does she love gardening, or to cook? Maybe a gift certificate to a local garden center, or a gift certificate to take a cooking class?
Gift certificates are great ideas IMO. Better than taking him/her to dinner. If it's dinner, I would suggest enough value where they could take their whole family or just their significant other, as they choose.

But as Silverfall suggests, in all gifting situations the most thoughtful gift is one that is specifically geared to the recipient. My agent talked a lot about wine when he was driving us around. So our gift to him was a gift cert. to a nice local italian restaurant that permits wine to be brought in by the customers, plus a bottle of wine that was special. Not extremely expensive, but not box wine. Something of a quality that I thought he, in particular, would appreciate. Hopefully you've picked up some nuggets about your agent's hobbies and interests along the way. If not, try to do some "research" before closing.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:13 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
Gift certificates are great ideas IMO. Better than taking him/her to dinner. If it's dinner, I would suggest enough value where they could take their whole family or just their significant other, as they choose.

But as Silverfall suggests, in all gifting situations the most thoughtful gift is one that is specifically geared to the recipient. My agent talked a lot about wine when he was driving us around. So our gift to him was a gift cert. to a nice local italian restaurant that permits wine to be brought in by the customers, plus a bottle of wine that was special. Not extremely expensive, but not box wine. Something of a quality that I thought he, in particular, would appreciate. Hopefully you've picked up some nuggets about your agent's hobbies and interests along the way. If not, try to do some "research" before closing.
The coolest gift I got from a client was a bag that they had my company logo on (I have my own brokerage) and then filled it with stuff that kind of related to our house hunt.

For whatever reason...when I was with these clients I ALWAYS got a run in my nylons...so they put some new nylons in there for me with reinforced toes...I thought it was really funny. Anyway...there were some funny things and some really nice things in there. I do like to cook so they got me some really nice cookie cutters, and other cooking gadgets. It was very thoughtful.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:35 AM

761 posts, read 3,415,437 times
We have been thinking of this as well as of what to get our RE Agent at closing. She drives a huge SUV and drives us around to showings and what not, so we may repay her with a couple of tanks of gas, or a gift certificate to a restaurant.. not sure yet.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,559 times
All of these are great ideas! What a thoughtful thing to do.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 AM

I just wanted to thank you folks for your great ideas!

We finally closed on a house last Friday morning - it only took 6 months, and we ended up buying the first house we looked at (and tried to buy) last Jan!

I made my agent a goodie bag, and she absolutely loved it! I did get a totebag made up with her company logo on it, and filled it with things relating to our search (a new mouse for the one she probably wore out with my emails, a bottle of aspirin, a toy shovel for the winter showings, a bottle of hand sanitizer for one of the listing agents we dealt with, and a bottle of pepto bismal which was the nickname for the house we bought since it had a room painted pepto pink!). She thought it was all just hysterical.

Oh, I was also able to refer someone else to her, and we plan on writing a testamonial for her website as well.

Anyway, I've made a great new friend, and we love our new house. Thanks again for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate