Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times

Advertisements

Anyone use cameras (with audio) when selling a home. I don't mean for security so much, more to see and hear how prospects view your home (much like the TV shows). Is it effective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Anyone use cameras (with audio) when selling a home. I don't mean for security so much, more to see and hear how prospects view your home (much like the TV shows). Is it effective?
You need to check your state laws about audio recordings. I know in Oregon in order to record you have to be involved in the conversation. You can't record someone else's conversation out here if you are not a part of it.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:18 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You need to check your state laws about audio recordings. I know in Oregon in order to record you have to be involved in the conversation. You can't record someone else's conversation out here if you are not a part of it.

I wouldn't think that law would apply to a camera in your own home. if it does, thats just crazy! There should be no expectation of privacy when you are in someone elses house.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:24 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,374,728 times
And what about nanny cams---lots of parents have them and rightfully so!!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I wouldn't think that law would apply to a camera in your own home. if it does, thats just crazy! There should be no expectation of privacy when you are in someone elses house.
You can video, which is what security cameras are, but no audio. Unless you are law enforcement you can't audio tape someone else's conversation here unless you are a party to the conversation. It doesn't matter where you are. When you are in a grocery store, clearly there is no privacy there...still can't audio tape in Oregon.

I also disagree about the expectation of privacy. You are placing your home up for sale, so YOU are the one giving up your privacy by allowing strangers to wander your home. You have given them permission to come into your home AND you are LEAVING during the showing. If you stayed for the showing that would be different. I think it is implied that you are giving them privacy to wander and evaluate your home by the action of placing it up for sale.

Check your state laws.

I would also talk with your agent. Personally I would be completely bothered that my client would want to tape other people and wouldn't want to take that listing.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
And what about nanny cams---lots of parents have them and rightfully so!!
Nanny cams can be video, but not audio in Oregon, unless as part of the job description you let them know they will be audio taped as well.

Video is not a problem. Audio is.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:15 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
If you are that concerned about what the potential buyers are saying, just hide in a closet and hope they don't open it ( sarc)

Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You can video, which is what security cameras are, but no audio. Unless you are law enforcement you can't audio tape someone else's conversation here unless you are a party to the conversation. It doesn't matter where you are. When you are in a grocery store, clearly there is no privacy there...still can't audio tape in Oregon.

I also disagree about the expectation of privacy. You are placing your home up for sale, so YOU are the one giving up your privacy by allowing strangers to wander your home. You have given them permission to come into your home AND you are LEAVING during the showing. If you stayed for the showing that would be different. I think it is implied that you are giving them privacy to wander and evaluate your home by the action of placing it up for sale.

Check your state laws.

I would also talk with your agent. Personally I would be completely bothered that my client would want to tape other people and wouldn't want to take that listing.

Excellent post ( especially about the privacy issue )

Old 09-28-2009, 10:55 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
Silverfall seems right on the money (as always). When searching, here is a quote that kept coming up
Quote:
Regardless of the state, it is almost always illegal to record a conversation to which you are not a party, do not have consent to tape, and could not naturally overhear.
So, my new question is, how do the TV shows do it? I know they ask the people before they air it but it sounds like it is illegal to tape it to begin with. Unless it is all a scam and everybody is in on the "first" open house.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM

359 posts, read 1,119,675 times
I have asked my realtor this very question so many times as we "critique" a home. Couldn't get any more brutally honest feedback than that! Although.......I doubt the sellers of most home would even want to entertain any offer I make with some of the comments I've made about the decor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate