Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:03 AM

41,011 posts, read 49,502,140 times

Advertisements

Your agent must work for one of the big companies who own all their related service companies such as the lending part. He may even be a stockholder which would be legal.

It's like going into Best Buy and them selling their Extended Warranties. They make more money on the warranty then they do the TV and the company requires all the clerks to push the product.

Tell the agent just like you do Best Buy... NO, stop pushing this and I don't want to hear it again. My favorite line if they bring it up is to ask "What part of NO do you not understand? " You may have to be a little belligerent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:35 PM

8,684 posts, read 23,024,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
But the thing is, our lender picks up my calls immediately, emails me back immediately and is local. (Five minutes from where I live). He's good at what he does and is a nice guy. It's a guy with my bank (Suntrust). It's not some weird online lender. My realtor has repeatedly pushed his in house lending services EVERY single time I talked to him and saw him. (Every time we saw a house, he would push his lender and he would say snide remarks about our lender).
I could see your side of it by saying he was trying to be diplomatic, but he's so far from being diplomatic. He talked to his lender, gave all our information to him, (property address, purchase price, downpayment amount) and then the lender sent us a GFE. This was ALL done without us asking for it or with our permission. In my opinion, that is crossing lines.

If he really was being diplomatic, then he should just tell me straight up why he doesn't like our choice rather than making snide comments.
I don't doubt for a minute your guy is a good guy. A majority of my business are returning clients, client's children, or referrals from clients. When I pre-qualify and put a borrower into the pre-approval process, the VERY FIRST thing I do is contact their Realtor and introduce myself (or reintroduce if we have crossed paths before). I let them know I am there for them, as well, and to not hesitate to call me with any questions or concerns in the house hunt. (How will your underwriter look at.....?) I follow up the telephone call with an email of all of my contact information and reiterate I am available pretty much 24/7. If they get my voicemail, to please leave a message, I almost always return the call within the hour. I also ask the client to let me know when they think they have found "the one" so I can start running various combinations of numbers for them and I am on alert to provide that lender letter. I will only provide a letter for the sales price they offer, never more, so not to tip off the seller they can really buy more house. I have yet seen a contract written quicker than it takes to reach me and provide the letter!

Other than your guy putting your agent at ease........yeah, I know it's not his job, but a little effort can create a lot of harmony.....if your agent is rubbing you the wrong way about your lender, it makes me pause to wonder if there will be other areas of the transaction that will rub you the wrong way. Maybe you aren't a good match for each other. Keep your eyes peeled for other potential conflicts. Remember, you are making the most expensive investment in your life, do so with confidence and comfort.

FWIW, I don't know what part of the country you are in, but in the Mid-Atlantic, SunTrust is really bogged down in delivering their full loan approvals and meeting their closing dates. Some of their best originators left just before the first of the year because they couldn't get loans closed. (It's a hazard of any lender right now w/ a large portolio - you are competing with the short sales and foreclosures).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate