Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 05:04 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,743 times

Advertisements

I think the # one reason for a person to hire an agent is because it is hard work - I don't think us RE agents hold some special license that means we are now especially qualified - I think anyone with a crap-lode of time can qualify themselves in a reasonable order, and quite frankly a local contractor/builder/engineer can walk on to a home site with a more important skill set than most appraisers/inspectors/realtors if they had simply been watching the market for a few months. But do most people honestly have the time to be Johnny on the spot with new listings, dealing with the countless phone calls, pulling maps, writing, presenting, depositing, documenting/copying, researching property history, organizing, scheduling, emailing, faxing, verifying, attending important time frames and so on? Agents see the problems in RE daily and tend to proceed with caution - if a buyer or seller is wise to proceed in a similar manner and has the time, I say go for it. If a person actually knows the exact questions to ask an agent in order to qualify the agent they may already be nearly as qualified - trusting yourself/ability more than an agents is not that far fetched when the last so-called expert jerked you around - if you are ready for the work and know how to protect your interest go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 05:43 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
the doctor comparison is laughable. it takes a few months to become a real estate agent. barriers to entry can't get much lower. unless you know nothing about RE or haven't bought before, then it's over priced hand holding. i wouldn't take advice from an agent anyway. they only get paid if a sale goes through because they are commissioned sales people. a lawyer gets paid for the actual advice and have much more schooling.
Read the thread.
Manderly did NOT compare agents to doctors.

You did.

But to run with your desire to compare the two...
I have great respect for the medical profession.
I would not consider the education and experience needed to practice real estate agency with that needed to practice medicine as equivalent.
No thinking agent would.
And Manderly didn't.

Why did you?

Old 04-02-2010, 05:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,745,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Read the thread.
Manderly did NOT compare agents to doctors.

You did.

But to run with your desire to compare the two...
I have great respect for the medical profession.
I would not consider the education and experience needed to practice real estate agency with that needed to practice medicine as equivalent.
No thinking agent would.
And Manderly didn't.

Why did you?

i just hope the op doesn't have a bad experience with the guy who makes his burgers.

i swear i'm not making a comparison to real estate agents. i just like to hope for the best.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:41 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
i just hope the op doesn't have a bad experience with the guy who makes his burgers.

i swear i'm not making a comparison to real estate agents. i just like to hope for the best.
You are grasping it. Like you, I see no comparison to real estate agents. The specific occupation or profession in the sentences, yours and manderly's, is moot.
But, the suspense of watching the learning process is comparable to watching paint dry. (No comparison of any occupation to painters implied.)
Let's ELEVATE! the focus a little, and I will explain the reference.

The reference is to inadvisable and emotional knee-jerk decision-making based on one experience rather than thinking things through and/or considering a larger sample. Avoiding knee-jerk decision-making is smart in almost all pursuits and would be a necessary skill in considering whether or how to hire a painter, burger maker, doctor, mechanic, or real estate agent.

Glad I could help.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:23 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish
... agents to doctors. ...
... Why did you?
Because he doesn't understand hyperbole.
That's actually different than knowing what the word means.

It's like picking up sarcasm when presented.
Some just don't get it.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
the doctor comparison is laughable. it takes a few months to become a real estate agent. barriers to entry can't get much lower. unless you know nothing about RE or haven't bought before, then it's over priced hand holding. i wouldn't take advice from an agent anyway. they only get paid if a sale goes through because they are commissioned sales people. a lawyer gets paid for the actual advice and have much more schooling.
I've worked in the legal field (was a legal assistant to the attorney with his name on the door). Guess what? A lot of attorneys work on commission and don't get paid until "the deal is consummated", meaning, they win the case. Those that do get a pretty hefty percent of the judgment, because they've taken on a pretty hefty percent of the risk - just like real estate agents do.

No, the level of education is not the same. But your statement that a lawyer gets paid for the actual advice and NOT on commission as a real estate agent does is not entirely accurate. It depends on the kind of attorney and the kind of law. An attorney can do ALL of the work, just as a real estate agent can, and lose the case (attorney) or have the deal fall through at the last minute through no fault of their own (real estate agent), and not get paid.

Where the two fields are the most similar is that in each, the client is paying for not only the work done but the risk taken by the person doing the actual work that they will not get paid after doing it.

Does your profession work that way, or do you get paid whether your work results in a successful conclusion for your employer or not?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:37 AM

Location: Fairfax, Leesburg, Ashburn, Sterling, Reston, Herndon, VA
25 posts, read 120,546 times
Default Hire an Agent

Have you ever changed Dentists or Doctors or Auto Mechanics? Think about it, one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch.

You will not get a discount for not using an Agent, it is illegal. In Virginia we have Dual Agency which will allow the listing Agent to accept your offer but they can not advise you on offer price, concessions that you would ask of the seller or anything that may be interpretted as adversely affecting the Seller's best interest. We are contractually bound to negotiate for highest and best on behalf of the Seller first and foremost. This is the single issue that gets more Agents ethics complaints and lawsuits in Virginia.

The Standard documents are the NVAR contracts and you can buy them at area NVAR stores. It is late and there is a lot I do not know about the property so this list should not be interpretted as complete. This will get you started but you really need to sit down with a professional to make an accurate determination.

Regional Sales Contract
Virginia Jurisdictional Addendum
NVAR Contingencies and Clauses
NVAR As IS addendum if it is a foreclosure

Dependent Upon Contingencies
Radon and Home Inspection
Financing, see below
Residential Property Disclosure
Appraisal Contingeny
Megans Law

Dependent Upon Age
Lead Based Paint Waiver and Disclosure

Dependent upon Financing
FHA Addendum
Conventional
VA Addendum

Also if it is part of an HOA you will need the
Request for HoA package

If it is a Short Sale
Short Sale Contingency
Short Sale Addendum

All of the Releases for the afore mentioned Disclosures and Contingencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo72 View Post
I thank you all for your responses, I do know where to get forms, but I like to keep my options open...and perhaps someone on this forum may have better forms than I have. With the last real estate agent I had (whom I fired) I felt that the agent was actually working against me and not for me. So at this moment in time I'm a little soured on the real estate agent front.

Thanks again for all the responses and please keep them coming.

Wahoo

Old 04-04-2010, 12:12 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Quote:
A real estate agent is in no way comparable to a doctor. Eight years of school plus residency vs a few classes and an exam? The only thing in common may be the lexus SUV
The work concept is comparable, not the formal education requirement to enter the profession. The client is paying the professional for the time/knowledge/experience they bring to the table to help them with a specific task. An attorney is comparable in the same way, even if formal education is not.

OP, as stated previously, it is unfortunate you had a bad experience. There are good professionals/bad professionals in every line of work. Perhaps you found a bad one but don't judge everyone from 1 experience. I encourage to interview several agents and hire the most capable. After all, you are hiring someone for a job. There are some great threads on here of how to find good agents if you'll do a search.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 8,909 times
I am not saying this because I am an agent, but I think you should really interview some agents and make sure you like the person and their business approach before hiring them. I can't stress how much I believe you should use an agent. Buying a home is a REALLY BIG DEAL! Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate