Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:25 PM

67 posts, read 66,946 times

Advertisements

I wanted to share some good news. The wife and I put a contingent offer on a house last week that was accepted but then we heard nothing but bad news about selling our existing house because we have a in-ground pool.

Our listing went live Saturday evening and we had a open house yesterday. We had 10 prospects and one of them had their agent tell ours that we would be getting an offer. It came in last night and as of this morning we have a deal! Our house was on the market for less than 24 hours before we had a buyer!!!

The offer was very close to our asking price which made this an easy decision. It can happen, even in this economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrunner View Post
I wanted to share some good news. The wife and I put a contingent offer on a house last week that was accepted but then we heard nothing but bad news about selling our existing house because we have a in-ground pool.

Our listing went live Saturday evening and we had a open house yesterday. We had 10 prospects and one of them had their agent tell ours that we would be getting an offer. It came in last night and as of this morning we have a deal! Our house was on the market for less than 24 hours before we had a buyer!!!

The offer was very close to our asking price which made this an easy decision. It can happen, even in this economy!
Wow, great news! There are buyers out there and your example certainly meant you priced well. This should be an example to those that are trying to sell.

This is how I translate it as an investor or buyer

Getting an offer the first few days= perfect list price
Lookers, no offers= 5-10% too high
No lookers= Min 10% too high

Old 07-11-2011, 12:50 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,400,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrunner View Post

Where do you live? This is great news!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Congratulations! What market?

I sold my house in the Los Angeles (SFV) market in little more than a week, earlier this year. I attribute my short time on market to setting a reasonable price (square on the comps), fixing all known maintenance problems, fresh interior paint, new carpet and super cleaning.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM

67 posts, read 66,946 times
The house we sold is in the suburbs of St Louis.

We did the same as Lovehound, I have either painted or power-washed most surfaces in and around the house and garage and the wife has been cleaning like a fiend. I also filled up a rental storage shed with overflow

The biggest thing we did was to have the landscaping redone in front of the house which gave us excellent curb appeal. Our house is one of the nicest on our street, updated siding, roof, gutters, soffitt and facia. It really shows well, we were a little higher than the comps but not much.

Last edited by Rockrunner; 07-11-2011 at 02:11 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 01:53 PM

45 posts, read 433,103 times
Congrats on the house.. I'm not clear base on your post.. topic states house sold in 1 day.. but your post describe that you got an offer within 24hrs.. does'nt necessarily mean your house will be successful sell... unless i'm missing something.. but good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:16 PM

google9, I think most of us think of "house sold in X days" as meaning the period beginning when the listing became active and ending when an offer or counter-offer has been accepted and signed by buyer and seller. Then begins the escrow period and we all know they sometimes end successfully in closing, and sometimes fall out of escrow and have to go back on the market.

Way to go Rockrunner! You and I agree that the advance work is very important to selling your house quickly. Picking a reasonable price is very important too.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
good for you--
common sense and being willing to put a little money into your presentation --very smart

Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Congratulations! What market?

I sold my house in the Los Angeles (SFV) market in little more than a week, earlier this year. I attribute my short time on market to setting a reasonable price (square on the comps), fixing all known maintenance problems, fresh interior paint, new carpet and super cleaning.
for how much?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
for how much?
Any answer would be meaningless without a lengthy description of the property and locale. I got my asking price minus paying some of the buyer's closing costs, an amount that was coincidentally exactly the difference between my asking price and my target price. Or in other words I got exactly my target price. However I set my target price based upon my assessment of the comps and what other properties were asking or had recently closed at.

Both buyers and sellers should fully understand the comps. There is no inherent price that is the exact value of a house, except as based upon the current market for similar nearby properties, i.e. the comps. Of course there are rarely identical properties so you have to develop a feel for what to add or subtract to allow comparison of dissimilar properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate