Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:11 PM

756 posts, read 1,654,218 times

Advertisements

I was hesitant at first, but our agent told me that Christmas decorations can make a home seem warmer and friendlier. We live in a mostly Mormon community with a lot of Catholics and conservative Christians, too. Only the folks next door (Hindu) aren't Christian and even they put up lights.

So, I am putting up lights today and probably the tree tomorrow.

What are the feelings of others here about Christmas decorations? Seems like a good topic to banter about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 12:22 PM

17,410 posts, read 14,650,567 times
I'm a fan of not stopping to live your life just because your home is for sale.

BUT ... sellers need to be aware that some over the top decorations AND some decorations in general may be a turn off for some buyers.

BUT ... you can't please everyone anyway.

And hell, it's the holiday season. If someone has a stick up their behind because of some lights and a tree, they weren't going to buy your house anyway.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
As long as the house can be seen through the decorations, I think that it's not a bad idea! It does make a house seem more like a home.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:05 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
less is more- simple is best IMHO Don't cover every square inch, the home's features should be 'highlighted', not lost in the shuffle.You don't need to drag out every last decoration you have! Maybe the most sentimental...

merry CHRISTMAS
good luck

Old 11-26-2009, 01:27 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Selling a home and staging are synonymous together. Decorating for a holiday becomes personal, and takes the staging and deneutralizing out of the home. I'm against the decorations.

November and December are always my busiest months so I work with a lot of buyers during this time, and time and time again, they always ask me, "Do you think the sellers would be willing to sell before the holidays?" This is because the decorations make it look like you're not ready to pack and move.

But that's just my opinion along with the opinions straight from my buyers. I'm sure your agent knows what she's doing...

Old 11-26-2009, 01:41 PM

Thanks everyone! Some great advice - and the simpler aspect makes much sense. I will not do a "Griswold Family Christmas" display! Some icicle lights and ornaments outside with some greenery on the porch posts. That's it for outside. Tree inside and that might be all. I'll talk the tree over with my wife and agent - it is an 8 ft blue spruce (artificial) that takes up 1/3 of the Living Room and is in front of the big bay windows. It might be too much. Thanks again for good advice - the mention that home features need to show is excellent.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
What crazyma says. Decorate tastefully. I've taken the staging certification (ASP) and while interior decorating and staging are two different things, and you don't want to go overboard with the personal, I have to balance that what I've observed about my buyers' reactions (one of the advantages of being a listing and buyer's agent is that you get to keep your finger on the pulse of both).

I disagree that Christmas decorations (ubiquitous as they are) cross the line into the personal, as long as they are relatively mainstream (no inflatables, please!). Just as having some furniture in the house that is relatively neutral (and neutrals on the walls that aren't BORING! I hear all too often from consumers that if they have to walk into another house with beige walls and beige carpet, they're going to be sick) but with some indicators of the kind of life the buyer could live in the house can make a house more marketable than one that is just empty, Christmas decorations that lean toward the staging rather than interior (or exterior) decorating end of things could be a plus.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:58 PM

I'll post some pictures in a couple days when all is done. I'll keep the fireplace simple with a candle and wreath or something similar on the mantle and stockings hung with care.

My wife suggested the tree off to one side, keeping 2 of the 3 bay windows fully showing. I'll measure and see how it looks. Everything else will probably stay packed away.

HorseLady - I love the comment about boring beige! We have a blue house with cottage white trim. The interior has off-white walls (look white in the bright light) and blue-grey carpet. The photos on the walls for staging are one I took at various National Parks around the country. They are canvas-wrap prints and are elegant. My agent loves them so much, I'll probably give her one as a gift after we close. No personal stuff anywhere. We even put away toothbrushes when we show.

Thanks again for the feedback. I am finding this site as valuable as Realtor.com.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
That blue spruce sounds too honking big for the space. Consider hitting one of the many sales this weekend and pick up a slim tree.

As I key this I am looking at my neighbors house all aglow with brite white LED lights. It's looks like a floresent Chistmas. And there is nothing sadder that a deflated blow up during the daytime.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:54 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
can't rep ya Mam

yes that sound like a huge tree- maybe consider a couple of smaller table top type trees, leaving as much floor space free as possible. Or even live poinsettas or christmas greenery.
I have some 18" lighted ceramic ( mom made'em-sentimental) trees I have used when we've had homes for sale during the holidays.

OT, hey guyfriendly, may I ask where one would get canvas wrap prints done? I am so outta the loop on stuff like that,lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate