Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 12:32 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,816 times

Advertisements

I didn't really know how to put the title.

I'm only a senior in high school, plan to attend college and graduate school, so I'am far off from designing a dream home. Plus, if I were to do so with my first place, my first budget of buying/ designing would be low ( like 250k) so I could try to pay it off within 5 years, and when I'am ready to resell ( right after paying 250k in 5 years, or a few years later) hopefully for 250k or more, simply would likely use that same 250k again for the purchase of maybe a 500k, but now only 250k with the large downpayment I've gain from last place, and maybe able to pay off that 500k place ( though now only costing 250k) within 5 years as well, which would be great.
^
Yeah I probably got off topic, but you get the picture right?

So just out of curiousty, eventhough I'am far from designing a dream place ( whether one to stay in for 5 years, or more etc...) are there any high rise condo buildings, that have large rooms with high rise cielings for one to design a dream penthouse? With basically leaving the option of everything, and just one large empty sqft room? I'am not saying the entire building has all their rooms for one to design, but maybe at least a few for those who would like to do so.
I'am not even sure in the near future if I'am looking for a large room as such in a high rise condo building, just interested in knowing if these options exist.

So basically your only doing interior design.

Last edited by timeofseasons; 08-30-2009 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 06:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,816 times
Any information would be helpful.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,266 times
The condominium open plan has spread over into small house design.
If you look at condo design in Vancouver, B.C. and note the architects involved they may even help you by sending you their CAD design plans. I received major cooperation from firms and I'm not a student!

The smart use of small interior space is a revolution that is farther advanced in areas where space is at a premium.
High ceiling condos are often industrial areas converted to living: Yaletown in Vancouver has gone this route.

If you win the lottery look at Jon Bon Jovi hovel in Londons' Soho. Nice job with tall arched windows and the zen approach. Apparently he's really into that.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
Not a condo exactly, but what you're describing is more like a loft, often found in NYC and other large urban area ( LA, SF, etc.. These are frequently spaces converted from uses, often former warehouses.

What it is, is a large space, sometimes a single floor, sometimes, past of a floor. It's one giant room usually with very high ceilings and large windows. Some are finished spaces, some are entirely left up to the new owner to do as he wishes.

They tend to be expensive and yes, there are design firms who specialize in taking these spaces and making them into homes.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,177,644 times
What you are describing is a architectural loft or custom home approach to building and yes it is both doable and desirable, albeit expensive. Most first time buyers choose to purchase something a little more readily available and cost effective. Also keep in mind that resale is important. A custom design (what appeals to you) may not appeal to all buyers.

I applaud you for your ambition of trying to purchase and pay off in 5 years. Good luck with that.

As a more senior citizen I can offer some advice to help you accomplish your goal. Study hard, get a good job or invent a new niche market like Facebook or Google.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times
Congratulations on your creative dreams!

Yes, definitely lofts for the large empty space and very high ceilings. In historic warehouses or above old town storefronts. They can be bought in various stages. You can have to make one liveable to purchasing a rehabed one. Maybe no utilities to quite luxurious. Even small cities around you may have them. Especially if there is an area that has old railraod tracks or a river once used for shipping even on a tiny scale by today's standards. You'd be looking for the spots along the way where goods were brought to warehouses and stored for shipment via, say, flat bottom boats or railroad.

Realize financing and condition of the property and zoning go hand in hand.

Lighting (limited windows or magnificent but pricier window light) is an issue on lofts. As can be any historic district or historic building restrictions about knocking out a wall for more light.

If you want to buy an open space and not one where you take down walls to create an open space, you need to be in touch with a builder or developer before they start putting those walls up. There are communities, whether vertical or horizontal, where the occasional purchaser has been creative like that, doing something no one else does. There are townhouse communities where a builder's friend likes the builder and location and a nice lot and the builder agrees to build a house for him that looks like a townhouse and a half, detached but amended with landscaping and you can barely tell. There are penthouses actually built after the building was put up...for someone who wanted that.

That kind of special treatment can be pricey....but not always.

And a lot of builders are on a set course and their contractors are set for just one system. But that too could be worked around.

Professional builders will also have codes to meet before occupancy; and an occupancy standard to meet in order for any purchasers to get certain types of financing, etc.

So there's the sort of background stuff too.

You might look around and meet with some builders and developers just on a friendly exploratory basis, go to some open houses if there are any in lofts. Drive or walk around the downtowns, warehouses.

Hey, you might even be able to purchase a good old solid (brick) small warehouse with city grants or one of those historic buildings or homes for $1 that some cities' historic foundations offer (with restrictions to complete rehab in a definite amount of time) and somehow go in on it with friends working on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate