Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:16 AM

194 posts, read 490,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Ok, I'm doneMike, NRG, CH, make me stop. I simply cannot speak to those that have NO CLUE as to what a good agent does.

I responded because I want buyers and sellers to KNOW what they SHOULD be getting and what THEY should be doing to get it but I won't waste my time on those that THINK they know what they obviously don't know.

I'm getting off my soapbox.

Vicki
Vicki,

Did I hit a nerve? As I mentioned..."not all realtors" but even you have to agree that some realtors went into the business for the wrong reason and get upset when they are going on the 4th month with the same couple and the couple still has not found the "right one"
You shouldn't feel as though you have to defend "bad realtors"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3muskateers View Post
Many of the agents out there jumped on the real estate band wagon back in early 2000, figuring it is a wonderful way to make some cash, not because they are a "people person" and want to help families find a home! There are just some people that should have never got into the real estate business...should have stuck with their office job.

Buying a home is a huge decision and many buyers (not all) need to look at many homes before they jump into a home. NC is a state that has had so many transplants and I think that some (not all) realtors expect buyers to buy a home during a weekend visit? NOT ME! I need to do my research and make sure the home is a good fit for my family. I do not think my current realtor was anticipating that and hoping we were one of the weekend buyers!

I would love to have a job where I worked a couple of weekends and sold a couple of houses to people being relocated to this great area!
And the really great thing - if you're a buyer's agent, the worse you do your job, the more you get paid!

And Vicki, stop taking things so personally, nobody is talking about you here, we are talking about the many bad agents that you yourself mentioned in a previous post. Your passive-aggressive posts are kind of irritating.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:22 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
And the really great thing - if you're a buyer's agent, the worse you do your job, the more you get paid!

I need a job like that!

Old 09-25-2009, 11:06 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post

And Vicki, stop taking things so personally, nobody is talking about you here, we are talking about the many bad agents that you yourself mentioned in a previous post. Your passive-aggressive posts are kind of irritating.
Oh boy everybody duck

Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 AM

28 posts, read 68,588 times
You should certainly ask for new representation. Even if you have an agreement, it may have already been breached by your agent. She is supposed to present all offers according to your instructions, and it is her duty to negotiate on your behalf, regardless of how she may feel about the terms. VickiR is right, your agreement is with the company, not the agent, and you could get something done about it rather quickly with a call to her Broker-in-charge. Hope it works out for you!

Old 09-25-2009, 11:38 AM

450 posts, read 1,554,098 times
Quote:
Yesterday, I was picking out tile for my bathroom and was listening to the tile person trying to explain to a customer WHY the tile was priced the way it was. The customer was not happy. Eventually, the customer left and the tile person was available to help me. I told her that I was impressed in the way she handled an obvious annoyed customer.

Based on what I had witnessed, we had a very interesting conversation about customer service. She said that she used to be a waitress and even though a waitress comes back to the table to ask if everything is ok, only 5% of people will tell you IF something is wrong.

She said the other 95% won't send their food back if it isn't right but will leave the restaurant and COMPLAIN FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS TO ANYONE THAT WILL LISTEN.

I'm in the 5%. If something isn't right, whether it is my food or a service that I have paid for, I want the situation corrected. I don't "complain", shout or be obnoxious, but rather ask for the person that CAN correct the situation and have it corrected.

So...for those 95% that just LIKE TO WHINE AND COMPLAIN...I want you to start standing up for yourselves. If something isn't to your liking...whether it is your Real Estate Agent or your food in a restaurant, be adult. Stand up for yourself. You are paying for it. Instead of complaining to anyone that will listen...take care of it. You are adults, right?

Thanks for reading...I believe we all need to think of others in this time of stress, with the economy being what it is.

Vicki
Vicki,

The problem with sending back food is that you will often tick off one of the cooks, who will then not be very nice with your food (if you know what I mean). I'm one of the 5% almost everywhere else, but I refuse to send back food.

Like I've said in other threads, my brother is a professionaly trained chef (who's worked in kitchens for a long, long time) and I've worked at a few restaurants myself. Sending food back is a 95% guarantee that you end up with some phlegm, spit, "small, curly hairs" or worse on your food. My advice, don't do it!

Old 09-25-2009, 12:08 PM

351 posts, read 770,451 times
Quote:
We are unfortunately in a contract till DEC, big mistake!
Yikes! I haven't heard of a buyers agent contract. Is that something new in this area? When we moved in '07 we didn't sign one with our buying agent.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:24 PM

121 posts, read 381,667 times
Quote:
The SELLER PAYS the Realtor a percentage, based on the agreement between the seller and his listing agent.
Vicki
...out of money given to them by the buyer.

Buyer's agents want to make it sound like the seller is paying the fee because it comes out of the sale price.
Seller's agents want to make it sound like the buyer is paying the fee because they are essentially paying a mark-up.

Let's just accept that the buyer pays a little more and that the seller gets a little less for the service that (some) realtors provide.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
The more I read stories like this, the luckier I feel to have found my buyer's agent who was proactive, professional, responsive, and always looking out for me. I know she submitted every offer I made because I received a prompt response to every one of them. I negotiated hard for this house and I never felt that she was an impediment to me getting the price I wanted.

Writing the first offer took hours because she took the time to explain the contract to me in painstaking detail so I would be fully aware of exactly what I was committing myself or not committing myself to. At every point during the negotiations she spoke to me on the phone or in person, sometimes for up to an hour, discussing what the options/potential outcomes were, and what our next steps might be if result A or result B was achieved. She came to the inspection and was there start to finish and even stayed for an hour after the inspector left, discussing what he had found. I never had a minute's trouble getting her on the phone or, if she was not available, getting her to return a phone call or e-mail. She relentlessly pestered the mortgage broker to ensure that we would close on time, since my mortgage was stuck in underwriting longer than usual due to a high volume of mortgage applications at that time.

I guess I really was very lucky. I will definitely recommend her to everyone I know who is buying a house in this area. She was a gem.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:10 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
I agree!
The house we made an offer on was a fairly new listing and priced at $388,000. It had neg, and I brought those neg in when considering my offer. We told "our" agent we would like to put an offer in at 355,000, she was outraged and claimed we would insult them. I told her that is what we felt comfortable with, she talked us up to 365,000 and like fools we agreed, although I was upset and decided to pull out of the deal. She lost a sale because she did not support us!

The house sold for 360,000 1 month later... oh and the sellers wrote us a letter when we pulled out asking that we reconsider and that they were willing to go lower.

I now go into each property and go with my instincts, and take very little from the opinions of Agents, as I feel they are not savy on this current market! They still think it is 2003 to 2007.
I also had a realtor who would not put in our offer " years ago" on a Florida condo.........Same reasons as your stated. I don't think they should be able to do that either.......... say it is "not enough"
They should not. We left her as our buying agent, she made too many demands.
We found a wonderful, lady who didn't ask much of us, and did her homework showing us places. She won the deal.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate