Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:08 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times

Advertisements

If a tenant gets convicted, yes they will lose their assistance for life. I've had that happen to two tenants recently. But, if they cause damage, etc., you can give them notice to move and they'll just find another place. You can contact their caseworker, and they'll tell you "it's your tenant, your problem"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 6,696 times
Default Who are Section 8 recipients in New York City?

Many New Yorkers who have received Section 8 vouchers over the past ten years have lived in homeless shelters. The city housing authority made these applications a priority after being denied money to provide vouchers to those in need. Most people in homeless shelters are either developmentally disabled, mentally ill, ex-convicts, or have a criminal mentality.

That being said, there are many people who receive Section 8 vouchers who are elderly, physically ill or working but have a low income. These recipients desperately need more landlords in safe neighborhoods to participate in the Section 8 program. What is happening now is that low or no income recipients who are peaceful (and often fragile) are being forced to live in violent neighborhoods.

The Hasidic community receives a portion of these vouchers, but they generally don't live outside of their community and, I believe, their community members are their landlords. God help them if they ever make the decision to reject their faith, as they are completely dependent upon the state and their community.

In New York City, I think your chances of getting a tenant unable to be a good tenant are greater when renting to those with Section 8 vouchers. A very careful screening process (involving a long interview with the tenant) may prevent getting a bad tenant.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:12 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Some people are just plain deadbeats. They live to "game" the system and feel that they are "owed" a place to live. My parents made the mistake of renting their home to a section 8 recipient. The woman never bothered to go to the welfare office to register, so my parents got zero rent and it took over 6 months to finally get the Sheriff to put her and her child to the curb. Of course she trashed the place and stole the air conditioner.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 12,893 times
At Least Someone Knows That All People With Section 8 Are Not Animals. There Are Still Some Upstanding And Decent People That Appreciate And Respect Nice Things.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:50 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
People on Section 8 are not all bad. I have worked with many senior citizens and truly disabled people on Section 8 who keep their homes impeccable and have too much pride to ever stop paying their rent, even if it means all but starving. Sorry you had such an awful experience, and of course there are unfortunately plenty of people who are awful tenants who happen to be on Section 8.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
In my experience, I would never ever rent to a Section 8 tennant. It goes against my established and written standards used during tenant selection. It's those standards, as tough as they are, that have given me good renters who have never missed a rental payment or trashed the house when they've left. Often, we have left the landlord-renter relationship as lifelong friends.

The way I look at it is that I don't owe the poor, the scammers, the bums, the alcoholics, the nut cases, the "I'm Entitleds," or whatever is found in the Section 8 program, anything. I also don't owe the Government anything other than the payment of my taxes.

First and foremost, I am responsible for the care and welfare of my family and myself so that I don't end up on some form of public handout. Anything that jeopardizes my responsibilities to my family is something that needs to be avoided at all costs, especially when those people who do put my family's welfare in jeopardy do so without gratitude and and with an expectation of entitlement.

So, my fiscal and family responsibilities precludes my participation in any government entitlement programs that overpowers my rights, jeopardizes the welfare of my family, and forces people on me who I would otherwise not enter into business, or personal, relationships. They could easily, and often do, end up costing the landlord more than he has made. It is often a losing proposition for the property owner, which does a disservice to the most important people in the relationship, the landlord and his family.

So, I've happily and successfully avoided the Section 8 mess and I will continue to do so withoutout hesitation. I've seen too many horror situations involving Section 8 renters to risk it for absolutely no benefit and likely nothing but fiscal harm.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:55 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,481 times
Have any of you considered the difference in demographics when selecting a section 8 tenant? Selecting a single household elderly or disabled tenant is a lot different from selecting say, a young family with kids. Most Section 8 tenants are good, but you wouldn't know it because people don't hear about or notice the ones that cause no trouble.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Well that's one of the reasons I only buy single family homes to rent and have all the utilities put in my tenants name. Also put in your lease that you can enter the premises after 48 hours notice to inspect the property. Do it often. It can be a chore but it also can pay dividends. Kudos to you for investing and keep doing it!! Don't let this one tenant turn you away from it.
I'd never rent from someone who was constantly popping into my home to make sure I'm not destroying it.

My landlord lives abroad, thank god.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I feel for you. Section 8 housing is a very RISKY endeavor. There are very, very few good tenants and part of the reason is because they are poor and have attitude problems. Many are poor because, as you have already noticed, they are the scum of the earth (and they act like it). Others are poor because they lack skills or talent. We support them with our tax dollars because unfortunately that's the way the system was built. If things were up to me, if they want assistance, they have to EARN it. No free rides on my shift. You work and you be respectful (i.e. no breaking laws and pay your debts) then you get assistance. If not, then go be a homeless bum (perhaps I am heartless, but having to work hard for everything I have gotten my entire life because my parents were poor when I was young made me that way).

Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 AM

6 posts, read 20,069 times
I don't live in Seattle (yet), but I am on a Section 8 voucher because I am disabled and have no choice. I keep my apartment as clean as anyone else would and would not abuse anyone else's property. I have a bachelor's degree, am intelligent and not what people seem to think of as "Section 8 scumbags." It upsets me that people automatically put one with the other. If I had any other choice, believe me, I would take it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate