Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:56 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,316,239 times

Advertisements

Some States, i.e. Indiana, require the agent to attend the closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,584,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
On the other hand, some states, like Arizona, do not have a formal "closing" where both agents attend together with their clients. Each side signs their closing documents separately at the title company (or by mail if unable to travel to the title office). It's optional for the agent to attend, although I try to be there for my client if at all possible. There is really nothing for me to do except answer an occasional question that most likely could be answered by the title rep. The actual closing happens when the deed of trust is recorded, then the buyer gets their keys (barring any other contractual possession arrangement).

Old 09-13-2009, 08:29 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,049,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
So a RE attorney can't attend in place of the agent in Indiana? Just curious as I don't practice in Indiana and even old dogs can learn tricks which is why I'm asking. If that is the case in the OPs state in question, then I would think the BIC could attend on behalf of the brokerage and the agent herself wouldn't need to be there - just someone representing the brokerage.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:53 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,261,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
So a RE attorney can't attend in place of the agent in Indiana? Just curious as I don't practice in Indiana and even old dogs can learn tricks which is why I'm asking. If that is the case in the OPs state in question, then I would think the BIC could attend on behalf of the brokerage and the agent herself wouldn't need to be there - just someone representing the brokerage.
It seems like the same concept as in Texas. We don't use attorneys. We use title companies here. Buyers and sellers don't close at the same time. Sometimes it's even on different days.

The escrow officer of the title company explains all the documents to the buyer and seller. Title companies are owned by attorneys BTW and buyers actually sign a waiver that the attorneys of that title company didn't represent them. They simply check the paperwork for fraud and order the title search since they issue the title policy.

A lot of agents in our area don't go to closings. I go to every single one. A buyer always feel reassured if their agent is there so we can remind of certain items discussed during the loan process and also give them a chill pill when the see the TIL...

Naima

Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,261,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
But I think the agents is only there to sign paperwork? I'm not sure. I'm sure if you make a big enough stink about it, it can be arranged so that the agent will be next door/sit in another room while you sign the papers. If my agent ripped me off I would certainly ask her not to be there. But bring an attorney so they can look it over.
I think this is an excellent suggestion and should work for you Tollhouse. If it is a builder's salesperson, they will not even be at closing.

Naima

Old 09-13-2009, 10:24 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,049,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
It seems like the same concept as in Texas. We don't use attorneys. We use title companies here. Buyers and sellers don't close at the same time. Sometimes it's even on different days.

The escrow officer of the title company explains all the documents to the buyer and seller. Title companies are owned by attorneys BTW and buyers actually sign a waiver that the attorneys of that title company didn't represent them. They simply check the paperwork for fraud and order the title search since they issue the title policy.

A lot of agents in our area don't go to closings. I go to every single one. A buyer always feel reassured if their agent is there so we can remind of certain items discussed during the loan process and also give them a chill pill when the see the TIL...

Naima
Was similar in CO though when I practiced there, at least at my closings, everyone was there (and we, as well, didn't use attorneys); however wasn't sure about the post by Tom where the agent 'had' to be there (in Indiana). I'm curious by nature, plus learning about other states RE laws helps me with clients down here. Since the OP doesn't want them there, I thought a good 'alternative' would be a RE attorney or the BIC. Thanks for the info, though, on Texas norms 'cause something else I can file away

Old 09-13-2009, 10:59 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,746,293 times
I bought and sold 2 houses without an agent being at closing, but then I didn't use an agent, except once to review my contact and post on MLS for a flat fee. I don't see why an agent would need to be there. The escrow officer explained everything to me.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
I would do whatever my client wanted. If I can provide you the best service without being there, then that's what I'll do. I'll make sure I'm available by phone though

And I'd also spend a few moments trying to talk you out of it. Even though the law says my agency with my clients ends at closing, I've never thought that way.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,820,589 times
I would want that person and their boss there just so I can tell them in person how much they have screwed me over, and how I will make it a point to explain in details to everyone that asks your opinion of said agent and agency. if they argue then pull out proof of what has transpired and call them out on it!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I would want that person and their boss there just so I can tell them in person how much they have screwed me over, and how I will make it a point to explain in details to everyone that asks your opinion of said agent and agency. if they argue then pull out proof of what has transpired and call them out on it!
What the heck did this sales rep/agent do to incur this sort of rath?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate