Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 PM

109 posts, read 324,159 times

Advertisements

with fsbo's you have no idea whether the potential buyers are even pre-approved for the right price range. It could be anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:18 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
In NJ we have IDX ( Internet Data Exchange) this allows your listing to be autopopulated to all the other websites and websites of individual agents, including associates of other Brokers. I do not believe you will get this with a limited service broker. Without IDX you are missing a MAJOR marketing component. These limited service (FSBO) brokers do not work on commission, they charge a flat fee, therefore they have no interest if your home sells or not. Basically, a rip off. JMO
Gotta call BS on this one.

IDX is readily available and pretty cheap, with no bandwidth restrictions and no commission or fee criteria asked.

One problem with discussing other folks' business models is the likelihood of spreading misinformation.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:06 AM

35 posts, read 90,568 times
Thanks for all the replies. I do intend to work with the seller agents because that's the only way to ensure more buyers. My main concern is which flat fee listing website to choose from. Most offer the same services and the package prices are comparable.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:10 AM

35 posts, read 90,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanewood View Post
with fsbo's you have no idea whether the potential buyers are even pre-approved for the right price range. It could be anyone.
Do buyers feel offended if I ask for pre-approval loan letter? I wouldn't if I were a buyer. Will asking for pre-approval letters reduce potential buyers especially with the current economy situation?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
I dont know what the fee would be, but for $100 or $200 it might be worth a shot. You NEVER know who's out there looking. That goes for anything you sell. WHen you go to sell your car the first thing you do is not put it on ebay for $100 in fees and no reserve. You start with craigslist and a $3 'for sale' sign at the hardware store. I'd do the same with a house.

If you dont see any serious buyers in the first month go find a realtor.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 AM

845 posts, read 2,327,814 times
Tell them to submit proof of funds with offer. Most Realtors would be better off today, if they had 50 Bucks for every "letter of pre-qualification" that couldn't close. Here is a trick I learned from the banks: Make EMD "non-refundable." Let them do their inspections first.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 AM

845 posts, read 2,327,814 times
I used a site that is 100% free, and even gives you free signage and web hosting. The mods deleted it. He must have had a bad day at the Corrections Officer Job Fair.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Non-refundable earnest money won't fly in the PNW. Just don't go there. Maiden of the 11% of folks that fold FSBO last year, 85% were sold via a buyer agent. In all likelihood a real estate agent will bring you your buyer. They will use the NWMLS forms and preapprove the buyer for you. You should get a preapproval letter with any offer.

And yes, MikeJ is right on the BS meter. Limited representation listings are done as Exclusive Agency listings out here and they feed into IDX systems. We don't discriminate against different business models out here.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden.jade View Post
Do buyers feel offended if I ask for pre-approval loan letter? I wouldn't if I were a buyer. Will asking for pre-approval letters reduce potential buyers especially with the current economy situation?
Not all pre-approval letters are created equal. Everyone of them contains multiple contingencies which allows the lender to back out. If you are going the FSBO route, hire a good attorney to look out for your best interests.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post

Here is a trick I learned from the banks: Make EMD "non-refundable." Let them do their inspections first.
Horrible advise to someone who wants to get sold and closed. Such a strategy would eliminate the overwhelming number of folk within the ready, willing and able buyer pool.

Buyers who are in a position to pay cash and make non contingent offers do so because they expect to pay less, often times, substantially less than current market value, when buying foreclosed property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate