Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:20 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,420 times

Advertisements

First, although I've only been in business 4 years, this IS my bread and butter. I'm not a part-time agent who decided to get an RE license as a hobby. With that said, of all the buyers I've worked with, every last one them thought they knew the market better than I did. We did things their way until they were tired of being beat out. When they FINALLY listened to me, they finally went under contract. I have some of the most dramatic transactions and it doesn't have to be that way. People should get it out of their heads that we're all the same and all we care about is money.

Are your offers contingency laden? If you're in a competitive market, sometimes it doesn't matter what you offer if you have a contract with every contingency known to man. The guy who won out for $15K less probably didn't even have a home inspection. Did the "winner" pay cash? Everyone can't excercise that option, but with cash there are no appraisal or finance contingencies.

What's your earnest money deposit like? The bigger your EMD, the more likely the seller is to feel that you're committed to seeing the transaction through. If you're putting a $500 EMD on a $500000 house, do you think that tells the seller you're in it for the long haul?

Are your offers fair, or are they all about you? "I'll offer you more, but I want all of my closing costs paid, I want you to fix every little nit-picky thing that comes up on the home inspection report, we'll close when it's convenient for me, and if you don't give me everything I want, I'm walking. You should feel grateful that I even came to see your house, let alone made an offer on it!" Sounds funny, but a lot of buyers think that way. Although it is my responsibility to protect my clients interests, I see no reason why I can't protect my client AND create a "win-win" transaction where everyone gets along and likes each other. Nobody in the deal should feel screwed.

Have you discussed your concerns with your agent...or are you hoping she happens across your CD post? TELL HER!! She can't fix something she doesn't know about! It amazes me how people choose to suffer in silence rather than speak up. Look at it this way: by telling her, consider it a random act of kindness. If you tell your agent about what you want her to do better, more than likely that will carry over into future client relationships...she's not going to want another client to feel the way you do. You are creating better experience for anyone who gets stuck with her after you buy your house lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3muskateers View Post
We have been looking for a home in the Cary/Apex area, and put in 2 offers. On both offers our agent tried to get us to put in higher offers than we instinctively knew the homes were worth. Both homes were overpriced (just by the comps she gave us) and just talking with neighbors in the area.

One house ended up selling for 15,000 less than what she insisted we offer and the other home is still on the market (and has been for over a yr.)

We went to at another home on Sunday and (by the way, I find all the homes, she never sends us new listings...her web-site is so complicated)
The home was beautiful and priced great...I asked her "why do you think it is priced this well?" her response "well, maybe they are just ready for a move" Well, we go out to the back yard and there is a gas line running through the complete back yard. Isn't a Buyers Agent suppose to look out for her clients...or are they just trying to keep the market inflated and make a sale!

We are unfortunately in a contract till DEC, big mistake!

I am not even from this area, yet feel as though I know the market better
than this lady! She is so concerned with the sellers and insulting them, and not at all trying to find us the best home...even when knowing a house has been on the market for over 10 months and is overpriced!

Has anyone else had this experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:36 AM

148 posts, read 585,226 times
Wow, I would discuss the problems with her first and, if they don't improve, call her broker and ask to be given a better agent or released from the contract. Many offices will do this just to save their reputation.

btw, she can advise you on a "good" offer, but should not be "insisting" or telling you what to offer. IN NC, a buyer's agent is required to present any and all offers. If you want to offer $10,000 on a $500,000 home, with the contingency that they throw in the Mercedes and the boat, you'll probably get laughed and and have the offer rejected, and either amuse or tick odf a few people, but the agent is BOUND BY LAW to present that offer to the seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate