Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2007, 12:14 AM

177 posts, read 857,204 times

Advertisements

a) What is considered a busy road ?
b) How much of a negative is a busy road ? How noisy/polluted does it get ? Is it a big nuisance ?
c) Even if there is an alley and a subdivision wall between the backyard and road, is it still considered negative ?
d) Would resale suffer a lot due to road ? How much of a price hit will I take because of a road in the backyard ? Or would the house sit on market for very long ?
e) Is it better to have a backyard facing neighbours or backyard facing a road for more privacy ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
We owned a home that had a street behind it. It wasn't a very busy street, but when people came to see the house they all complained about the street behind. It took longer to sell the house because of the street, but eventually it sold because it was a very nice house. We learn from our experiences and as a result we will never own a home with a street behind it again. We will always choose an interior location.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,768 times
Has anyone purchased a home on a busy street and has been able to get out of it within a year? How?

Old 04-02-2013, 01:03 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmax View Post
Has anyone purchased a home on a busy street and has been able to get out of it within a year? How?
I've seen some that were foreclosed on in less than a year, so yes, people do get out of them quickly.

I'd personally never purchase one unless it had good rental potential. They're hard to sell and not pleasant to live in.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:24 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
a) What is considered a busy road ?
A road that people use to get from A to B, but don't live on or near. Example: my old house was on an interior road of a section of town, but it was a "cut through" street between 2 busy roads -- got more traffic than it should. My current house is on a road that people only use to get to that block or the next one.

VERY busy roads could be numbered highways that cut through towns and include truck traffic as well as cars.

Quote:
b) How much of a negative is a busy road ? How noisy/polluted does it get ? Is it a big nuisance ?
Big nuisance!! A grey dust settles on everything -- patio, furniture, window screens.

Quote:
c) Even if there is an alley and a subdivision wall between the backyard and road, is it still considered negative ?
Yes. Can't see how that would cut down on the noise enough to compensate.

Quote:
d) Would resale suffer a lot due to road ? How much of a price hit will I take because of a road in the backyard ? Or would the house sit on market for very long ?
Would take longer to sell -- fewer people are willing to put up with a busy road. I grew up on a short busy road -- it was one of the few that went over the RR tracks. It would have sold much quicker and for a better price had it been on a quieter street.

Quote:
e) Is it better to have a backyard facing neighbours or backyard facing a road for more privacy ?
Neighbors. There are ways of creating privacy from other houses, but nothing will cut down on the traffic noise.

I live a block away from 2 numbered roads and am still shocked at how much truck traffic I hear, even though I'm in the middle of a town, and all of that traffic has to slow down to go through town.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,803,729 times
I wouldn't personally buy a house on any road that maintain traffic from point A to point B. You never know if that road will be improved, so you will end up facing VERY busy road...

Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I wouldn't personally buy a house on any road that maintain traffic from point A to point B. You never know if that road will be improved, so you will end up facing VERY busy road...
Ditto. We are in the buying process right now and I wont even look at the interior of a home that sits on a busy road. The traffic is a big factor for me but I also have kids and that is a deal breaker for us

Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 PM

162 posts, read 303,569 times
What about 12th house on a local street crossing the busy road?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine0 View Post
What about 12th house on a local street crossing the busy road?
12 houses in from the arterial? Depends on the arterial. If it's a highway or freeway, no. If it generates a lot of undesirable foot traffic or acts as an easy get away for burglars, no. If it's loud, no. If it generates a lot of dust and pollution, no. Otherwise, it's ok.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 PM

172 posts, read 355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
12 houses in from the arterial? Depends on the arterial. If it's a highway or freeway, no. If it generates a lot of undesirable foot traffic or acts as an easy get away for burglars, no. If it's loud, no. If it generates a lot of dust and pollution, no. Otherwise, it's ok.
Not a high/free way, negligible foot traffic of occasional joggers, no dust, not more pollution than rest of the town and not really loud. I know which house you are talking about, but their kitchen is really ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate