Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
No I don't think you're being short-sighted. It's not common practice around my neck of the woods.
VERY common here in MN. I would say 80% of the FTHB deals I do have seller paid closing costs and I work with quite a few FTHB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
VERY common here in MN. I would say 80% of the FTHB deals I do have seller paid closing costs and I work with quite a few FTHB.
Interesting as I'm in WI. My realtor looked at me like I had lost my damn mind when I wanted to ask for closing costs on a spec model home, and told me they would turn it down. Needless to say I will never be giving that piranha a referral, but I don't see it too often in listings, and our buyer didn't ask for them either.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,580,010 times
Quote:
Interesting as I'm in WI. My realtor looked at me like I had lost my damn mind when I wanted to ask for closing costs on a spec model home, and told me they would turn it down. Needless to say I will never be giving that piranha a referral, but I don't see it too often in listings, and our buyer didn't ask for them either.
Builders may be reluctant to provide closing costs if it's not already part of their buyer incentives. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Most listings (at least around here) don't explicitly indicate seller paid closing costs availability, you have to request in the offer.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times
Will be buying a house here soon and I will not be asking for the seller to pay closing costs because those closing costs are tax deductible. Plus I would rather negotiate for a lower selling price than negotiating for the seller to pay for my closing costs. People don't understand that a majority of your closing costs are negotiable.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 AM

43 posts, read 212,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Will be buying a house here soon and I will not be asking for the seller to pay closing costs because those closing costs are tax deductible. Plus I would rather negotiate for a lower selling price than negotiating for the seller to pay for my closing costs. People don't understand that a majority of your closing costs are negotiable.
Only points and origination fees are tax-deductible, fyi.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas141 View Post
Only points and origination fees are tax-deductible, fyi.
And pre-paid interest and pro-rated property taxes.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
As Kas states, only origination and points are tax deductible. The kicker is that the buyer gets the tax deduction even if the costs are paid by the seller.

It might be better for you to go for the lower price than the seller paids, but that certainly doesn't mean that is true for all borrowers.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
And pre-paid interest and pro-rated property taxes.
Those items are not considered "closing costs".

Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
You won't see it in the listings here either. No need to put it in the listing.

Did you put in an offer on the spec home with the seller concessions or did your 'know it all' agent dissuade you from even making an offer.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Those items are not considered "closing costs".
Yea technically it is not a "Closing Cost" but it is part of the costs for you to close on the home that is tax deductible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate